Assetto corsa ,,,,

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kek700, Sep 30, 2015.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I think they have a good plan even though I'm not exited about GT3's plus no Nordschleife but if the physics are good it doesn't really matter. It will draw you in.

2. Uff

Uff Registered

No idea: I guess we'll learn more about it in September. :) As far as I know, in AC1 they didn't implement tyre flex in terms of graphical effect simply because they didn't consider it a priority, it wasn't anything related to the physic engine or the impossibility to do it.
    In his recent message, Aris said (full message here)

"The tyre model has been heavily reworked. 3 dimensional flex of footprint and sidewalls with specific rates for each axis that are also influenced by the pressure and temperature. Temperatures now have even more layers and even get affected by brakes heating. Pressure heat and wear do not only change a simple grip variation but also the actual behaviour of the tyre, affecting values of slipangle, slipratio, and the grip curve as a whole. You're not only feeling a different grip but a different response too. Tyre also has a different response depending on the different surfaces it touches."

Considering that the team now hired a mechanical engineer (if I recall correctly), we should expect a nice step forward compared to AC1. The feeling of driving on puddles was very cool when I tried the sim in Misano, you could feel very well the car pulling in the puddle direction. As usual, the more competition, the merrier for us simracers. :)

3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

This is something PC2 doesn't have enough detail in the puddles. The car feels predestin when I touch water. Now that I think of it, rF2 doesn't have puddles? Which I think are over done in PC2 on tracks like Le Mans. There doesn't seem to be any crown to the track at all. Is Le Mans really like that?

4. Magus

Magus Registered

Looks like ACC will be using ray tracing using the RTX cards via the Unreal Engine, so dynamic shadows and lighting should truly be 'next-gen'.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

In the uk the rtx 2070 will cost £569,I ain’t paying that to just play one game lol

It’s not to bad for the USA flaks though $499 for the same card.

Turbo and vegaguy5555 like this.
  6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

.....and don't forget to get the new i9 processor well your at it so you can use the new "eye tracking" Star VR as well.... :)

7. Filip

Filip Registered

I guess people will have to decrease shadow quality in settings to get good fps

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I hope this new 3D tire model will fix their low speed physics? Looking forward to it.
    But now that I know about there wonky low speed skid thing doesn't seem to bother me as much now that I'm not wondering what's wrong with my stuff.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As far as I understood the information about ACC, they will use an evolution of the tire model in AC, wich allready features tire flex. What they will add in ACC to this is visual tire flex, so this won't solve any issues if the physical issues from the old tire model persist as it is more or a less a cosmetical detail, but a nice one to have nevertheless.

The cool thing is when the tire model is not only visualy stunning but also great from a physics standpoint. Lets see how they can improve, because whenever I fire AC up I have mixed feelings.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

How would it fix that if all they mean by "3D" is that they have extended existing physical properties to the visual aspect of the tire? I'm skeptical their new tire model adds anything but small extensions to the physics side of things. It's still a mathematical model with its limitation and no real rotating tire that is modeled. Nothing in their pre-release info suggests that they have changed their approach fundamentally. A physically-based tire model as in iRacing or rF2 takes years to build.

Emery, vegaguy5555 and ceecee like this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

They're going to have to update their tire model for water I would think?

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

ACC rain tire model will be interesting

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I had been asking about their low speed grip for years. Only recently they have openly omitted there is an issue.
    The way it is now I would imagine zero grip on wet, low speed conditions?

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i m sure they will develop their tire model
    well ac has their issues with tire model that affects everything from grip to throttle to braking to whatever
    but i m sure they work on it like all sim companies.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not the core philosophy, no. You can do a lot without going the whole hog like rF2 has, and for the most part (if you don't allow anyone to see what you're doing) they won't be able to tell the difference anyway. So having rain/water, flatspots, dirt/rubber pickup, etc etc, can all be done in almost any number of ways, we know rF2 does the tyre itself as well as or better than anyone (not perfect, there's no such thing) which is cool, but also makes extra features (like aquaplaning) more difficult. So depending on the game you might prefer not to try and catch up with rF2.

