[REL] 1967 Endurance (Proto/Sports/GT) - modded Howston G4

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by woochoo, Jan 5, 2015.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, it's a limit i've put on myself for the sake of not taking this too far (that's a problem i have). I'm only editing the body shapes (and the brake lights to suit).
    The headlights and the windows would be other things to change that would make a huge difference, but then it's starting to become a situation where new meshes should be made from scratch, because the cockpits would probably also need to change. And then either I or other people would start asking for accurate cockpits. And i just don't have what it takes to do all of this. I know someone who was tinkering with a scratch-made 2F, but i'm not sure how far that got.

I'd say, after the groundwork i've put it, it would a "a simple task of replacing all the meshes and making minor adjustments to the physics, like wheel base, for all the cars" for this to be a much better mod. Obviously it would be much more time consuming to do the work than to type that statement, but i'd be happy to hand it all over to whoever would do it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I've been to the Chaparral Museum in Midland Texas. The wing's default position is high down force. The third pedal can be depressed to move the wing into a flatter position, low down force. Entirely "manually" (foot) operated wing. The high wing Chaparrals also had a movable wing at the front of the car (side radiators) that worked in tandem with the rear wing to balance aero forces. The 2F as run at that long French track was a three speed. Hope that helps. Thanks to woochoo for all the wonderful work!

davehenrie likes this.
  3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks Jim,
    I did hope to be able to reduce some front downforce in tandem with the rear wing, to simulate that and maintain some areo balance, but it's not obvious how to do that. Well, there is the option for front flaps too i think, but i doubt they can be bound to the same button/functionality. That would be an ideal solution if they could. Sorry to say, but i won't be putting time into investigating that, unless someone tells me exactly how it can be done. One button to adjust front and rear flaps at the same time, and also triggering them with the brake. Or better, some way to influence the balance shift for the rear flap function.

I did see photos of the 2F in the french pits, and the wing was always in high downforce position. Actually, i'm not sure i have a good french picture of it in low downforce position, to the extent that I've just guessed the angle. As it is, i eyeballed the high downforce position, and then tipped it up 10deg for low downforce. In rF2 the wing does start in high downforce position, manually trims on button press, and manually returns to high downforce on button press or brake pedal. Not quite the way Jim describes above. I could remove the brake pedal function. It's set up with a 0.5s transition time (i don't have data on that).

I did read about a torque converter system, which apparently made the three-speed viable, and some minimally toothed gears negating the need for clutch gear changes. Apparently that had something to do with the apparent myth that it was automatic. But I know nothing about tweaking clutch and gear shift stuff in rF2, so i promise myself i won't be adjusting that aspect :p But in game it is three-speed, and i think i got the ratios from data.

4. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I think it's possible to do that with the DRS feature. I discovered in the Physics Spreadsheet there are line to add information about DRS at front.
    Not tested on my side, but you can look in the generated HDV lines in comment on Frontwing & Rearwing : https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/cars/car-physics/physics-calculation-tool
    I think the DRS feature activate the front & rear flap if lines are active in physics.

woochoo likes this.
  5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Right, thanks @MaD_King
    I've copied the rear flap settings to the front flap, and it didn't seem to make much difference.
    Until i realised that the user seems to be able to bind the same input to both front and rear flaps.
    It now seems much more holdable when swerving on a straight. Not recommended for corners.
    I was able to take two slight right-kinks on crests at high speed on a long French track (following a tight right hander), driving with keyboard.

I've also removed the brake pedal de-activation, so it's 100% a manual process now.
    Bind the flaps to your clutch pedal if you must.
    Not sure if it will work as a toggle (on/off) or hold-for-low-drag (i.e. momentary switch), but i doubt you could vary the amount of flap with pedal position (i.e. analogue input / gradiated control) but i've been wrong about all this a few times now :p .

So, while it's still a bit nosey in low-drag position, i think this works entirely as much as anyone should expect from me, including me :p

And thanks again MaD_King :)

jimagn and ApexModding like this.
  6. woochoo

woochoo Registered

right, i think i've got this decently trimmed now.
    Tested with the wheel.
    Low downforce in corners is manageable if driven more slowly as it plows on a bit in slow corners, and ready to lift and correct oversteer in higher speed corners, or catch it if it hits a bump. But better to take corners with the downforce.

