MS is at it again..another large Win10 update

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davehenrie, Aug 13, 2018.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It is supposed to provide online protection, but that always worries me when most gaming has at least some online component.

2. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Yes its frustrating that the have these updates with useless features.

The problem with MS is they have switch essentially to a rolling release windows. so in order to make more money over the years without releasing a new version they bloat it with telemetry, candy crush, ads and useless features. unfortunately the only version of windows 10 that is worthwhile is enterprise and even that has crap preloaded,actually so the next best is windows LTSB which is essentially what enterprise use to be with windows 7. you can install security updates without feature updates.

sadly with home, pro you cant chose what you get its thrown down your throat. Windows 7 can be safely used online with all the latest security patches until 2020. and windows 8.1 which still lets you choose security updates online i believe is to 2023.

i'm almost tempted to roll back onto my enterprise version of 8.1

better yet if MS released office for Linux id move my work full time to linux system and leave windows 10 spyware crap as gaming only lol.

*Rant over*

M D Gourley likes this.
  3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Our company went from XP to Ubuntu many years back and company smartphones (Nokia 8) and tablets are also using Ubuntu (2017).
    It is easy to use dual boot and install Ubuntu to working purposes and use Win10 to gaming;)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Which update is this? I found a feature/change list for RS5, but it didn't seem to say anything about online protection.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I haven't looked up which version, the online protection was put up on the screen during the final portion of the update, took over a half hour on my system. My other game I play often is World of Warships and that will not run after the main screen loads.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh, right. Probably just the April update then. I think the blurb you saw is just talking about new Defender features, you can switch it off.

7. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Yes well that's the plan, gaming on windows 10 only. I already dual boot with Fedora 28. i mainly mess around with it for web surfing and some Linux steam games. But for work, my workflow i need outlook exchange and access to one drive and excel constantly for work. libre office simply doesn't cut it and evolution mail not really either. but id move over in a heartbeat if MS released native apps. but they wont because a lot of corporate environments would move to Linux. I generally enjoy the Linux experience overall though :)

Ari Antero likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I thought I had recovered everything from the April update, but what it appears I really did was un-install the update and merely post-poned it's installation. My wheel and pedals are working, which last April they most decidedly were not, so I must have implanted SOMETHING that helped out. Wows is still dead in the water tho....

9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Happened to me yesterday and as always, it f*cked up my simvibe.
    I've tried a few things I found on google before to try stop automatic updates altogether but it never works, it still does whatever it wants.
    I freakin hate it, that's why I never use windows except for gaming.

10. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Did you know something about windows core os???
    Seems something is cooking at MS...a modular ayssys where you choose what you want to install would be great...btw that Xbox gaming bar is the thing I hate more...

11. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I disabled windows update

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well I got everything working finally, took about 3 days. I'm really not sure what the final fix was, Wows just started working after my repeating some of the fixes I had done earlier. I had "THOUGHT" that I had disabled the update process. But all I did was delay it. I left my system on while running some errands and when I came back my motherboard BIOS screen was being displayed. Once I got that booted up, the Windows update came steaming...(streaming??) ((no...STEAMING...)) down my pipe.

13. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

would you care to share how? I think we could all do with that info.....

Goanna likes this.
  14. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

mesfigas likes this.
  15. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Hmm I'd like to believe it will work but the article says:

"This guide only blocks monthly cumulative updates, which usually patch security vulnerabilities and improves the overall performance of Windows 10. If you want to avoid automatic installs of feature updates, such as the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, you need to modify the settings to defer major releases."

And all the April 2018 Update article talks about is how to postpone it.....like all other big updates, they eventually get installed.

Thanks, I'll still try it (like I've tried other things as well) but I'm not keeping my hopes high.

16. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Stranger, i dont remember this april update. Maybe was a small one that i didn't notice.

17. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

A strong indication that the above advices in the windowscentral.com DO NOT work is that all the advices end with one of the following sentences:
    Alternatively, if disabling the policy isn't working, you can also use...
    If disabling the Windows 10 update service policy isn't working, you can also use...
    How to delay the Windows 10 April 2018 Update while still getting updates...
    If you want to avoid automatic installs of feature updates,() you need to modify the settings to defer major releases.

The reason for this is that Microsoft has created a moneymachine without any fundamental possibility to disable it.
    Basically behind all the Win10 updates (both usefull and not usefull) there is a constant change in the update functions core to make it impossible to crack this function.

Hehe you are free to make a guess what version of Windows Im running :)

18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The latest windows ten update which fixes cpu vulnerabilities caused my games to all stutter, I’ve found a way to uninstall and hide the update so it doesn’t reinstall

19. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Do you care to share how you did it?
    My W10 hasn't notified yet of an update but I'd like to be prepared in case it does and fuks up my games.

20. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’m a little wary of advising people to do things with windows, but I got the method of the Microsoft website so next time I’m at my pc I will post links