Quick question as this is the AC thread here - I tried this game recently at a friend's place, I think I did 4 or 6 'events' in the single player thing, and I had a time trial for points thing where I got a gold medal (sorry, fuzzy on the details, think that's right).. then immediately went into a race and was barely able to keep out of last position. Seemed to be a sudden change in difficulty which I didn't expect from a more polished single player experience (I understand rF2 is a mishmash of various content and AI performance, even rF1 outshone it in that way). Is that an unusual experience? Is it more consistent further on? I've generally not minded playing a 'fun' racing game with some sort of career progression, ignoring the lack of 'sim' aspects compared to rF1 or 2 (though I'm expecting these days AC and similar are a lot closer), but that taster didn't exactly leave me rushing home to buy it. Thoughts? (I'm willing to accept I suck, but I would expect to suck in the time trial too :p)

Rui Santos, vegaguy5555 and mesfigas like this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

@Lazza
    I don't know where to begin. I had so much trouble with AC they eventually banned me from asking any more questions, but your feedback is pretty much what I had experienced.
    Even in rF2's unfinished condition just seems more consistent and easier to dile in.

Rui Santos likes this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The problem is that the carrer mode is pretty half baken and they stopped to support and update the events pretty early in the game development. In one of the first events you had to drive with the Abarth against an BMW M3 E30 and there is no way you could win that race. For me the big drawback of AC is still it's AI as the multiplayer is pretty much GT3 on Spa, Nürburgring and Monza or Nords Tourist servers. If you are a fan of GT3 it is propably okish, if you can accept the public server lobbies, where the etiquette is in general far below from what I experienced in rF2 so far. So in that regard rF2 atleast has a somewhat sufficient AI to offer entertaining racing. Now one could argue that Leagues are propably the way to go for both games, but why would I bother with AC if rF2 offers the somewhat better driving experience for me?

To sum it up: if you want to have a decent offline experience, get Automobilista as it has the best package for that. It offers a championship tool, nice options and features like limited tiresets, number of practice sessions etc can all be adjusted in the menu and what I really like is the option to block escaping to the garage. It makes you take care of your car actually and feels alot more immersive.

vegaguy5555 and Rui Santos like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That event rings a bell, I think it was the race before the one I described. I worked out pretty quickly it wasn't an even field, might have got 4th or something and it seemed like that was decent without being spectacular. Then I did my apparently pretty good time trial, then went into a race with I'm fairly sure all identical cars (or mostly) and got hammered. I tried each again just to remind myself of times and work out how my speed compared in both scenarios, then on the second race attempt felt like I was nailing the track (for me), certainly much better than the time trial, and had no hope. Definitely not what I was expecting, shame to hear that's somewhat representative of the game.

I get the draw of multiplayer, racing offline has never been the same for me since rF1 (I still had GTR after playing rF1 and decided to give it another go, as I'd barely done any gaming with even my momo at that point.. and GTR was wonderfully polished and atmospheric, but racing against names on a computer just wasn't the same anymore), but there's still some fun to be had going through set scenarios with a building of elements or difficulty, be it racing or shooting. Games that are online-only can be a turn off.

Sounds like if I do go down that track AMS will be the one.

Thanks, and @vegaguy5555 too :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. Filip

Filip Registered

@Lazza
    Those events vary in difficulty, sometimes gold can be hard as silver in another event. They are fun addition and I would welcome something like that in rf2. In options of events you can see AI strength and iirc gold is somewhere around 95% depending on event. Maybe you raced 100% AI afterwards? Did you try to set up AI strength?

@vegaguy5555
    Nobody had the same problem like you did. You were repeating your problem in unrelated threads. Your ban was rightfully deserved. In the end it was something with your PC and antivirus on your system only.
    When you say AC takes time to dial in what exactly do you mean? Because most stuff in AC doesn't need any dialing in. It's funny you claim that rf2 (of all sims) is more consistent and easier to dial in!?!? I call this statement dellusional.

Mibrandt likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

This has nothing to do with people being delusional but different people having different experiences and for me it is the same. For me rF2 was most of the time a plug in and play experience as the support for the Driving Force GT is pretty damn solid and as everything is in the UI that I need to set up the game. AC hasn't been that smooth for me. I still have to fiddle with files to get rid of stuff cluttering my HUD, because I like to keep it as clean as possible and there is nothing in the UI that tells me where to find the shortcuts, or I don't know of any easy way to turn off stuff with keybindings because it is just not as obvious to me. With the DFGT I have allmost with every car pretty strong clipping so the first thing I need to do is reduce the FFB strength to 75%. Now all this may be different to other users using different hardware and software or having different demands.

As for the carrer mode: rF2 had exactly that with the race events but they stopped to support it, because it was the same halfbaken system that it is in AC. The way it is done in AMS is the way to go from my POV.

vegaguy5555 and Rui Santos like this.