SOLVED Why so shiny? rFactor 1 -> rFactor 2 vehicle porting

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by thoraxe, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Traveller

Traveller Member

You'll have to place actual texture entries in the __DIFFUSE and __SPECULAR locations. Those are just placeholders.

2. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

I can no longer open 3DSimEd, so that option is out, which I've already mentioned. The VEH file does not provide any indication regarding materials. Are you sure you don't mean the GEN? The VEH does indicate the livery, but that's not a material...

Looking at the Skippy in Blender I see that the shader on body parts is "L2CARBODYPAINTWITHDAMAGE" which is a "special" shader. There are a number of textures associated with the shader.

I went back into my model, changed the shader to the special "L2CARBODYPAINTWITHDAMAGE", and that resulted in a number of __ textures on the shader.

I simply set all the newly "undefined" textures to the same WCCARBODY.DDS. When I export and attempt to load the car in DevMode, now I get:

Code:
    Error getting stats for texture MATH.BMPError loading texture MATH for material WCCARBODY

3. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

@Traveller couple of questions :

* Which is the right shader to use? Is it the same as skippy "L2CARBODYPAINTWITHDAMAGE"?
    * What am I supposed to put in the diffuse and specular locations? There's already a specular.tga that came with this thing. Put that again? As for diffuse, no idea what to put. And L2.... has several material slots which all say diffuse or specular, with no indication of which is which or for what.

If I compare to the Skippy some of them are for damage and blah blah. At this time I'm not particularly concerned with damage or etc, so does that mean I can use one of the "simpler" shaders?

4. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

So, tried something "simpler". There's a special shader just called "Custom Car Body". Selecting this one only added an additional expected specular texture. I duplicated the existing specular.tga and exported the car. Success! It now doesn't glow, and this also fixed some of the interior issues, although the dashboard doesn't fully work, I at least see an RPM gauge.

I had also changed my skin to be white, and the car is now white! This is significant progress.

I guess a serious question for @Traveller is whether or not there's better shader documentation yet, especially regarding what type of textures are needed for which "slots" in the shader.

Thanks!

5. dazzer

dazzer Registered

you must also export the new textures in your maps folder, the error indicates that you can not find the image file

6. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

I think you have the chicken and egg mixed up.

Changing the shader ends up with new "placeholders" for textures. It's not so much that the textures need to be exported, but it appears that the textures need to be selected from something. The question is which "texture slot" needs to be populated with what kind of texture. The error I got was because there was a placeholder filename that was in the texture "slot", but no actual file (DDS/TGA) existed. There wasn't anything to "export" from Blender, at least not that I could tell.

For example, the skippy body has a regular body texture and then a damaged texture in the "second slot". My guess is that L2CARBODYPAINTWITHDAMAGE has slots for damage and other things, but it's not clear which slot is for what type of texture. That's what I'm hoping @Traveller knows and can share.

7. Traveller

Traveller Member

I don't have any better documentation. I use the latest from Studio 397, now, for car and track materials. All the others from examining released GMT's via the Blender importer or a hex editor. Unless the rF2 community has some information somewhere.

8. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

@Traveller OK. I'll post questions separately on a few things. But I'll mark this as solved. "Custom Car Body" works well enough but my guess is it will have shortcomings for damage and blah blah.

9. dazzer

dazzer Registered

texture map: principal map
    channel 1: damage texture
    channel 2: specular the principal map
    channel 3: bumpmap the principal map
    channel 4: cube map
    channel 5: damage bump map
    channel 7: bump map rain

Mauro and thoraxe like this.
  10. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

NICE.

But what does that all mean? ;)

11. dazzer

dazzer Registered

bumpmap are apecularmap is files that are generated in photoshop by means of the NVIDIA plugin
    example
    345.jpg
    uyiyui.jpg
    FHFGHFGHFGHGFHGFH.jpg

12. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

@dazzer to the rescue again. awesome.

Is there an equivalent GIMP plugin for the NVIDIA stuff?

What is the purpose of the Cube map?

13. dazzer

dazzer Registered

14. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

@dazzer Gimp has a DDS plugin. I don't have Photoshop. I'll check that video and see what I can figure out.

15. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I don't know if gimp will have the nvidia plugin

16. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

Can you link me to the NVidia plugin?

Does paint.net use the NVidia plugin?

17. dazzer

dazzer Registered

no, I only use it as support, the nvidia plugin only works in photoshop

18. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

Can you link me to the Nvidia plugin for more information?

19. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered

20. thoraxe

thoraxe Registered