What a great SIM!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Levelup1, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

You are right on ! I got 4 of them setup in chassis mode, and working on the other 4 in extension mode.I had to turn chassis mode down a little at Sebring. I was not prepared for that many bumps (lol). I finally got the settings right and it is beyond Awesome!

Alessio Feletto and Alex72 like this.
  2. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

These are on my to-do list! I have been overwhelmed with the amount of content, especially some of the F1 cars.That Renault 3.5 is addictive!

Alex72 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  3. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

It's a phenomenal sim, rescued from potential obscurity by S397. As far as I'm concerned, the past few weeks have been nothing but home runs, with updates, fixes, VR rain performance improvements, GTEs and Sebring. The absolute epitome of sim racing.

Yet recently, despite the home runs, Steam reviews have been going down. This morning dropping from 'Mostly positive reviews' to 'Mixed reviews'. However, if a reviewer recommends Forza 7 instead, then rF2 was probably not for him/her anyway.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Jason Mullin, bwana, Travis and 3 others like this.
  4. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I saw that. That one review dropped it down to mix concerning the g29/920 ffb. The other complaint seems they're mostly into other types of racing. If they would have gotten Rfactor 2 setup right, there is noway they could say those things with a straight face. Its a lot of fan boying going on also, to direct individual's toward their sim of choice.

bwana and vegaguy5555 like this.
  5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@Levelup1 Which shakers are you using and which amp? I've been using one Buttkicker Gamer 2 with simvibe but would entertain the idea of 4x in chassis mode if I could get the right kit.

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Steam Reviews kicking rF2 down a peg. You know what made this happen? That Gran Turismo tagline they introduced a bunch of years ago "Gran Turismo - The Real Simulator". A friend of mine - very mucho arcado guy - kept telling me "Gran Turismo is the REAL simulator! Just read on the box, dude!".

Sigh... Nothing i said changed his mind. After all it was right there on the box, lol. :D

vegaguy5555, bwana, Levelup1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can't argue with marketing. It also says a lot about rF2 that it garners such admiration and support when the name itself just makes people say "What?"

The Iron Wolf, vegaguy5555 and Alex72 like this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thats the thing with simulators. They have obscure names and then when the more arcade/simcade guys test it they feel its really obscure, weird, strange and just hard to grasp due to its difficulty barrier and minimalism barrier. They pop into games that are advertised as "THE REAL SIMULATOR" full of Life like Graphics and flashy career modes etc, and it seems to the untrained Eye that THIS is the real deal while that other stuff (the actual sims) seems to be made by a dude in a basement trying his best to be what those flashy titles are. I can imagine this is a bit how they see it, lol.

vegaguy5555, bwana, Levelup1 and 2 others like this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I was thinking of people who complain about rF2 and then go on about an "obviously" unrealistic sim and I'm thinking it all has to do with what you expect from a sim. This depends on when you were born. Not because us older guys have decades more experience but because we experienced bias ply tires and then radial tires with a higher side wall. You had to understand how the tire flexed and grabbed. As the weight bear's down the surface contact area increases substantially. It also folds and grabs like a loose rag grabbing a spinning shaft were as a newer low profile tire can't as much and you end up with more of a flat, dead slid.
    This is why dragsters will never use low profile tires.
    All of these physics are taking place in a lower profile tire as well and I can tell when software isn't taking this into consideration. That's the problem I, and I imagine real race car drivers, have with other sims I think?

rF2 does this the best. That's why you have to hold onto the wheel at 190 mile an hour with a late 60's F1 while other sims its just a long boring drive.

David Kolody and Levelup1 like this.
  10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I find the subject of how different people end up preferring different things, pretty interesting. One thing i have had in my mind is that there might be some kind of synesthesia going on (not sure if this is the right use for the word) where graphics or something else has effect on people's opinion about physics, for examble. Like when in hifi stuff, speakers looks or price can have effect on the reviewers opinion about the audio quality. So in here realistic graphics, nice game menu, game's popularity or something else might make someone more likely to think that the physics are realistic and well done also. And in case of rf2, old looking menu, sometimes crappy graphics, low framerate and bugginess, might make someone very suspicious about the physics.

