Offline Racing & AI Selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pilot37, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

I always race offline. I set up my own championships and always want to run against the same set of cars with the same named drivers.

Question: Is there a way to store such a set (inc different classes of car) to use again and save the long hunt every time?

2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Also is possible if you do a vmod. Then always run this vmod-series.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Fail

Why don't ISI or people do updated Vmod tutorial and utubes................. and actually stick it on the main rF2 page

Stuff out there is prehistoric, builds change menus in case no one noticed. :rolleyes:

5. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I used the RaceEvent mechanism to set up my offline 1991 F1 championship using the ASR cars. I include the tracks that were run during 1991 (even though they aren't all the actual tracks from that year) and I created custom skins and drivers based on the four available ASR cars. I used each ASR car as a master to create new cars/skins/drivers. The only "problem" is that when you start a session, you have to remember to Boot the drivers of those master cars from the lineup because they always get included. For example, if I use Ayrton Senna's car as a master and create a car for Ernest Hemingway, Umberto Eco (RIP) and Jane Austen, the lineup will include Senna when I start a session. I have to remember to exclude him using the Boot button. That also means I have to increase the number of AI drivers in the Session Settings menu to account for the inclusion of those master cars. It makes sense to me...if you're interested in going that route, I could put together a little more lucid instructions.

Alex72 likes this.
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

I know I rant lol but Google making vmods and see what you come up with, 2012 , 2103 etc.

I do not think I seen a tut since they made individual driver selection in vmods

I only just realized a while back you could now click on any name or track layout ( not the box) in Mas2 and it disables the rest.

Save on a lot of box ticks. :)

7. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

This is a short recipe for making your own offline RaceEvent with custom skins, custom drivers, custom tracklist and custom AI skills. I use these steps to create an offline, solo 1991 championship season with my own AI drivers and skins. I use LogAnalyzer to manage the championship season. If this is too long or convoluted, I can delete it upon request. Or one of the mods can hack and slash at will.

The short howto is this:
    1. Select a car from a mod that you will use as the master for all of your cars
    2. Create a skin for it
    3. "Load" the skin in RF2 Tuning garage
    4. Create the new AI driver
    5. Edit the new AI driver's skills
    6. Using the MAS2 program, create a new mod/rfcmp.
    6a. Add the tracks you want
    6b. Add the car from step 1
    6c. Add addons such as commentary, tires, etc.
    6d. Save the rfcmp file
    7. Install the rfcmp file in RF2
    8. In the Series menu, choose the RaceEvent you created.
    9. Adjust session settings.
    10. Race

More detailed description.

I am going to create a RaceEvent called 1991 ASR F1 Classic using the Ferrari 643 car mod from ASR. To keep the explanation simple, I'm only going to use this
    one car and I'm going to create four drivers who will drive a version of his car. The ASR 1991 mod for the Ferrari comes with two drivers, Prost in car 27 and Alesi.
    We will use Prost's 27 car as a master to create new skins and drivers.

Go into RF2 and select Prost's car from the ASR mod. Then click the Tuning button, which takes us into the garage. Here, go to the Car Paint area and select Create Directory. This will create a master directory for that car in rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ASR_OWC_643_1991 called 643_27. In there will be a dds file that is the skin for Prost's car. You can use Photoshop to open that file and make some simple changes to the car. I used the clone tool to eliminate the stock logos and cut and pasted logos from the internet to create my own skins. I was also able to change colors using the paint bucket tool. Some mod makers will provide you with templates for the cars and this can make working in Photoshop a lot better. The ASR mod makers don't provide the templates so the dds files will have to do. See tutorials on skinning to learn how this is done in detail, but whether you use the dds files or templates, you will need the Nvidia dds plugin for Photoshop.

Create four different skins...one for each AI driver you will create...and place the files in the 643_27 folder mentioned above. Remember that the letters "alt" must be somewhere in the filename for the file to be recognized.

Go back into RF2, select Prost's #27 car and click Tuning to get back into the garage. This time, go to the paint area and observe the line Variants < > 643_27.alt. Click the < or > and cycle through the skin files you created. Select one and click the Create New Car/Driver button. A new dialog box will open and you can give provide a name for the driver of this car, a team, a car number and a description (the description will be used to identify the car in later menus so make sure it is something that will help you understand which car it is. For example, you create a Ferrari #69 car to be driven by Dirk Digler. Set the description to be something like "Digler Ferrari 69." Before moving on to the next car and driver you can edit the AI for the driver and set various parameters by clicking the Edit AI button.

Create new AI cars by cycling through your skins on the Variants line. Assign a driver to each. Let's say you create Digler as well as Jack Horner, Buck Swope and
    Amber Waves.

You're now done creating the cars and drivers for your RaceEvent. If you go into the rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ASR_OWC_643_1991 folder you'll see separate directories for Dirk Digler, Jack Horner, Buck Swope and Amber Waves. If you editied the AI files for each, you'll see rcd files...0.rcd, 1.rcd, 2.rcd and 3.rcd. The rcd files are text files containing the edited AI information for each driver.

