Advice to buy new race wheel+ pedals

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by muzikant, Jul 12, 2018.

1. muzikant

muzikant Registered

I need little advice to buy a new race wheel and pedals. My old g27 is broken after years use.

1 easy installing out of the box.. support al racing games whitout to much settings
    2 of course good ffb... road feeling
    3 pedals.... loadcell or not? I am driving with my bare feet o_O
    4 trustmaster ts-pc or fanatec elite or fanatec clubsport with base 2.5.....??
    5 budget is 1500 euro

6. Maybe i go for dd wheel but I think no out of the box plug..and play? to much settings not every sim support standart in profiels?

Some little help here from the diehards simracers here?

Grtzz muzikant

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

maybe go direct drive and get that feeling

3. muzikant

muzikant Registered

yepp but what is the support..installing... out of the box?

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

muzikant likes this.
  5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

6. Supa

Supa Registered

Simsteering 2 dd wheel by Leo Bednar is plug and play but pricey. HE pro pedals from heusinkveld engineering.

muzikant likes this.
  7. Supa

Supa Registered

Bodnar

muzikant likes this.
  8. muzikant

muzikant Registered

I have a Rseat. strong enough!
    And Leo Botnar good stuff but not in my budget

mesfigas likes this.
  9. muzikant

muzikant Registered

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    muzikant likes this.
  11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Do not i repeat do not go for the club sports v3 pedals.
    They have many design flaws which I’ve pointed out over the years on various forums,to be ridiculed,until inside sim racing did a video on them showing the major flat they have,which is a design flaw which can’t be fixed.

If you want to go fanatec go with the csl elites,they are much better designed,cheaper but just don’t look as good.

Your mileage might vary but I’ve tried most dd wheels and belt drive wheels and I can honestly say,until the prices of dd wheels come down by a huge amount,I will never justify the slight gains you get on track for the money.

I’m sticking with my t300 it gives 90% of the info that dd wheels do but at a much much less cost.

We all go through the faze of seeing all these people using “amazing high tech”. gear,and we wonder what we are missing out on,and you think it’s a huge amount until you actually try it.

My recommendation will always be,get a good set of loadcell pedals first,before any wheel upgrade,your brake pedal is more important that the wheel.
    Then either get a decent mid range belt drive like t300,but obviously if your wheel died I’d get the above together.

Don’t go for another gear driven Logitech wheel,it will just be a side step instead of an upgrade.

Top range fanatecs wheels aren’t far off dd wheels so I would never recommend them

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Wowo mate didnt knew thanks god i didnt bought them

patchedupdemon likes this.
  13. patchedupdemon

It’s ridiculous when I think about it,I bought their flagship pedals and a few months later they release there low-mid tear pedals which are actually better in every aspect apart from the way they look,but in sim racing,function should alwYs come before form

14. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Two months ago I upgraded from a G920 to a TS-PC and CSL elite LC pedals. Couldn't be happier.
    This is probably the highest I'll ever go. I don't think I can justify more expensive wheels/pedals.

patchedupdemon, muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  15. muzikant

muzikant Registered

How are the pedals..in comparison from fanatec elite with G27/920

16. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Was it a sofware error like this on the pedals???

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23128-clubsport-pedals-v3-wont-work/

17. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

In a few words, worth the money...and they're not too expensive either.
    Logitech pedals get the job done but the LC brake is just far more realistic and gives you better control.

patchedupdemon and muzikant like this.
  18. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@patchedupdemon Is the CSL Elite sufficient or would you recommend having the load cell kit as well? TIA

19. patchedupdemon

Nah,there’s a rod in the brake assembly that fits into the red cylinder and pushes down when you press it,onto the either the standard foams or the upgraded polyurethane bushes,which I turn put pressure on the loadcell.

This metal rod grinds on the inner edges of the red cylinder,causing a treading on snow feeling giving a noisy single on the loadcell,it’s an alignment issue and very poorly designed,the tolerance just isn’t there for this to be a good idea.

Every month i had to take the whole brake assembles apart and clean out the bushes and cylinder because of all the metal fillings that were created.

After a couple of years of weekly use,it’s stopped because it’s worn away so much metal,but now there’s a lot of slop/wobble in the assembly.

There’s no way around this,also many more knowledgable people said that the loadcells curve isn’t linear with the pressure applied,it took me ages to figure out,that to hold the same braking pressure,say 80%,you have to apply pressure to get to 80%,but instead of holding that same pressure,you have to keep applying more.

The screws are all made of cheese,the foams inside the red housing,when compressed bulge out in the middle,but because they are housed,they that bulging is contstircred,so again you don’t get a good clean linear input of pressure into the loadcell

If you look at all the high end loadcells.the braking media isn’t housed,it’s open,and free to twisted bend and bulge without constrictions.

They are just poorly designed in many people’s opinion.

Also the brake performance kit is a rip off,I soureced my own identical material at a 6th of the cost which is enough to make 10 performance kits.

I posted this on iracing forum,and someone asked for the the complete info and I gave it him,and he’s sold quite a few to people on the forum for £5 instead of the £30 fanatec wants.

The v3 in every respect are over priced,oh I forgot to add,the dampener adds nothing and will dissasemble itself after short light use

The csl elites have rectified most if not all of these design flaws,it’s a no brainier in my option which to choose.

I really wish I wasn’t impatient,because I was on the waiting list for the protosimtech pt1 pedals,they are the best high end pedal for the price imho,you would never have to buy another set,also Chris who owns that company and manufactures all the parts in house,is an amazing guy,he bends over backwards to make sure his customers are happy,the price in opinion is worth it just for the customer service he provides.

A stark contrast to fanatecs customer service

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  20. patchedupdemon

I’d go for the loadcell kit,personally,the control offered of potentiometer based pedals is worth ever penny,they give you modulation of the braking

Protosimtech pt1 is my recommendation if folks can afford them,they will be the last set of pedals you would need to buy