Multiplayer server

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Marko, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Marko

Marko Registered

Hi all.
    I was wondering. Is there a posibilty that server owners have more control over track or car than other drivers?
    Or to be more clear, with sudo rights on server can you have different car mod files, therefore have more grip for instance, or different tyre file etc?
    Marko

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Well, everyone else who was joining would need those files too, and would be able to drive the same car, so no.

3. Marko

Marko Registered

Ok can be.
    Still, in 20+ years online gaming i havent yet seen single game without cheat.
    I mean this multiplayer model with user creating servers is screaming for it. Even big companies like Valve had huge issues with hacks (counter strike 1.6 f.e). Blizzard also and they have official servers. In this mp model, with base code more then 15y old i would expect many workarounds and creative solutions.
    Marko

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Definitely It can be done.

A good idea is to use the original mods from steam workshop.

When you play on official servers, like iRacing, at least you have the guarantee that the car is equals to everyone.

But isn't resolve other types of cheat, like changing the memory data on the fly. This is why iRacing has his own anti-cheater.

And we have simracingtools.

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Only thing a server admin can do on the fly is to set X amount of ballast to one or some drivers, but in that case you see a message in the chat box.

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Does the software not check that all the files are the same on the handshake? Isn't that why, if you try to join a server with a different configuration of the mod or track, you get incompatible errors?
    For example if you change even one letter in the .scn file the server says you have a different track and won't let you join. Am I incorrect on this? :eek:

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

@Marcel Offermans i think it's important to consider this, since we starting to have competitive online events, and the competition system is comming.

An integrated anti-cheater would be nice.