FFB in GT3 cars has gone ultra light with heavy understeer

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by tlsmikey, Jul 27, 2018.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

All of a sudden, the GT3 cars FFB has gone super light. The front end understeer seems exaggerated to the point where anything beyond a few degrees turn in results in an ultra light FFB response. Tire temp doesn't seem to change this. Tried on multiple tracks. It appears to be limited to the Mercedes GT3, but the bentley feels a bit odd to me as well.

All other vehicles seem to perform well (GT3 and GTE).

Is there a way to reload the GT3 pack i purchased? I couldn't remove them in the packages tab.

Accuforce user here as well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Its the kind of FFB the cars provide. It depends of the caster and its not adjustable in the GT3. So you have to live with it.

3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

The Merc FFB has always felt like that

4. kimbo

kimbo Registered

I notice that many, since his appearance, do not like the ffb of the merc, always surprised me, since it is for me, the best of the gt3 pack, and one of the best cars of all rf2

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  5. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Odd. It’s a front engine car and it feels like the front just slides constantly even with warm tires. I’d imagine that car would have great grip in front. In all other sims it doesn’t behave anything like that.

Oh well. Guess that’s intentional.

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Tried to adjust the minimum FFB torque from the control panel under ffb settings ?
    it improves the feel

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Make sure you have no driving aids on.
    I've been driving the Merc in a league series for the past two months and I haven't noticed any sort of change on my OSW like described.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

GT3 changed to a better driving feel
    ffb is cool
    must be a setting thing

9. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Tried checking all the settings. Everything seems fine. I wonder if it has something to do with the steering degrees setting. I think the merc has a pretty low 400 degree setting if left to "vehicle select".

Right now i set the Accuforce at 560degrees and the Merc at 560 degrees.

Still getting a ton of very light understeer when driving it. Feels so odd to any other car.

avenger82 likes this.
  10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

It’s always felt this way for my t300 and the merc,no other car feels like this for me

Christos Segkounas and JimmyT like this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

guys do you change the steering lock according to how the car behaves ?
    i used to "Never" touch it but i think its a secret to make car behave good and fast
    speak your mind guys

12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I read that there is a new app coming (3rd party) to deal with the lack of auto steering lock support for DD-wheels in rF2. I think it's due for release very soon but, I'll try to find out more about it and report back.

Changing the steering-lock / rotation can have a pretty dramatic affect on how the FFB force levels and details feel. It can compress the effects in some cases, or reduce them so it does affect more than just the wheel rotation itself. This becomes more evident when using a DD-wheel because of the increased FFB range.

13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I use a Fanatec V2 and the Merc seems pretty light in the front to me. The other GT3 S397 cars all seem to be OK. It doesn't seem like FFB problem to me, it just feels like the engine is way in the back and lifting the front wheels. I can still feel the road but it's pretty light and understeer-ish in corners. :)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

feels light while cornering all of a sudden or always feels light
    Merc after update is really cool
    before update was a problem for me handling wise tried a lot to improve feel but couldnt

15. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

For steering lock, I use "vehicle set" and match the degrees to what I have the wheel set at. For me, ~560-640 degrees is about right.

The merc is definitely off. If i drag the brakes in the corners, the front end bites like normal and feels responsive. If you just let off the brakes and apply the slightest throttle it has massive understeer. I find this really hard to believe for a front engine car and no other sim has it like this. It does seem to be car specific to the Merc too.

Hopefully, this gets a look from the S397 folks. I think there's room for improvement here.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  16. Filip

Filip Registered

Well I have 200 degree wheel so I sometimes fiddle with steering lock

17. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The whole thing has the physical reason that less steering torque is transmitted to the steering wheel when the caster is very low. So don't bother with further speculations about wrong settings etc.. Depending on the steering wheel, the effect is then more or less noticeable, less with Logitech, but very strong with the Fanatec CSW V1.
    By the way, the phenomenon is also present in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, in Audi R8 in Assetto in AMG GT3 in Cars 2, which are the characteristics of the wheel geometry of the individual vehicles and since the FFB only has certain parameters and not the steering gearing including hydraulics and servo in all its elements, you only get the raw signal.

18. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I hear what you're saying but it doesn't appear to be FFB to me. If I turn the wheel to go into the corner, the Merc drives almost straight (understeer). However when I do the same thing in any of the other GT3 cars the car responds by turning (no understeer).
    @mesfigas It seems a little light all the time but seems to float when turning in. (not sure if this is new to update or long term existing as I didn't drive the Merc much before the update) I have tweaked the suspension and other things in the setup but still seems unresponsive in corners (understeer).
    As a side note, if I compare this car to the AMGT3 Merc. The AMGT3 has the opposite, when I turn in the back end want's to overtake me (oversteer) and I have to tune this out with suspension and pre load adjustments. (also must not trail brake in AMGT3 Merc)

tlsmikey likes this.
  19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

I played with caster, softened the front springs as much as they would go. Softened the front ARB. I tried so many things last night. Nothing. This car just plows understeer and the wheel goes super light. I still contend something is wrong here.

JimmyT likes this.
  20. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

I had the same thing happen last Friday after an update. I fixed mine by deleting the palyer j.son file , controller file and did a integrity of files. Than I restarted t my computer. Made a new controller file for my OSW and all fix. Make sure your wheel steering lock matches the cars steering lock as well.