Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

2. Depco

Depco Registered

Judging by many of the responses in this thread Studio 397 may need to fully Implement a hard lock to Horizon to satisfy all the extra sensitive people.

3. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

I agree !It's a step in the right direction but could do with a step higher than high .Regardless Iv had lots of fun over last few might running Sebring in vr !

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

This was hotfixed earlier in the week

Latest Update! 30-07-2018

Steam Build ID 2989661
    Steam Build ID 2942931 (dedicated server)

- Fixed dirt map not working on all Sebring layouts
    - Fixed inverted stabilize horizon controls

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Which car did you take to Sebring ? There are some singleseaters that at some point in the track have all 4 tires off the ground, unless you act on the setup, I think little can be done on this matter, but I think it's more that the car is unfit for the track than there is some problem with RF2 .

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think a solid lock is required, and it's a bad idea with ovals and hills anyway. From my own testing I'm pretty sure they could implement at least one higher setting than what we have, without changing the way it works (like going to a complete lock).

7. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

A solid lock should be available as an option, crucial for some in VR.

Olijke Poffer and Cote Dazur like this.
  8. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

Indeed. I don’t get nausea but My eyes don’t like it. I get very tired. I have set it to high and is ok but I also would love to see a complete lock.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to be clear, by complete/solid lock I mean a view that doesn't roll or tilt at all. Meaning that if you go up a steep hill you can't see up it, and if you're on an oval your view is still level with the horizon. We've seen that in games before and it doesn't work well.

The method they're using to stabilize the view can be extended over a longer period of time than it is, giving a smoother view, you just slowly start to introduce more lag when you change the car orientation (tilt mainly, I think they aren't stabilizing roll). So it could be stronger without a complete horizon lock.

10. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

In Project Cars it works like a charm.. (100% lock to horizon).

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Grrr , I just bit my lip while eating breaky and reading this on my phone !
    Why do I need to read this forum first thing in the morning !

I hope 100 % lock comes for those who need it just an option .

Olijke Poffer likes this.
  12. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

would be nice to get some feedback from Devs just to say either it's not possible or we are aware and are looking into it.
    if it isn't possible I could do with the hard drive space :)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can someone explain this to me? Again, when people say 'complete lock' or 'solid lock' I envisage something like this:

With low FOV on a screen this makes tracks like Bathurst undriveable. With VR I can only imagine it would require looking up and down which would seem a bit weird if your wheel isn't tilting with you.

So is this what we're talking about? Or some other mix of options (in PCars) that gives more smoothing but also lets you see up and down hills, and not feel like a stunt driver on ovals?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

According to this YT (I don't own PCars2) there's a lot more to just a simple "LTH" setting, there are many settings to adjust to get a feeling for the user:

Personally from that video I already prefer the Default settings, the "new VR settings" as he calls them are way too steady but as before everyone is different when it comes to motion sickness.

-=-=-=-=-

My main point on the subject is this:

- Real Race drivers at Sebring (for example) have G-Force to help aid them, they can feel the car movement underneath them on the bumps and as such their brain is already calculating what to do with the eyes long before they even know it. Yes they still feel the bumps are harsh as hell but they have all the ingredients to deal with the bumps in a realistic and importantly a natural way, whereas in VR:

- We're sat "Static" in our racing chairs, we have no G-Force to help us, we cannot feel the car move underneath us therefore our brains are telling us the world is "flat" so when the Vision in the HMD jumps all over the place the brain tries to compensate and in doing so nausea in some people sets in - it's unnatural. Simply because the Eyes see one thing but the Body is not sensing anything else - it's like we're trying to rewrite our brains to learn a new VR Sense in a way. Like when most people try VR Sim Racing for the first time they get headaches, nausea, they can only last a few minutes then gradually over time they can last a few more minutes, then an hour, then more until their brains have adjusted to this "new unnatural world" and everything is fine.

So with all that the end result is quite simply that VR Racing is much more of a personal experience than Flat Screen/Monitor Racing, everyone's brains work in different ways to interact with their environment (some people get Sea Sick when others don't for example). People like me can deal with a few bumps at Sebring and long VR stints, others are limited to short stints and need a higher than HIGH Stabalize Horizon setting, others can drive for hours but also may require a higher than HIGH setting...we're all different so finding a setting to suit everyone isn't easy.

Thats where I think S397 have done a brilliant job in giving us the options we have with Stabalize Horizon and I agree that for those more affected a higher than HIGH setting would be good for them, in the meantime though I encourage those people to at least try and adapt to what we have now - you never know your brains may adjust and in the end Low/Medium or High might actually be OK :)

15. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

The one on the right is whats needed. If you drove up to a cliff in a real car, would you look over your dash to see where the bottom is, I'd say you would, but with rFactor they raise the bottom of the cliff up to your windscreen so you can see whats ahead which is more like being in the Inception movie, only the horizon bounces, along with the fences and trees etc, which my brain interprets as not being quite right.
    Another example would be sitting in a car with a bunch of guys bouncing the car up and down, you would see the dash and the roof and bonnet all going up and down but the horizon would still be in the same spot. If it was the rfactor way, the whole world would be bouncing up and down while you were sitting still in the car.
    These are exaggerations of course, it's much more subtle in rFactor, but it's enough that I and others can't play anywhere near as long as we can in other sims like iRacing and Assetto.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@OzzyNeil I think we're talking about different things. If you drive up a very steep hill with the 'lock to horizon' shown, you'll only see your virtual steering wheel unless you physically tilt your head up. Downhill you'll only see the cockpit ceiling unless you look down towards your lap (physically).

The car moving around over bumps, instead of the external surroundings, is something I wholeheartedly agree with.

17. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

It's very simple ! Copy what the other sims do ! Thanks for the improvement anyway !

18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

As long as S397 don’t cock up how it was I don’t care, I never had a problem. AC's locked horizon is plain weird.

IMHO. YMMV. OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR MAY APPEAR CLOSER THAN THEY ARE. etc. etc. etc.

19. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

I don’t get sick whith the lock to horizon off but when I turn it on my eyes get a lot less tired. It is just more friendly for my eyes.

20. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Yeah it's hard to explain Lazza, I did wonder if I was explaining the same thing, but as JohnGrim said, do what the other sims do, it works great. I'm not sure if some people are in this thread who are using monitors, but this is pretty much a VR thing.