AI cars are always tapping the brakes in corners

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mike Cantwell, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi everyone,

I thought it was just my track i am building in DEV mode, but i have noticed more and more that many AI cars on many tracks do the same.

They brake normally into a corner then tap and accelerate quickly through the corner in a jerky motion.

This seams to be after the last 2 or 3 updates. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

2ndLastJedi and Louis like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's been like that for quite a long time. It's just how the AI here drive. Would guess there's something of a tradeoff between dynamic AI cars (that actually 'think' their way around) and easily making AI cars drive smoothly. Hopefully this behaviour will be improved at some point.

I'd call it unrealistic, but then I've seen people driving on the motorway doing pretty much exactly the same thing. Lots of people seem unable to let a car roll for a bit...

3. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Just a comment on this behaviour from another sim.
    The Raceroom AI´s are behaving with some kind of the same unrealistic stopAndGo.
    Before a corner they abruptly brake harder than is possible with a human car.
    Exiting the corner they are able to accelerate ealier and faster than a human driven car.
    My own conclusion is that the abruptness is caused by a too simple AI algoritm and the unrealistic brake/accelerate rate is caused by the AI´s (simplified) tire model.
    Probably just like rF2:rolleyes:

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In your player.JSON file search for AI Logic, change the 0 to a 1 and see if this improves their cornering behaviour. I've been testing it a bit lately and whilst this setting change has had some good effects it does "turn off" the BLOCK Path so I've found racing the AI to become a bit more Stale (I prefer to leave it at default 0). Hopefully we can find some middle ground so that in the future Studio397 may revisit and tweak this area of the AI.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Nielsen You're describing something else. This is about the throttle and brake 'tapping' through the corner, which you can hear if you ride onboard with AI. The fact that rF2 AI actually drives (instead of just following a line like robots) I think leads to this, and reduces the amount of silly performance you should see (this is partly dependent on how the AI tyres are done, something many third party mods (at least) aren't too careful with). The behaviour you describe should be rare in rF2.

6. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Yeah its so quite different - what did I think of?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

8. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

This brake tapping / strange cornering behavior happens all the time when I drive with AI cars. Perhaps it's an artifact of slower vehicles, but the Z06 Corvette and GT3 cars seem to do it.

9. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

I just tried the new March 761 at the newly released Hockenheimring and it is quite bad there. So it seems to affect most cars and tracks.

10. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Dan-Ove Brantholm Registered

I fired up rfactor1 that I haven't used for over a year just to check this behavior. The AI in rfactor1 doesn't do this!

11. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Aeyrton Senna driving style on steroids.

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I made a vid in November 2016 showin rF2 Ai as intelligent and when going back and watching it the Ai didnt behave like this back then ! Or if they did it wasn't nearly as obvious .

Sorry for the bad recording , lol i was new into PC's then :) first PC at age 40 , lol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Mike Cantwell likes this.