Released NEW! Endurance Pack - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: June 2018
    VR.jpg

It seem to be stunning 1,33% now, sorry to giving too low numbers earlier :)

bwana likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

It's curious.
    We must be a rare web, because we are already many more than that %.

3. Filip

Filip Registered

VR users are more than 1% if you do a poll on a specific sim racing forum like this.
    But those numbers above are probably for all steam users?
    In that case it isn't much relevant for racing sim statistics

RaceNut likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Ari Antero I would say they identified the rain in VR as a performance issue because it's the most glaring (performance) issue at the moment. They said it would be worked on, here they are in the next roadmap saying it's being worked on and a solution looks to have been found, which I think is what people want from these roadmap things (usually the complaint is no mention of UI, but they mentioned that this time too). Next part of that paragraph mentions the huge raindrops on external cameras which will also be fixed, as far as I know that affects everyone. As does the entire rest of the roadmap.

So I'd avoid trying to draw conclusions about motive. Especially if the suggestion is that they're trying to ignore the majority of their users in favour of helping a small minority (0.5% in your eyes at the time). I don't see why they'd want to do that.

The one thing I think we can be pretty confident about: 'heat in the forums' doesn't seem to motivate them much at all, based on past complaints/suggestions. So no, I don't think vocal VR users are getting undue attention.

Jeferson Richart and Eddy like this.
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

Only one VR user in our league of 20+_ regular racers ..

6. lagg

lagg Registered

It's curious, that in our league we are a lot more. In the last F1 race we were 5 using VR.

7. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

In our league (Brazil) on a grid of 20 drivers, we have 6 with Rift.

8. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I've only recently begun looking into rF2 multiplayer, so have no stats to share of my own, but amongst the iRacing Spec Racer Ford regulars I know, 5 are VR users.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Wonder if the VR users go without for online becuase of the performance.

Just putting it out there.

10. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

I don’t race multiplayer in VR due to performance. The only time I use VR right now is for hot lapping due to rfactor2s poor performance.

On the endurance pack topic. Anyone else think the steering wheel of the lmp2 and lmp3 cars are comically small? Looks very odd in VR. All the other cars are fine.

11. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

We ran online without problems. We only suffer when there is rain, where the FPS drops and gets a little bad in the RV.

12. C. Banger

C. Banger Registered

Rain causing performance drops is a general problem not just VR and 4K specific. They're just the ones that experience the effects the most as they're pushing the limits. If they found a solution to optimise it, then everyone benefits by having a better experience - even the 'common user'. Lower or mid-spec systems can run higher settings. Any optimisation of game engine performance benefits all. Just my tuppence.

13. Filip

Filip Registered

But in roadmap only VR performance is mentioned and Marcell said other users might benefit slightly

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I also find it very unfortunate that the optimization of the rain only concerns the VR. Marcel just said that, perhaps, all non-VR users would have hypothetically very slight improvements.

Just out of curiosity, I compared my minimum FPS with and without rain (mostly cloudy and rain + 10:30AM + Atlanta MP + 30 AI + mirrors ON

// VS //

100% same graphics settings (rain High not ultra + road reflection ultra + low soft particles) + mostly cloudy, mirrors, 30 AI, 10:30 am, Atlanta MP Approximately 10 laps for both, recording from 2nd lap.

-----> 48% less FPS for minimum FPS.
    I am confident that in other test configurations the loss can reach 60%.

The day when RF2 will be a little more optimized on the following aspects, RF2 will be like velvet, and will not run away from users :

- AI (the most poorly optimized element, but only for offline players who I think are much more numerous (I think): strongly aggravated by races with many different types of cars (I love multi-class races)
    - Rain + wet road
    - Sunset / sunrise / night (aggravated by the time scale)
    - Mirrors (incredibly poorly optimized, there is a real problem with that).

The optimization problem of RF2 does not come from the graphical parameters of the UI or the PP, even if improvements will be good news.

I "cross my fingers" for the staff of RF2 to plan the improvement of these 5 elements.

AFTER we may be talking about real endurances races :
    ~ 40/50 AI + mostly cloudy and rain + sunset or sunrise or night with time scale + mirrors (for users who do not have PCs at 2000 €).

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Rain decreasing performance is not a problem itself. Once you add more stuff on screen like raindrops, windshield rain effects and all the road reflections and wet road interaction with rain drops, the GPU has to render more things, ergo less FPS. If rain would produce no notable performance decrease, then it means dry weather is badly optimized. So in an ideal optimized engine, the drop in FPS from rain should be obvious. The question is of course, how much.

Lazza likes this.
  16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

When I was asking SMP support to Nvidia 10xx cards I was told that according Steam Hardware & Software Survey there are too low %`s of Nvidia 10xx card owners and if you look Steam Hardware & Software Survey there are at least 10 times more Nvidia 10xx card`s which has SMP support.o_O
    Making a poll to sim racing forum about hardware like VR which has so bad performance and immersion would be a joke and not relevant at all. It is oblivious that VR has huge performance issues and much larger % of VR users are looking VR support or settings & tips in any forum.

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You're probably going to run into CPU realtime issues on that, such is the complexity of RF2s physics engine.

18. Filip

Filip Registered

Nobody questions that. But when rain means 50% fps drop (meaning half fps) compared to dry with all other conditions equal that means that I (and probably most other users that reported such issue) have probably bigger fps drop with rain than with putting every single gfx option to ultra. Btw I have really low gfx settings.

19. Filip

Filip Registered

But isn't VR support almost non-existent in a tipical steam library game of average steam user?
    What I am trying to say is that I believe sim racers use VR much more than average steam users due to majority of racing sims supporting VR.
    So general steam stats shouldn't be relevant unless stat is for racing sim(s) only

20. C. Banger

C. Banger Registered

If you're getting nearly 50% loss with rain, then you should welcome any optimisation, even as a non-VR user, no? I agree with you about transitions from day-night. They're an FPS killer too.

I don't disagree with you one bit. But if some users are experiencing 50% performance loss there's clearly some optimising to do.