Now it's time to create the RaceEvent. Start the MAS2 editor located in the rFactor 2\Support\tools directory of RF2. When it loads, click the toolbar icon that looks like a file cabinet. It is called Set Packages Directory. Point this to the location of your packages directory...rFactor 2\Packages. To create a new package, click the toolbar icon that looks like a donut box amd select Create New Mod Package. After a few long moments, a new dialog box will open where you can put in the name of your new mod. We're calling our mod 1991 ASR F1 Classic, so type that in the Mod Name box.

Click Next and you will be taken to a new dialog box where you can choose the tracks you will use in your series. Hold down the control key and select the track you want to include and then click Next. The next dialog box opens the car selection menu. Here you would select the ASR_OWC_643_1991 because that is the only car we plan to use in our series. The next window allows you to select some additional components; select the ones you want and click Done.

Now you go to a new window that shows the tracks, car and components. First, the Package box may need adjustment. If you see a red block after the name, click the file cabinet icon and make sure the Packages directory is listed and the name of your mod is in the File name box. Click the Open button here to save the rfmod file. Back at the main screen you'll notice that there are blank check boxes next to the tracks and cars in the left pane. The right panes will have each track layout and each driver checked. The point of these panes is to allow you to build the tracks and cars into the package or to just reference installed tracks and cars in RF2. Obviously using the references makes for a smaller package file than incorporating the tracks/cars into the package. If you filter the tracks and drivers down to what you will absolutely need for your series, it will save you clicks later on when you run RF2.

Let's say I selected Silverstone. Silverstone will be unchecked in the left panel and the layouts for Silverstone will be checked in the right pane. Since I'm only interested in running the GP layout, make sure that is the only one checked. Moving down to the drivers, remember that we used Prost's #27 car as our master to create or AI drivers. So make sure only Prost's car is selected. Once you're happy, click the Package button and the package should build in your packages directory. It will give you a success message when it completes. There is a help file included in the Support\Tools directory that fully explains how to use the MAS2 editor.

Once the package is successfully built, restart RF2 and install the package in the normal manner from the main RF2 memu.

Now it's time to run the RaceEvent you just created. Start RF2 and click on the Series button. Select the 1991 ASR F1 Classic RaceEvent you just created.
    The next step is to make a session adjustment. Go into Session Settings and change the number of AI. In this document, we created four new cars/drivers. RF2 will ALWAYS include the original drivers in the field. So if you were to put 4 in the AI drivers field, you would see Prost and only three of the drivers you created. You need to enter 5 here (Prost plus your four AI drivers).

When you start the race, you'll notice in the Standings screen that Prost, Digler, Horner, Waves and Swope are listed. To eliminate Prost, click his name and click the Boot button. Now you will have a race field that includes only the cars/drivers you created. Every time you start a new session, you will need to Boot the original drivers. If you do a Practice, Qualify and Race, you
    only need to do it for practice; it will carry over to the qualify and race.

atomed and Alex72 like this.
  8. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

Many thanks for all this great detail. In writing it looks like quite a project but I guess with a couple of attempts its easy? I will give it a go at the weekend!

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Good one Joe makes more sense then reading years old ones.

But why ISI does not have a screenshot presentation or "up to date" video for it beggars belief.

I bet you would do it for them.

Alex72 likes this.
  10. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Before I spent any more time on it, I'd want someone to walk through the documentation and confirm that it's easily understandable and accurate. I did this a whole bunch of times until I figured it all out (using the MAS2 helpfile extensively). But that doesn't mean what I did was the done the most efficient or best way it could be done.

11. Steva

Steva Registered

Please guys if anyone know how to do this. I spent 3 days making skins and finding templates and now I can not load them in offline race event. This is what I do until now:
    -created new drivers/teams from showroom and add them .dds and .mas files with that .dds files. Everything is ok and cars are previewable in showroom exactly how it should be but when I go to race with my selected custom car, only that car have custom livery what I painted and import to game. other cars (add AI buuton-select exactly ones I made) shows blanko, totaly white without any livery. Please if anyone have an advice how to make that cars like every other from game to be loaded with custom skins I previously made. Sorry on my English, and thanks in advance

12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thank you for the explanation, BoothJoe. I will never do that because it looks to take too much time, and outdated way of setting up a championship, but thank you nevertheless! :)

13. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I wrote that more than two years ago. I didn't even remember writing it. I set up a race event with my own drivers and cars using the S397 endurance cars and still followed the same procedure, so I guess that hasn't changed. It really sounds more onerous than it really is. If you're going to create your own dds files, it's going to take an evening. If you're just changing driver names, it isn't that much trouble and doesn't take that long. For name changes, it's a matter of: extract the veh file from the mas, open the veh file, change the name, save the veh file, create a new mas and update the existing car version with your package.

