Optimizing VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by marceloariel, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. marceloariel

marceloariel Registered

Hello, since a year ago I have an oculus rift. I read the corresponding thread a lot, and at that moment I had to put almost everything to the minimum to get 90 fps, I have a gtx1060 of 3 gb and a ryzen of 5 1600.
    I realized that the performance has improved (which I really appreciate), but I can not conclude that I can increase to achieve a better visual quality without affecting performance so that the aws does not come into operation, which gives me a bit of stuttering when it happens.
    If I increase the SS to 120, it is already too much, but I do not know if I have more quality textures, Antialiasing, etc. There are many variables and it is not easy for me to optimize them.

Sorry for my english, I use a translator.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. whip

whip Registered

i have a 1070 and with pretty much minimum settings can't hold 90fps when other cars are on track, tested with gt3's

it's terribly optimized

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What are the rest of your system specs? There has been a discussion that the HTC performs better under Steam than the Rift. Rift apparently does not have a compatible software link directly to Steam(or rather no rF2 driver that directly calls the Rift.) or something in that area. Hence Rift users essentially have to have all the data translated via an extra processing step which slows down the over-all performance. Hopefully another user can more clearly explain this.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  4. whip

whip Registered

yeah i had the thought about maybe vive performs better being steamvr only but never checked it out, it was the 1070 that couldn't hold 90 the cpu appeared to be keeping up ok,

6700k at 4.4ghz
    16 gb ddr4 3000mhz ram

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

turn everything off in steam apart from bypass to oculus, use oculus debug tool for better performance.
    Your system Vive or Oculus it doesnt mater its your configuration you simply need more POWER, my GPU GTX 1080 @ 2050mhz+ and CPU 8700K @ 4.8ghz just about handle rfactor a 1.5 supersampling in oculus debug reasonably well. Oculus just released a firmware update and I'm seriously loving it with rFactor everything is atleast twice as responsive.

philmcqueen likes this.
  6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Bart S Are you able to clarify where to find this setting? TIA

7. whip

whip Registered

as far as i know it doesn't exist

i know people want to defend this and i get that but the fact is this graphically runs very poorly when you compare it to other sims, even on lowest settings this runs like crap,

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

He means in the Oculus Debug Tool you can set SS.

Personally I leave that at default and use SteamVR SS and with my rig (specs in sig) I'm able to achieve 90FPS in certain situations just fine with Medium/High settings.

9. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

If I may ask, why do you need 90fps in VR? I have an RX480 and an I7 4770 and I can run in VR decently at 60fps. I notice a little bit of stutter when it drops to 45 but it doesn't seem to make my already crappy driving any worse. I use reprojection turned on all the time and have a Lenovo headset. I'm perfectly fine with it not running at 90fps constantly. Someone tell me what I'm missing. I've been thinking of a Vega 64 or a 1080 when the new line of video cards come out and the price on the Vega and 1080 drop to the $400s, but frankly I'm in no real rush.

10. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

i7-7700k at 5GHz and a 1080 here. With 1.0 PPD and low/medium settings (shadows off, environment and track reflection off) I can hold 90 FPS with 12 cars showing in most conditions. The transition to night is tough, but full night is doable. Rain...yeah, not so much still and post processing effects steal too much as well.

It's definitely gotten better in the last month though. Hopefully, more is on the horizon.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What is this and how do I do it ?

philmcqueen likes this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I get a mostly 90 fps in VR but it did take a bit of tweaking and a decent PC but I have it really nice now .
    I cant stand ASW and the stutter that comes with it . Anymore optimisation S397 bring will always be welcome .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  13. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

Would like to know as well. :D

14. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Still looking, checked all the settings in the OBT mentioned by MarcG and don't see a setting that says anything remotely like 'bypass to oculus'. MarcG states this relates to SS, but seems like something different suggested by Bart S, but as he hasn't replied yet, we won't know o_O

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

oh right yeah sorry I misread his post, no idea then as it's not something I've heard of before. @Bart S ?

16. Eddy

Eddy Registered

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Lots of really great info & posts on the rfactor 2 VR settings & tips thread

I find rfactor2's consistantly not good eg some tracks/cars are fine on fps, others not so
    +some non isi/studio397 tracks are dire I just dont bother with those

lime rock park with 10 skip barbers on I use as a benchmark, its a nice looking track & decently optimised
    certain other offical tracks are a tad easier to run others not so

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Sorry for taking a while to reply
    When I said bypass I didnt mean there is an actual bypass function or button, I meant basically turn everything off that steam does to try enhance the oculus.
    Start => SteamVR so you see the little window showing headset and sensors connected.
    Click on the SteamVR menu there and select settings from the list
    General => all unchecked bar Do not disturb and minimise to system tray
    Applications => all games set to 100%
    Video => use manual overide I set 100% as I overclock this is pending on your system capabilities recommended for me is 82%
    Developer => everything unchecked no need to press any buttons

I also have Dashboard off
    Chaperone Bounds off
    Async Reprojection off

once you have done all this open oculus debug tool
    Asynchronous spacewarp disabled
    Adaptive gpu performance off
    and pixel per display 1.5 works nice for me, balance this with manual overide in steam video settings

following from here is your nVidia setting which is off topic

I have also sharpened the road surface somewhere it was a while ago but the detail is much more dramatic and real

19. marceloariel

marceloariel Registered

Thanks for the comments for me or for the other members of the community.
    I can only increase something of the minimum, I can not reach my gpu for ss 1.5, so I asked what is the best change.
    If I had to choose one only, it would be better to increase
    -circuit detail
    -AA
    -Texture detail
    -texture filter.
    Thank you very much.

20. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

Thanks for the info.. but I would love to see what your Nvidia drivers settings are. :D