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ive seen many equate realism to graphics. Sure i can understand if it looks more realistic that its nicer to look at and it fools the brain a little more into thinking its "real", but i think a lot of us guys who grew up with simulators there was always something they all shared - pretty crappy graphics, but the heavy coding went into what couldnt be seen. We also know industry/military simulators also looked like crap but they had a an actual function, and all the heavy simulation (coding) took up most of the power so neat graphics on top was not an option. You had to sacrifice a lot to have nice graphics but simulation was more important. I think we older farts know this and thats why we have "accepted", or maybe appreciate is the correct word, when the focus is on realism/simulation rather than nice graphics because it was always a trade off. These days we are moving closer and closer to having both and thats awesome, but i also think we old simmers get suspicious when the graphics is too good that the simulation aspect is dumbed down, lol. :D

That said i think rF2 when done right with textures looks incredible. It can look like a turd, and sure it doesnt have all the bells and whistles, but seriously when i go full blast having to concentrate on the driving im having so much fun, BECAUSE of the simulation aspect, that i dont have time to think about some better shaders or latest effects. Im not against them so dont come saying "you are the reason we dont get better graphics! RABBLE RABBLE!!!". No i would like awesome graphics too, but for me the two most important things in a simulator is physics and sound. Some people downplay the importance of sound but even with amazing graphics and someone making fart noises with their mouth to imitate a petrol engine it doesnt matter if you have hyper realistic graphics - it will "feel" like a turd. Semi good graphics, awesome physics and raw realistic sound will make you smile. Well, it makes me smile anyway. :)

Levelup1, Filip, vegaguy5555 and 2 others like this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Different people have different priorities/preferences. For some photorealistic graphics and details such as grid girls or animated pitcrew and real teams add to realism more then handling and ffb. So when speaking of "realism" one should define which aspect of realism he is refering to.

bwana and vegaguy5555 like this.
  13. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

I'm using 4 Aura Sound AST-2B-4 for chassis mode and 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 in extension mode (Parts Express has these on sale on ebay right now for 36 usd, not as powerful as the Aura though with the same wattage). I have 2 4x100 class D amp boards with VDC power supply for each amp. They provide more than enough power for the shakers.

Alex72 and JimmyT like this.
  14. Levelup1

Levelup1 Registered

+1 For good sound. It just puts you in another level of realism. That is one of the reasons RaceRoom gets a nod in sim discussions.

Alex72 likes this.
  15. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Grid Girls!!
    I had asked about Grid Girls in Real Race Room and they eventually deleted my thread. They were talking about DLC skins and other things. I thought it sounded pretty good?
    Maybe Studio-397 could have Grid Girls?:)

Alex72 likes this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

Has been bought up before but in today’s PC world l doubt we will see it , there was a Supercars game years ago that had a girl in lingerie in one of the team garages , don’t know why but l used to use that team each time (HDT ) even as a Ford man

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I think i did? In case that was directed at me. :)

18. Filip

Filip Registered

No it wasn't meant to you I was just speaking generally.

Alex72 and bwana like this.
  19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

On the subject of "realism" things like Grid Girls I suppose is not politically correct anymore. Which is very sad.
    I heard a DJ on the radio talking about what is considered sexual harassment today and I'm afraid Grid Girls in sims may fall into that category.
    Meanwhile at the real race tracks in the world there ARE Grid Girls...... all over the place. I don't think girls and cars will ever be separated? No matter how crazy political correctness gets!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  20. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Is it possible to mod the garage man to be a woman? or the driver?
    Would be fun to have well shaped female driver model for vr.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    vegaguy5555 likes this.