Steva likes this.
  14. Steva

Steva Registered

first thank you for answer. thing I want is to create "new" drivers and it works okay when I add them with addAi button during session, but they appear without skin. When I preview them in garage (selct car and click tuning) they are okay, just like should be but when I choose my car and go to event, only my car have custom livery, others I make-not. Then I add cars from game normaly, and they have skins like originals ones, only those whom I make dont have. Example there are car1 and car 2 (both have custom livery and propertly .mas files who include alt_car1.dds and alt_car2.dds inside). I select one of them to be my car ingame and that car show up with custom livery so thats okay but when I add car2 with addAi button it is white-no any livery. Then I tried to choose car2 as my car ingame, the same thing happen-car2 is okay but now car1 dont have livery.

15. Steva

Steva Registered

I do this for TCR championship cars and only for few cars because I try to make balance - 5seats 5-audis 5-vw 5-hondas 5-fords and 5-opels so the manufacturers have equal number of cars in championship but mod itself have only 2 vw and 4 audi cars so I tried make additional cars for this two manufacturers. Ok i can survive that, will devide seats in two divisions coz they are most common in mod (seats a and seats b) to make some balance with it but still, what if I want to make comlete division with custom painted cars for domestic league example. So if I manage to use painted cars as AI cars it will be very great for my aspect of racing. Thank you for any help guys

16. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

The new endurance cars came out today. There are 7 Orecas and 6 Normas. I want 14 Orecas with custom names.
    Here's how I did it.
    1. Extract the veh files and the dds files from the mas (it's called car-update.mas in my case).
    2. Open the dds files in The Gimp (with a dds plugin) and use the paint bucket tool to repaint the bodies. I also put new numbers over the old ones. Working with the dds files is a cheap and easy way of redoing cars. Now I have 14 unique dds files.
    3. Copy each of the 7 oreca veh files so I now have 14 of them.
    4. Open each of the 14 veh files and change the driver name, team name, pitgroup and dds file for that driver. Now each driver has his own veh file and his own dds file.
    5. In the mas editor, I added the 14 dds files and the 14 veh files to a new mas called car-update.mas...the same name as step 1.
    6. In the screen to do this, there is a box where you can put in your own version. Next to that is a box to tell it to update the current version. You check the update box and put in the existing version number. In my case, the new S397 version was 1.51, so I put 1.52 in for my version number and 1.51 for the version to update. Fill out all other other boxes properly.
    7. Click the Package button to see it build the package with no errors. Click install and it will install the package.
    8. Go to RF2 and refresh the package window and I see my Oreca 1.52 version. It has taken the place of the 1.51 version so if I start a race and go to the car select menu, I will see my 14 orecas with my custom names only.

To create my own series, I went back to the mas editor and clicked the button to create a new package. I added my custom Orecas, 12 custom Normas created using the process above, the corvetttes and the porsches to the series along with several tracks. When I start a race, I go into Session Settings and tell it I want 39 AI (13 orecas, 12 normas, 7 porsches and 7 corvettes). With my own car, that makes a race of 40 cars.

Interestingly, RF2 will use one of each car from the veh file and then go onto the next group. What that means is that when I tell it I want 39 AI, it doesn't create 39 orecas, it uses my 14 first, then all of the normas next and then the porsches and corvettes. If I told it I wanted 40 AI, it would have to manufacture one from defaults and I don't know what it would do.

Does this help at all?

17. nurogize

nurogize Registered

The following images in the following post may give you the general logical behind installing custom skins, while minimizing the risk of file conflicts.
    Creating a racing event with 18 Corvette C6 GT2 and 10 GT4 370z

When you look in the car folders inside the rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles directory, you'll see they are all labeled with a number. By installing a folder with a higher version number (must use rfcmp generator, as it generates a hash key), the files in that newer folder takes precedence. Therefore .veh files with same file names as the one in the orginal version folder, will be the only ones to show up in game. I think the same would apply, if you included your own .HDV files in the new version folder as well.

18. Steva

Steva Registered

This is the best answer ever, the guys like you are simply gods in other forums like Arma3 forums. Everything explained so good than encurage others to learn and get to next stage of knowlage. Thank you sir very much i look forward to return favour if ever can. Now it is stupid to ask another problem (I still do this step by step like you explain but in the same time I tried to prepare everything else for new chmpnship and there is a problem)- grid edit. This game drive me mad for 10days already everything needs to go on harder way! I am loosing nervous at spme obviously simple things - grid editor. Downloaded both gridedit tool 1.0 and myGrid@gpvwc, skip sessions to warmup, then load Q2 batch file with any of those grideditor tools and when I need to call command from chat /batch grid.ini or /batch newbatch.ini nothing happens. There are also suggestions that need to be launched tghrow dedicated server but I am SINGLEPLAYER driver and this game, force me to operates online because of them amateur part of programing. Is there a way? Thank you again sir, you already help me a lot. Answer if you have time I am here, making my own division with you upper instructions.

19. Steva

Steva Registered

I can't step back anymore. Already accepted limits for other simple things but having two race format and in 2nd reverse grid from Q2? is that so complicated in 21century to make in game in simple options?? Is that a war crime to request staff like that? Every modern race of touring cars have two formats today, so if they make a game about racing, lets do that like professionals. What we pay for? Thanks.

20. Steva

Steva Registered

Explanations like this needs to be more and there will not be problems and questions. THANKS GUYS