"Stabilize Horizon" didn't work as expected in VR

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ernie, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Tested the new "Stabilize Horizon" feature today at Sebring for the first time.

I tried it on "high" first, but i have not seen any effect. The cockpit was 95% fixed and the horizon was jumping like mad. It was almost like "Stabilize horizon=off".
    On "low" setting i noticed a more stable horizon, but not that much i'd like to have it.

So i checked it without VR and it seems, that it works on monitor as expected. And "low" had a minor stabilizing effect than "medium" or "high".

But in VR it seems that only "low" works as it should be, but on "medium" and "high" the effect becomes less and less. It's like the parameter to scale the effect up is reversed in VR.

Sadly the new feature isn't usable for me right now, because on "low" the horizon isn't stable enough (for my liking). On "medium" it's even weaker, and on "high" the effect is almost non-existent (like a fixed cockpit).

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Can confirm it for VR.

3. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Yes, same here.

4. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Just made 3 quick videos.
    I tried to avoid any movements while driving and hold my head steady. Not perfect, but you should see the effect (or non-effect).
    Just focus on difference in movement of the car hood/cockpit and also the horizon.

Stabilize horizon = low

Stabilize horizon = high

Stabilize horizon = off

PS: Sorry for the left-shifted perspective, but it seems that my OBS settings were a little bit off.:confused:
    PPS: I should have recorded the footage with my Oculus Rift on a desk or stable basis, but that came into my mind just too late.:rolleyes:

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On a monitor only here, Low definitely has more effect than High. High is quite subtle, even on what I'd consider a very bad case scenario (Meganes at Bathurst, specifically on the approach to T2) and with low-FOV I have to actually look at the cockpit, not the road, to see the cockpit moving around over the bumps.

With the setting on Low the cockpit movement is pronounced, and does a very decent job of smoothing out the jolts. While I can see scope for one more higher setting which aims to completely remove bumps for those that want it that way, for my purposes the existing strongest setting (Low) does suffice.

I'm curious that you thought a monitor showed more stability with the setting on high? I've turned off all head movement/vibration, so with Stabilize Horizon = Off the camera is locked rigidly to the car - no cockpit movement at all.

6. Ernie

Ernie Registered

My experience on monitor was, that the horizon on "low" is jumping more than on "high". But the increased stabilization on "high" leads to a (negative) side effect. The horizon gets some kind of small vibrations, even if it's overall more stable. Difficult to describe.

I wish it would all work more like the RealHeadMotion plugin. On monitor and of course in VR.:rolleyes:

7. blanes

blanes Registered

So we still have no Lock to Horizon for VR ? Really hoped this would be implemented by now. I am unfortunately one of those that get really ill very quickly unless Horizon is locked and for that reason have not enjoyed rF2 for far too long now as I no longer race flat screen.

Is there a technical reason whey the devs cannot have similar setting that works perfectly in all other sims ?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@blanes This is one of the more outdated threads on this topic (the bug above has been fixed - stabilize horizon works more on High than on Low), but there's no horizon 'lock'. I can't see any technical reason they couldn't add a couple more levels of stabilization, perhaps 1-5 instead of having words and perhaps running out of clear options, but they haven't done it yet despite some people still desiring a stronger effect (I see no reason they couldn't have many more levels, graduated between a low strength and a full lock).

An actual lock and how practical that is perhaps another discussion, but I hope they do provide more levels on this at least.

blanes likes this.
  9. blanes

blanes Registered

Thanks Lazza and appreciate your reply. Just before I actually decided to jump in and try rF2 vr after a very long time which I have been loathe to do because of how sick I got last time. Well happy to say I found exactly as you said, tried High Stabilize Horizon first followed by Low and immediately realised it must have got fixed. But as you say it is still not properly locked and I would say is about 60 or 70% there.

So for me it is still a struggle though definitely improved somewhat and I managed to do a few laps. If only the devs would realise how devastating in terms of ill effects this is to many VR users. For people that do not experience it then they probably cannot understand why anyone would want the horizon totally stable. If enough of us are vocal I guess at some point they may just fix it completely but I gotta wonder why in blue hell they did not do that from the get go as it is obviously a setting they have total control over. Thanks again.

10. blanes

blanes Registered

Studio 397 Devs : Hey guys, would love to buy your newer tracks Sebring and now Nords but wondering can you please implement a full lock to horizon function for VR users that suffer from bad motion sickness without it ? Or perhaps there is a technical reason prevents more than has been already done ? Cheers

Ernie, erik10 and sherpa25 like this.
  11. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Agree. Especially for the bumpier tracks like Sebring and Nordschleife it's not enough stabilization on the highest setting. At least for me driving only in VR.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I nearly forgot about this issue, then just the other day realised I still have my (screen-only, since it uses camera movement controls) plugin smoothing my view for me. Needs a zero-to-max slider, or 1-10 settings, or something. Or is this another "this is sim" thing... maybe I need to make a thread like the forced cockpit view one to find the answer. Na, won't do that.

blanes and David Kolody like this.
  13. Ernie

Ernie Registered

It's some sort of "personal preference", i guess. Some simracers like a locked horizon, some don't. Also depends on your simrig configuration.

But biologically the human inner ear combined with eye motion is really good in stabilizing the view. You can drive a car on a very bumpy road and still look ahead without running into a too-shaky-to-see problem.

In VR (and without a motion rig) it's quite difficult to have a stable view, because the inner ear has some disorientation without the information about car movement. The "stabilze horizon" feature in rF2 should help, but IMHO it's not enough.

blanes and BoskaPongen like this.
  14. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

So thats why I could not get a fixed horizon. Will try LOW, seems best of them all (for me).

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Low is the most unstable of the "stabilze horizon" settings.

16. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

Strange, when I look at the vids above LOW seems to have most stable horizon?

17. lagg

lagg Registered

This thread is about an old bug from july-2018.
    Tese vids are showing that bug, that was solved a few days later.

Note: This is the problem of writing in an old thread about another thing.

18. blanes

blanes Registered

How do we get one of the devs to take a serious look at this for us ? It is not like we are asking for some frivolous cosmetic add on to the sim... for me and I am guessing many others this is a serious issue.

It really does affect me badly after a short time in getting headaches and nausea. I do really appreciate they made the Low Med High stabilize horizon option but it just is not enough and there needs to be an option to totally lock to horizon. I get it that some or maybe many users do not want or need this but please would they imagine if they were getting same amount of feeling sick. The option is an option so if you do not need it then you simply do not use it.

I have to imagine that because they have done much work to implement the current settings then surely it does not take much to go the final step ? I actually just went and purchased over $70 aussie dollars worth of DLC as I got the Senna / Aston Martin pack, the full Reiza Pack and both Sebring and Nords. All incredibly great DLC but is a struggle to drive as I only use VR in sims now. Sebring is incredible but just far too bumpy for me in VR so I will have to leave that totally for time being. Nords I can manage to go around in short bursts but have to stop for breather when dizziness attacks. Such an incredibly well made track with beautiful details and I really want to just jump in a car and go full throttle but desperately need Lock to Horizon fully working.

Please someone from Studio 397 can you talk to us and explain why you cannot or will not fix this long standing issue ??? I understand you are busy getting lots of great things done and truly this sim has come back to life for me but I cannot drive much due to the health problems it causes. Sorry to labour this one point and I know it must sound silly and boring for those not affected to read, for that I apologise.

Ernie and BoskaPongen like this.
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

It would be better to open your own thread.
    Have you thought that you are using a thread of an old bug solved more than one year ago?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  20. blanes

blanes Registered

Ok thanks