Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I've tried all 3 settings & off on the new sebring and for me it does nothing. Far too bumpy and it just blurs what looks like a stunning track.
    More work needed on this feature imo.

OzzyNeil, Kondor, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  2. rosko

rosko Registered

How do i turn this off. Game feels like pcars 2 the way the car moves independently from my body & makes me want to barf.

3. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

It's in display settings and in game.

Set to disabled.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What @TheMattyOnline said. Plus it's off by default, so presumably you found it to turn it on?

I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm driving my very tame passenger car on the road, if I pay attention over bumps I can definitely see the car moving around me. My view of the road doesn't shake all over the place as the car tilts and lurches, but I can see the car moving around.

Now I don't have VR, so I don't know how it impacts that, but there does seem to be quite a range of views from "who needs LTH, I'm happy" to "I can't drive without a LTH function", so I guess it's a personal thing.

@GrimDad Case in point there... Low really doesn't make any noticeable difference for you? I do think there's room for probably one more notch which is more smoothed and should still react quickly enough for banking/ovals, but I'm surprised Low doesn't help at least a bit.

5. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@Lazza
    I've turned "Head Physics & Head Vibration" off seems to help at Sebring

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@GrimDad Hang on... does head physics and vibration still do something in VR? I had assumed they'd be disabled... hard to imagine that wouldn't be very awkward. I really must try this one day :)

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Head physics still works in VR , Yes .

GrimDad likes this.
  8. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I couldn't do more than a couple of laps in vr without saying to myself "I've had enough this" before turning it off.

OzzyNeil and Kondor like this.
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

New setting to “low” ( VR )
    Makes it useable

Aparently “high/max” is not as effective

Not sure if the intention is to make the setting even more refined through updates

Ernie and GrimDad like this.
  10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I left Stabilize Horizon on low too....but to be honest with it on or off I couldn't tell the difference. The whole lock to horizon thing never bothered me before these new settings got added. I don't drive on ovals and the only banking I've driven on was the grass banks @ Poznan when I've gone off track ;)

11. Kondor

Kondor Registered

Trying to drive the new (really bumpy) Sebring in my rig (about 2.5 feet away from my 49" 4k TV) is making me wanna puke.

How does this stuff get through playtesting? Are they all using little 24" monitors or something? And why does only the "Low" setting work for Horizon Stabilization? I'm growing weary of DLC when basic things like anti-nausea features are left bugged, you know?

OzzyNeil likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Kondor This feature has nothing to do with DLC, and Low isn't the only setting that works, it's just the strongest one. How have you had things set up before this setting came in?

13. Kondor

Kondor Registered

Um...Why does the "Low" setting have the greatest effect? Isn't that slightly counter-intuitive?

Anyway, this hasn't come up before because none of my other tracks are this bumpy. The way I had/have things set up is with No head motion, no G effects, no vibration. I've been using RF2 since it was an early beta (2012 or so). I know how to set it up. The screen has always bounced around more a bit more than I'd like (compared to the excellent Real Head Motion implementation in Assetto Corsa), but it's been tolerable until I got this track.

What I find more than a little ridiculous is that the behind-car view (aka "Arcade Mode") already has a perfect implementation of what we are all asking for: A nice smooth Lock to Horizon. Try it.

I've driven plenty of very bumpy tracks IRL. I've done off-roading IRL. I solo'ed in my first aircraft at age 15. And nothing has made me motion sick until this Sebring track + RF2.

I'm also a doctor. In real life, you have a Vestibulo–ocular reflex that stabilizes images on the retinas during head movement by producing eye movements in the direction opposite to head movement, thus preserving the image on the center of the visual field.

All the other big-name racing sims have something to reproduce this effect. Without it, VR or large-screen gaming quickly turns into a "Vomit Comet".

Meanwhile, I guess I donated $10.50 to Rf2's ongoing development, because this track is useless to me. It's a good cause, and I love Rf2 for its stellar FFB/AI/Physics. I was just really hoping to have some fun with this - without waiting months for another bug fix.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Ernie and OzzyNeil like this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It sure is, that's why I didn't even try Low at first. I tried High and thought sheesh, that's hardly doing anything. Only when I saw people reporting that Low was actually doing more I went back, and it's pretty good. I too would prefer it stronger, hopefully they do improve it.

I don't know if the chase cam is a good indicator, because it's really not well connected to the car at all. I like a steady view (I used to limit the camera orientation rate in rF1, which you could do because the files were open) but I still like to feel more connected to the car. Actually my own 'solution' (via a plugin) to this also smoothed the roll, which I think Stabilize Horizon doesn't do, but the Low setting is workable for me (and that's with 28 deg FOV on a 27" screen, so the shaking is fairly obvious).

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Lewi6, RaceNut, Cote Dazur and 2 others like this.
  16. rosko

rosko Registered

For some reason that option was missing, i had a different UI selected & that didn't all the options. You are right though it was already off but i will try with it on.

17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

well well well, I just tried on low, radicals at Spa, and I am happy with it, the car moves, not the horizon, this is what I was looking for, thank you Studio 397.

sherpa25 and RaceNut like this.
  18. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Thanks for info. But for me the current "low" setting (which means "high") is still too little. Definitively not comparable with the LTH implementation in iRacing oder the RealHeadMotion tool for Assetto Corsa, where i can drive for hours without getting motion sick. Here in rF2 the horizon is still shaking too much, which makes it uncomfortable to drive in VR. At least for me.

PS: I have head physics = 0 and head vibration = off.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah I think a MAX setting maybe good for those of you with VR motion issues :)

OzzyNeil, sherpa25 and Lewi6 like this.
  20. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

Iv not noticed an update but I thing low is now low and high is now high as it should be after testing last night !