Simucube Firmware / OSW Static Spring issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by skidsmcgee, Jul 19, 2018.

1. skidsmcgee

skidsmcgee Registered

Hi There,

I recently upgraded to the new firmware 10.3B for the Simucube and have also raised this issue on their forum. I have never had any issues at all with Rfactor2 and it is my main sim.

Imagine my horror when I update the driver for the OSW and find that now there is a static spring effect in RF2 that I can't get rid of.

Effectively in the main game menu there is no issue, but soon as you go into the race screen there is a strong static spring effect in addition to the normal FFB. The Simucube control panel reports that there is a spring effect being sent in the software, however changing the slider does nothing. The static spring is not enabled within the controller.json either.

This is a similar issue as the one I have on the calibration screen for Pcars2, soon as the axis is recognised I get a strong spring effect that I can't get rid of either by changing settings in game or on the simucube control panel.

Assetto Corsa works fine as per normal. Any ideas?

Tim

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I'm still on simucube fw 9.8 and don't have this problem. Maybe roll back and see if the issue persists.

Also (not knowing what mod you used) try s397 cars only to test.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Hi Skids.
    Have a look at my settings in this link: Share your OSW Settings
    The firmware used in the link is old but I haven't changed anything.
    I definitely don't feel any spring effect.
    Actually the only DirectInput Effect in the SimuCUBE Config Tool that works in rF2 is Damping

4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I am currently on 0.10.1. Is it easy to roll back in firmware version and how is it done? Than i would try to confirm the issue.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I haven't done a downgrade before so don't hold me responsible for any problems that may arise.

This from the 0.10.0 release notes:

New version information

• Note, that downgrading from this release to a 0.9 series release will cause you to lose all hardware- and profile settings data in SimuCUBE, and the wizards etc. will have to run again. Settings stored in IONI drive are not affected.

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

I think you just download the firmware version you want to try and run it's Configuration Tool, follow the prompts.

6. skidsmcgee

skidsmcgee Registered

I haven't had to roll back yet, this would be the first time, hence it was also to see how far back I would need to go and whether there were others on 10.3B that DIDN"T have the issue (so I know if it is something else on my side). The upgrade this time around flashed my IONI drive as well, hence why I am reluctant to flash back to 9.xx as I don't know if I could inadvertently cause other problems. If I can flash back to 10.1 though then that might be easier!

I have tested across various mods btw several S397 mods included, the static spring is present across all of them. This is the only time that I have seen 'spring' appear active on the direct input sliders, I just don't know if the issues lie on the RF2 side or the Simucube side as steam had updated for the rain optimisation since last time I ran RF2.

Mika is looking into it on the Simucube side, so would be good to see if it is duplicated with other users and if so whether it is only a problem on Sim-Plicity wheels or just SinCos controllers or if it is across the board.

@ADSTA Mate, why do you have your damper turned off in direct input settings? That should then be cancelling out all the damper based effects sent from RF2?

7. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

"Steering resistance coefficient":0,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":0,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

You could try zeroing these values in controller.ini or your controller profile .

I use the damping in Simucube to dampen the wheel a bit.

upload_2018-7-20_9-30-30.png