[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Congratulations Woochoo and excellent work. :cool:

woochoo likes this.
  2. oppolo

oppolo Registered

magic atmosphere, thank so much for bringing it to last rf2 development

Louis and woochoo like this.
  3. pascom

pascom Registered

Thanks woochoo for this magic ambient! :)

woochoo likes this.
  4. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

Hy.
    No contact, but i have a bath :)

Sergio Loro, Jack7793, pascom and 2 others like this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

It could be the car error

bwana and Adam Helyes like this.
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

It worth to take a look. I had a crash like that i think in the same point but i thought i was because it was an online race (lag, code, ping...something related)

7. kimbo

kimbo Registered

8. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I've had a quick look at the meshes there. There is an invisible flat collision mesh along the fence line, but also the visible mesh is mistakenly set to collide. It's possible the collision of the car's front wing has interacted with the lower side of the visible mesh's lower rail collision, and got jammed under.

I'll make the quick fix on my side, and wait a short time to see if there are any other reports of things that can be quickly fixed. And then, I guess an update can be issued. Thanks for the report :)

That's a fantastic piece of Tasmanian history archived. I'm so happy it exists. It played a big role in the development of this project.
    It's from the 1964 race. Sadly Tim Mayer was killed in a McLaren Cooper in practice, though it's not mentioned in the video.

The car got light coming off the bigger hump before the pub, and either or both caught a gust of wind or was unbalanced on the brakes and swerved left into a plane tree. Mayer was thrown clear and landed a little further down the road.
    Visit that area in the sim to see the memorial stone to Mayer, by the fence behind the plane trees.
    Nowadays the stone is displayed in the pub, if anyone is visiting.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Louis, Mauro, Travis and 4 others like this.
  9. soramame

soramame Registered

I had a strange contact collision when I played a battle at Brabham in other track, so I think that it is not a track problem.

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It might be both the car and the track.
    I don't usually test it with cars that have front wings, so it's probably better that i've made the change :)

TassyDevil likes this.
  11. bwana

bwana Registered

I have read another post somewhere regarding the same with the BT44. Collision box issue ?

GrimDad likes this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Collision bug with March and/or Brabham were confirmed by devs.

bwana likes this.
  13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I'm reposting some real-life Longford material I've just found via the huge and informative Longford thread on The Nostalgia Forum.
    The thread started in... 2001... with a call for assistance with a project making Longford for GPL...
    https://forums.autosport.com/topic/17388-longford-the-reims-of-the-south-pacific/
    My own Longford project still includes a couple of the original GPL house models, far away from the roadside, with thanks to Bernd and Gustaf :D That thread has been a big help for this project.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A nice write up about the real-life Longford Circuit. It describes a lap around the circuit, with photos and quotes
    https://primotipo.com/2018/07/05/longford-lap/

And some film from 1961 (no sound)

And a short interview with Frank Gardner in the '80s, about Longford in the '60s, at Longford, in front of the pub, with mention of the train

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I've had Longford on display at a couple of events in Tassie.
    On Monday there was a game developer's meetup (see pic), where I had Longford in the rF2 viewer program on my old 2011-spec machine (had to turn down a lot of settings, and still wasn't making 60fps :D ). The second screen there is showing my recent Longford "Race" promo video. For the last part of the evening the third screen was running Longford with a gamepad, by special request.

20181015_183800-edit.jpg
    Hobart: this photo was from just after I'd finished setting up - there were actual people attending the event later :p

On Tuesday there was a public display in Launceston, where I had driveable Longford running on a TV with a friend's old Momo wheel (my T300 has broken :( ). Heard from a few people who had either been playing/driving Longford for years, have family that attended the old races, or are just generally familiar with the area. I was also delighted to hear a couple of my friends talking about Longford lore, specifically Lex Davison crashing into the pub. Delighted my track can help to pass on stories like that :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Louis, bwana, BlkJello and 33 others like this.
  16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

please allow me to briefly mention that the other game in the above photo is also made by me :D
    > > > S p i r a l a g o n < < <
    It's a 3D platformer that I hope to release this month. Obviously I'm hoping to encourage any rF2 fans to check it out ;) ;) ;)
    I've got a thread going in the "Other Games" section of the 397 forums if you'd like to have a look

it looks and sounds like this

here is a link to my new twitter for the game, if you're into twitter, or like gifs
    https://twitter.com/termbutton

17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Just noting that my game, Spiralagon, is now available on itch.io (donation or free)
    https://terminalbutton.itch.io/spiralagon
    and
    check out the rF2 forum thread for Spiralagon in the Other Games section if you like
    - - - - - - -
    I know you're here for Longford news, so I promise I won't be regularly using this thread to promote Spiralagon.
    Currently there is no Longford news, but I've got to say I'm happy to have worked so hard trying to make it look like real life, and it has been fun to not have that pressure with Spiralagon :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    jayarrbee36, pkelly, Louis and 6 others like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Woo, Longford is a gem already.

pkelly and woochoo like this.
  19. bwana

bwana Registered

Good luck with the new project , man of many talents

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

By my calculations, this Longford project of mine is, give or take a few days, ten years old!
    There are no surprise announcements or updates currently in the works, but thanks to everyone who has supported and enjoyed it through the various platforms and updates since the first release for rF1 around mid-2010. That first version took around 18months, from memory :)

The first preview video from back in the day. Nov 29, 2009
    Thanks to Bob's Track Builder!