Released Developers Guide released... (Updated June 2018)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Jan 22, 2018.

1. McFlex

McFlex Registered

lagg likes this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Can someone point to where an explanation of what dev mode,mas2,are for or actually do,I’ve looked but either I’m blind or there isn’t any explanation for them.

I tried to run the skip barber in dev mode and my wheel and pedals would not assign,tried detecting and it said no profile for this wheel.
    Then I tried loading +ttool and it just gave me a black screen or windows said rf2 has stopped working.

Granted I was fooling around blind,like a fool,but what else am I too do when there’s no manual so to say.
    I want to play around with physics of a mod a have,but I have no clue how to even get it into dev mode or what tool to use to adjust the physics params.
    I’ve read the modding resources but that written like it’s for folks who already have a clue about this stuff,but I don’t.
    Seems like a starting section that spells out the basics would be a good way of getting more people interested in modding for rf2.

I don’t want to be spoon fed,I just want to be able to research it myself,but just can’t find the info I need

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Dev mode is coming without the controller folder. Copy the folder from main folder structure and paste it into dev mode.

To put a car into dev mode is impossible for latest car updates since you cannot access and edit gen files. You will have to use Camaro or Skip Barber.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  4. patchedupdemon

Thanks for the advice,silly questions to continue though lol

Is dev mode where modders try out their tracks and cars they make,are there any editing tools within devmode.
    Is mas2 just a file utility.
    How do folks adjust the tyre physics,within ttool???.
    Do you have to run real-time tests or just change some params in a folder.
    Sorry for the dumb questions but I need to start somewhere lol

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Mas2 is a file utility. You make mas files and create mods and rfcmps with it.
    I find dev unpredictable. Its fairly good with tracks. But cars are another thing.
    Eg I have issues atm with a new track. It has 7 layouts all work in dev but when packaged 2 layouts crash.
    Now with cars I can have a car crash dev and not be able to work out why, but if I package it up and try in game it'll work.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't need ttool for simpler tyre adjustments (wear rates, grip levels, some sliding characteristics). Tyre files (.tgm) and car physics files (.hdv) and engine files are all text files. You can open them with any text editor. In the .tgm files there's a [Realtime] section which you can alter without needing to rebuild the tyres. Editing any other part of the file requires a rebuild, but for playing around with an existing mod you probably only need to look at the realtime parameters anyway.

There are many parameters in all of these files, you can find info around the place but 80-90% can all be understood by understanding what you're dealing with (tyre, engine, car physics) and reading the comments in the skip barber devmode files.

When you're done fooling around with the modifications and want to put them into the game proper as a new mod, you'll need MAS2 to do the packaging (putting files into .MAS files, and then creating the component and mod).

Mulero and patchedupdemon like this.
  7. patchedupdemon

Great explanation,thank you very much,just what I needed.
    I had a look in one of the mods I downloaded from steam,some of the files had what looked like Egyptian hieroglyphics,does that mean it’s encrypted.
    Again thanks for the help

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

They may be encrypted or you're not using the right program to open them.
    Try and open one of the S397 GT3 mas files with Mas2 and all you get is ,"nup, piss off" sort off message.;)

9. patchedupdemon

I was using notepad to open them,don’t know if that’s right or wrong though lol

Louis likes this.
  10. philman

philman Registered

11. patchedupdemon

Well I managed to creat a copy version of the 2012 Camaro and get it into devmode,was easy looking back at it,just tedious having to rename all the files and search paths,but hey was still fun for this noob,and I learned some keyboard shortcuts,yes that’s how much of a noob I am,I will play around with some of the simpler tyres aspects and just have fun researching it all.
    Thanks for the help guys,I may start a new thread to ask questions,save this one going off topic.

It’s actualky blown my mind just how much work goes into creating a single car from scratch,all those files,I dread to think how long it takes the devs.

12. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Nobody ever stated that creating a car or a track was easy. It requires a lot of hard work, research and testing. I guess learning more about the process makes you respect the people that spend this time a lot more!

13. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

quality over quantity keeps this title alive longer than AC and RR.. I still love rf2 because of the quality. How long does PC2 keep you happy ? Just remember the high quality stuff is what you come back to after the new low quality stuff gets old. I tried the other so called sims....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    jayarrbee36 and patchedupdemon like this.
  14. patchedupdemon

This is the only sim where I can say at some point,each and every official car has been my favourite at some point,each time I play this sim I notice something else which adds to depth of the physics and tyre as a whole.
    Yes they both have room for improvements as does everything,but the driving experience offered by rf2 is second to non imho

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  15. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

I think AC and RR are very lively and when you are that successful there must be some kind of quality in it ;)

16. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Can anyone confirm that there are grip issues with tires in the S397 tire database esspecially the "M_31-71-18x13" or the "M_30-68-18x12.5" tires? We updated our URD EGT league mod to the new tires from the database. We changed the grip (StaticBaseCoefficient and SlidingBaseCoefficient) to match the laptimes we achieved during last season (reduced the grip). Lateral grip seems to be ok but now the resulting longitudinal grip is way to high. It's nearly impossible to lock up the tires under braking compared to the previous tires we used and spinning the tires in first gear from standing with a clutchkick and disabled auto clutch and TC is impossible.

@Michael Borda and @Marcel Offermans do you have any advice what we can look at to solve the issue? Esspecailly the unabillity to spin the tires is very strange to me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  17. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

One way would be to increase BeltSpringZ and TreadSpringZPerUnitArea values (only the base number).
    Load the tyre into ttool, in realtimesection run physics , add some realistic load, make the nominal radius same as dynamic unloaded radius, now change the slip ratio to -10%. You should now see more than half of the bristles in blue, if not increase the base values, reload the tyre and repeat.

18. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Thx for your answer and your advice. I tried that but in this case it didn't help me. I solved the problem by reducing the SlidingBaseCoefficient. As the tyre modding pdf said we used 70% of the StaticBaseCoefficient but this was way to much. We reduced it to something from 60%-65%. Now we have to test a little bit with this values. But anyway thanks for your answer.

19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Guide to making the position lights is up on the dev site.

lordpantsington, lagg, Goanna and 5 others like this.