[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. philrob

philrob Registered

barry arends@
    Lots of people have installed this program without any problems, most of the false Virus warnings
    are from people using Defender.
    Try the manual install archive in the first post.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Barry Arends I've submitted it and cleared it with a couple of antivirus providers, some others (like Defender, as philrob says) are less responsive and cautious. Not a bad thing on balance.

The .exe only installs the files which are in the manual install archive (it also reiterates to NOT contact Motec for support) so just grab that instead if the exe isn't working.

Motec logging support is, at some point, going to be integrated into the game itself, so I don't really think it's worth repackaging this to try and avoid the false positives. I could change my mind on that at some point, but we'll see.

3. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Guys, how are you checking your suspension telemetry?

I've been having 2 issues:

1) A lot of guides talk about Spring adjustment in relation to Ride Height + Damper Pos. But the channel Susp Pos. logged is not a reading of damper course usage. Is there a way to calculate that?

2) On the Suspension Histogram, Motec calculates Damper Velocity automatically, using Susp Pos. but in the Calculations tab, it says "Use motion ratio to convert suspension position to damper position. Use 1.0 if measuring damper position". So we shouldn't be using the default value of 1.0, right? How do we know what kind of values Motec is expecting from Susp. Pos and Damp. Pos? And how do it change it accordingly?

4. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Links on first post don't work!

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I just tried them and they work. Maybe it was temporary?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Fabio Pittol First, I'm no expert in these matters, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Damper position, in itself (as an absolute number), shouldn't really be important, since all it does is damp the movement of the suspension (which it's aligned with) and its effects are constant. It's not like a spring where zero compression = zero force, fully compressed (basically) = infinite force. So, for the purposes of tuning damper settings, suspension position which leads to suspension velocity which is equivalent to damper velocity should be fine.

For absolute figures motion ratio should definitely be taken into account. As far as I'm aware the suspension position reported by the game is always in alignment with the damper, but obviously it's basically never going to be in alignment with the wheel's movement relative to the chassis, so for certain tuning you need to take that into account.

Motion ratio isn't shown directly in any of the files, even if they aren't encrypted. It's a product of the suspension geometry, so you either need to analyse the suspension or perhaps arrive at a close approximated figure through some testing. You could either try changing fuel levels at rest and contrasting the delta of the ride height and the suspension travel, or you could probably plot a graph of ride height vs suspension travel and identify a trend indicating the motion ratio.

Bump stops are another matter, their location is specified in the HDV files if you can get to them but they're defined relative to ride height, not suspension position, so that adds another layer of complexity I don't have the knowledge to solve :)

7. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Registered

On a particular car, I feel like I'm getting incorrect readings for camber FL and camber FR. It's like they've been switched around. Is it possible a modder could've done this by accident or are these figures coming straight from the physics?

8. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Thanks for the explanation! What you said regarding Damper velocity calculations is fine! It's fine then, I was just wondering if was getting the right information (not only just the right channel name). But you cleared it!

What I was talking about was really the bump stop, to check if the damper is reaching it's full course and becoming useless. As I'm usually driving the newer (encrypted) cars, I'll probably never know :(, but I'll try with a car with the HDV available and look for a valid relationship.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think left and right would always be correct, might take a real modder to answer that one definitively.

But, many of the settings on the setup screens can be given 'Special' values that override what's shown on those screens. So it's possible you could specify negative camber values to show positive and vice-versa, but it would seem a strange decision to take :)

Kevin Ryan likes this.
  10. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

I have this one :

Attached Files:

11. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

That looks like the preview, click on the download button on the page before:

upload_2018-8-16_12-16-59.png

Lazza likes this.
  12. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Ok thank you !

13. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I have a question of logic because unfortunately there is no real documentation about the optimal operating conditions for the tyres to be found. I notice that the temperature distribution of the tires from the inside to the outside differs greatly from the standard values for caster in the GTE. In rFactor1 it was always said that the difference from inside to outside should not exceed 10 degrees Celsius. Here it's more like 20-40 degrees Celsius. I can't imagine that this is really real, the outer edges of the tires are hardly used. Doesn't it make sense to adjust the camber so that the tires are in maximum contact in the fastest corner, which should be reflected in the fact that the temperature in these corner is almost identical from the inside to the outside?

14. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

rF2 is different, the correct value difference is around 25.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Assuming for the moment that maximum contact is optimal, you still won't get equal temperature across the tyre because the effective camber in the middle of a corner will be different to that along a straight, or around a different type of corner, so the tyre is arriving at the corner with uneven temperatures. You may get equal temperature-change across the tyre if it has maximum contact, which you can graph in i2Pro by adding maths channels that are calculated as the derivative of the various tyre channels (derivative = rate of change). But exactly even may still not be achieved because although the heat being generated is even across the tyre, the heat loss will be slightly higher in the rubber that's already hotter and in contact with the track (same as a very hot coffee will lose more heat in a given time than a stale coffee at 30° with 25° ambient).

Now, back to that first assumption, there's a phenomenon called 'camber thrust' which means that maximum cornering potential (lateral force generated by the tyre) is actually achieved with some positive camber, not a perfectly level/even contact patch. In rF1 you could use the tyre temperature deltas to determine the correct setup camber settings to achieve 'flat' tyres in a target corner, and then add the conveniently-defined 'optimum camber' value in the tyre files. rF2 has undone that trick by no longer having a simple value; optimum camber is determined by the tyre model, also meaning it will vary with speed, slip and load just like real life.

JuanP006 and Andregee like this.
  16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Many Thanks. But do you mean surface or rubber temperature?

17. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Ok many thanks , i understand that, what i now its really complicated to handle with the correct values. What is your
    recommendation

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It depends on the mod, track, your driving style, and the circumstances :p

When you see people recommending a certain spread in games, it could be because the game they play (or previous games) had a simpler model that either explicitly rewarded a particular spread, or the model was simple enough that you could basically deduce the best temperature pattern for it. The final option is you might get people recommending a particular temperature spread because through practice they've found their best setups have that sort of spread, and I think similar recommendations you'll find from real life follow that pattern. But that's still very specific to particular cars and conditions, and it will still vary from track to track.

So I wouldn't worry too much about specifics.

19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Rubber temperature, difference between inner and outer.

I stop the car after the finish line and wait around 20 seconds to stabilize temperatures and press escape.

This way you dont need motec, just read the setup page temperatures

20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Ok. The best way would be to test specific settings. But there is one problem for me. Hotlapping is so boring so that i think on 1000 things while driving but not on driving. The only way i can keep my thoughts on the track is racing.:( So i have to asume i will never get to know whats the best setting.:D