Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@2ndLastJedi These are my in-game settings:
    I have also attached my player.json as not sure what you would look at there.
    @Andregee I wouldn't expect to see much in real life either. Bumps don't flatten themselves out, and rF2 seems to reflect that. As mentioned before, not sure what people are trying to achieve, driving on mirror flat surfaces all the time(?) Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that the idea of off track driving and bumpy curves was to try and avoid them to some extent. If guys are experiencing 'shake' on a smooth surface, then I see that would be an issue and would have no answer as to why it happens. Perhaps someone could post a video of the issue(?)

Attached Files:

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

In real life your neck muscles and your pupile movement compensate the world movement like an optical image stabilizer while driving over bumps. Took the Corvette GT3 what is a really stiff car and try to drive fast over curbs. You will lose the focus and thats really awfuly. And than go drive your car over a bumpy road or high curbs and you will notice, you can still see everything absolutely clearly

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    blanes likes this.
  3. elbo

elbo Registered

Best explanation I have seen for this is still the light switch on the wall...Look at a light switch on a wall and jump up and down, the switch you are focused on stays in the center of your field of view as your eyes follow it through the motion, it does not wind up at the bottom and top of your field of view because like Andregee says your eyes compensate for the movement. Right now the way RF2 is set up it is like the light switch moves up and down and you stay put.

blanes and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

- Try W10 if you have W7, works for me.
    - Deactivate ALL OC on your hardware : partially works for me.

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

My issues isn't bumps , i actually really enjoy bumpy tracks in Formula Cars in VR but when the car moves and not the world .
    ATM the world jumps up and down and the car stay quite still ,I just want it the other way .
    The light switch explanation is about as good as I've heard .

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Realise what you all mean now

This only seems to happen in a mature 3rd modded tracks where it feels as those someone has left a large hose pipe across the track yuk

I’m staying right away from them !

It’s dysfunctional tracks I really think the problem is , doesn’t happen on official isi/397 ones
    ( & the few quality mid ones )

Filip likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Sorry mate , must have missed this post .
    When selecting anything i have to Alt Tab instantly after mouse click and then i can scroll mouse happily or drive until i need to click again , then Alt Tab again .
    After selecting Drive i must hit Alt Tab and Off i go , if i fail to Alt Tab i can tell instantly because the game will either Stutter constantly or freezes altogether , for (i've counted) up to 22 seconds were i still have sound and most times the game is still driving in the background ,because when i return my car is smashed or completely off track :(
    After Alt Tab the game is almost perfectly stable at 90 FPS with only minor drops other than off race start on some tracks it will stay at 45 until field spread .

I've started removing any older or unused , unwanted app in the hope of stumbling across something that is causing this .
    But honestly rF2 is the only app , game that is effected so i'm really at a loss here :(
    I love rF2 so i will find the culprit and SQUASH it !.....hopefully .

Adrianstealth likes this.
  8. CoNa

CoNa Registered

As RHM does not work with VR anymore it seems, I have tried with the head physics. It works but the only thing I don’t like are the pitch/g-forces when accellerating or braking as it’s really VR-sickness inducing.
    So far I have used 20% head pysics and it helps without adding too much of the pitch motion, but the stiffer the car, the overall more motion is needed as not to get the eye strain I get without it.
    Is there any settings to turn off / dial down just the back/forth motion?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

No

Just wait for the update think it’s being worked on

10. CoNa

CoNa Registered

I have not seem any updates on that lately. So it might take quite long time before it’s been implemented. Would be nice to have some progress update.

Ernie likes this.
  11. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Its probably the most requested feature since VR was released.
    I've brought it up numerous times and its for sure being looked at and I would be very surprised if this doesn't happen.
    I think the issue is, releasing something that works well for the majority of the time, rather than creating as many problems as it solves.

The best thing all VR users can do is keep adding constructive arguments as to why this is needed. The most requested things tend to be prioritised by the dev team where possible.

Ernie and MarcG like this.
  12. Ernie

Ernie Registered

When i set the head physics to 80-100% it's a little bit like "lock to horizon", but then i get some unwanted g-force simulation in VR. The head moves back and forth during acceleration & braking, which feels very uncomfortable in VR. Is there an option (or hidden parameter) to switch this off?

Apart from that i'm still waiting for a proper "lock to horizon" implementation by @Studio397. Please.

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don’t know why but with AC without “ lock to horizon” option I have strong motion sickness and dizziness, but with rfactor2 I can run 2h without any problem.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Jeferson Richart likes this.
  14. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

RHM works great in AC with VR; I can't use LTH in AC because any steep hills cause unnatural view behavior with the HMD.

15. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

Me too. I do not need LTH in rF2. I can run for hours and I have no disease and dizziness.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

to all that are not interested in LTH, good for you.
    for the other, a way to have it in R3E has just been found and works very well. it goes like this:
    1. Open Windows Powershell (press windows button in the bottom left corner and type in windows powershell) and use this two lines to replace the orientation speed value.
    2. enter your cars folder, below is mine. copy &paste and press enter:
    Code:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars"
    3. set the changes you would like to use and copy & paste the second line and press enter:
    Code:
    ls cockpit_driver_view.xml -rec | %{$f=$_; (gc $f.PSPath) | %{$_ -replace "0.00000000 0.00

is there a chance something similar would work for RF2?

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think I didn’t use lock to horizon in AC, AC doesnt have a problem with things shaking about

I find its only certain rfactor2 tracks , seems sometimes a bump is like a firemans hose pipe(s) has been left accross the track which causes view to shake and makes my motion rig feel as if its being hit by a hammer,
    is this truely amature track building or rubbish track software tech ?? I really dont know

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The head physics provide natural damping to oscillations, but you can't separate that from g-force effects, no.

@Cote Dazur The camera orientation parameters are locked in .rfcmp files in rF2 (encrypted or not) so you can't change them. I also doubt setting one of the axis orientation rates to 0.0 is a good idea, a low value would be best so hills can still be seen up/down.

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

the complete line reads like this:
    ls cockpit_driver_view.xml -rec | %{$f=$_; (gc $f.PSPath) | %{$_ -replace "0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed", "1.00000000 0.00000000 1.00000000}</orientationSpeed"} | sc $f.PSPath}

20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im a dope , what do i do to get this to work in R3E ?
    What does Powershell do ?
    lol , i told you i was a dope !