Setups Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniele Vidimari, Aug 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I find strange the fact we don't have a thread about setups, so here we go!
    You can share your setups, any cars @ any tracks, i'll update the list in this 1st post.

Let's start:

Okayama 2017

Formula Renault 2014: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlwKulLSNB7TicAEIhVXO2speYTveA
    (i don't remember the best lap but i won the race (40 min), remember to open the brake ducts and the radiator)

Road Atlanta 2017

Enduracers LMP3: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlwKulLSNB7TicAFYyws0M__OI7fsg
    (used in a 12h race, lapped in 1:12.xxx during the race, + downforce - top speed, we were struggling a bit in the straights but the pace was very fast, tires lasts 2 full stints)

Virginia International Raceway (mod v1.60)

Porsche 911 RSR GTE: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlwKulLSNB7TicADS-_AxPo7BGUJBQ
    (best lap 1:40.9xx - alien best lap was 1:40.2xx)

to be continued...

2. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I learned to tune on the track rather than on a PC. Some mods are very similar to real behavior, most are at least in the ballpark, some are just trash. rF2 tire physics went through some minor changes over the last few builds and are now pretty good, probably 75% accurate anyway. (S397 still needs to nail down the thermal dynamics).

That said, it typically takes me about 3-4 short lapping sessions to dial in suspension, tires, brakes and gearing with a good mod.
    Knowing how each tunable asset responds is vital for a good driver. For example damper tuning; if the rear snaps into oversteer on deceleration lowering the Slow Rebound keeps the tire coupled to the ground as the rear rises. No doubt brake bias and engine braking settings are "overlapping elements" that multiply the effects of incorrect damper settings. Its things like that which it seems most people don't get.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  3. Mr. Rainbowroad

Mr. Rainbowroad Registered

Has anyone here experience with Tire wear? I was testing the lmp2 of the new endurance pack and always ran into some temp problems. The Tires just get too hot and nothing really helped. (Camber, Tire Pressure, driving style) so is there anything else that affects Tire wear beside Temps? For example if I lock the front Tire, does the "Tire wear" come from the temp which goes up, or becouse it is standing still and has friction with the track? Thanks.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There are a few different factors here. There is physical tyre wear (abrasion), the wearing down of the rubber due to friction. This will lead to less grip. Then there is rubber ageing because of high temperatures, which will make it less grippy. Finally there's the actual current rubber temperature, which will produce less grip when it gets too hot.

5. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

Hi John , you have described my problem perfectly , Dialing in suspension, tires, brakes and gearing ,I rarely succeed ,
    There most be a up to date guide to help gaining proper knowledge on the matter ,is there ?

6. whitmore

whitmore Registered

7. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

8. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

This was a huge improvement to the base setup. I am now testing another setup for our shared Fuji race, and I will share that if it proves to be better.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

At the moment I'm not aware of any. Up until about a month ago I had a server with two websites that provided animated examples of setup & tuning but recently change server providers and haven't reloaded those two sites. (I have about a dozen sites I've composed over the last 20 years).

rfactor-league.com was based on rF1, where I took screen shots of each of the User Input screens, and on "Mouse-Over" would open a text box giving a summary, and when clicked gave a detailed explanation of how the settings respond. Also included the basics for how to interpret and apply Data Acquisition file replays.

racecartuner.com was developed entirely with Flash animation as a tutorial for aspiring track tuners & engineers.

I'll keep the domains but not sure if or when I'll upload them to the new server as it will take quite a bit of work on my part to update.

Turbonetick likes this.
  10. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

Thank You John ,:)