Feels like cheating on long French track, approaching the kink at 330kph, then flipping the wing which knocks off a few kph in drag but lets the car go through full throttle and the tyres planted. Then open it when the car is almost settled. The hump can go with low downforce if you're ready to catch it or crash. The downforce helps the braking stability/distance, and doesn't understeer in the slow right hand corner. Then low downforce away, and over the crest kinks gently, and then back to the downforce for the slow section.

Using the clutch pedal only toggles the flaps, so keep it as a clutch pedal (if you have one) and use a button for the flaps.
    But well done to ISI/397 for allowing both front and rear flaps to be bound to the same input :)

Happy happy :) thanks for the tips and encouragement!

jimagn, Duncan, alexSchmurtz and 2 others like this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I am SO looking forward to this....I'll probably crash a 100 times before I figure it out.

woochoo likes this.
  8. woochoo

woochoo Registered

yeah, there is no in-cockpit light, but in my initial testing, only on big french circuit, you kinda mentally keep track of if the wing is up or down. I admit, that's not the most hectic track in terms of corners and straights, but you'll soon know if you've gone into a corner with the flap up :p And i reckon once you've done that a few times it will become second nature. Like i say, no cockpit light, and no beep in your ear. Just an urge for more speed, either in corners or on the straights, and that urge will ensure you've pressed the button at the right time ;)

i'm sure someone will eventually go into alien mode and continuously toggle it when they only need half-wing :p

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

unfortunately some of the faster cars in this set slide and spin every lap at the new Sebring.
    But at least you can see the wing angle change in these pics. And the automatic yellow skin for car number 1 (it will be red at every other track).

2018-07-28_10h07_03.jpg

2018-07-28_10h11_11.jpg 2018-07-28_10h11_56.jpg 2018-07-28_10h13_12.jpg

Seven Smiles and Duncan like this.
  10. Duncan

Duncan Registered

Same problem i already pointed out for vintage cars on other tracks official or not.
    They are useless in offline races and nearly never used in online races so they are useless.

They will become useful if the physics are changed and tested with ai drivers, or the ai engine suited for those cars.
    Probably a mix of both.
    Too bad because they are the only cars i like to drive....

The only ones i can drive with acceptable ais which don't spin every lap or crash in big ones are
    Historic F3
    Lola T280
    Bmw 320

Very few....

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i expect the best way to fix it is in the AI code, somehow

12. jimagn

jimagn Registered

The "automatic" Chaparrals had a torque converter to start from the green flag (and as a result were often slow away and lost positions) then the rest of the shifts needed rev matching up and down as the torque converter locked up at pretty low speeds. I don't think you need to get all authentic on us. for that. ;)

woochoo likes this.
  13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I appreciate the detail Jim
    As it is, the Chappel Autos xF cars are a bit sluggish with only three gears, so yeah, that's good enough for me :)

14. bears

bears Registered

woochoo love your work your attention to detail and imagination are top shelf

woochoo likes this.
  15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

cheers, you'll see my powers of imagination when you see me trying to morph a G4 into a GT car shape.
    The emphasis is more on using imagination that succeeding in making a proto look like GT ;)

[edit] for the sake of bulking out this post a little, i'll say that i've been modifying the body shape in a way that reasonably doesn't warp the UVs too much, so to varying degrees, existing skins still work on these modded shapes. There is some warping, but you can deal with it ;)

Not a Stingray, and not a fastback Mustang :)
    But compare them to the models i had when i made the icon preview video. They were default G4 mesh. SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!! :D
    2018-07-29_13h22_35.jpg 2018-07-29_13h23_45.jpg
    And personally, i really quite like the livery/shape combo of the #9 car :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    jimagn likes this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

Love having my relatives car in sim . Jean Pascal Joubert.. another beer I owe you Chooman

17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Hey, cool, tell more if you want to :)
    Maybe some French wine would be in order on this occasion? :p

bwana likes this.
  18. bwana

bwana Registered

Very distant relative who had dealings with my Grandfather importing Delage and Delahey too Australia. Only found this out last year when researching Joubert & Joubert ( Great Grand and Grand Father) . luxury French car importers at the turn of the century.. Moet do?

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Great combo with the new Sebring. some Halogen inserts in the lights would be handy ;)

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

hmmmmmmmm
    Ok, Moet will do if it's all you can get :p
    And cheers to you for the story

bwana likes this.