iRacing's like online multiplayer system in rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avenger82, Jun 8, 2018.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

@Marcel Offermans
    I don't know if this subject has been raised, but was S397 evaluating bringing online competition system similar to iRacing's (matching drivers according to ratings etc.) ?
    I know they are developing different competition infrastructure, but why not replicate something that really works and brings users (and revenue)? I'm surprised no other sim didn't implement anything similar yet.
    It could be free service (for some time) to bring simmers to rF2 that don't want to pay so much for iRacing subscription.

ebeninca and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Imo private leagues are best & better than Iracings system
    -the private leaguesin Iracing are better than Iracings public servers

Be great if more easy to use tools are inbuilt to rfactor2 for leagues

Live timing , tv view for broadcasts,
    Easy deadicated server setup tool,
    Etc

Christos Segkounas and Badboy like this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

We can only hope the new UI and competition system will give proper tool to make it easier for leagues and open races. It's pretty sad there is no or very little effort from devs to make this easier despite the fact that online races in these sims only happens because the community make it happen. It's just ridiculous the community have to develop tools that the devs themselves should be doing.

I wish someone was competing with iRacing indeed, but instead of month/year sub + pay for content a sim could do it on the sub alone, you know pay the sub and get access to all content, in the end you'd be buying a new game from the devs every year anyway

4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Iracing has no competitors.
    which means go pay 18 euros for a track that has the worst trees in the world :)

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

7. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

But tracks are laser scanned. But I agree it's the most expensive sim, but still many people are willing to pay for it. That's why I'm surprised no other sim has replicated it's online system.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

other games dont have their online system so ppl instead of join wreckfest at ac pcar2 raceroom they prefer to pay in a server with strong rules.
    iracing prepare their customers to a racing way that somehow if you dont keep doing the basics you downgrade your self
    i dont really know if that system is so much expensive or so much advanced so others racing games haven't achieve.

9. Tompa

Tompa Registered

Its not just having a safety and race rating, for me iRacing also offers more when it comes
    to finishing the race, points and the feeling that what you are doing actually counts....

In iRacing I have practice servers that is open all the time and official race times that is
    more adjusted to my life and it gives me more freedom choosing when to race.

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

thats why its expensive
    they offer a system that always works
    no need to look further

11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Most people who take their race craft serious in iracing eventually get sick of the state of racing in the public series and only use leagues,or very low populated series.
    I was one of them,the harder cars to drive have lower entries but better racing.
    Iracing is a well polished product,but so it should be,it’s been in the same devs hands for ten yrs,they offer pick up and crash racing that people flock to,the most popular series are turn one wreck fest,with people not caring because there’s another race in 30-45 mins.

Even empty box who’s a self proclaimed iracing fanboy,has been ranting about it lately,basically they rating systems aren’t doing what iracing proclaim they should achieve

ebeninca likes this.
  12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The real expense of this as a continous service is servers (tho I wonder how expensive they really are if a business is hiring them), system wise rF2 already has part of what is needed for a safety rating (just read race logs in rF2 LA). And scheduling races is not really hard you know, devs in other sims are just lazy to make a couple of scripts and add them to servers.

13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

its a mmo style racing game that people farm irating and safe rating but having playing all online racing games at least iracing inst a wreck fest.i played many races in assetto corsa nad drivers there ram your car like you dont even exist on the track
    blindest selfish noobas that they dont give a damn for anyone and that goes for pcars2 and raceroom as well.

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

It’s better than public servers on other titles,but it’s no the holly grail some make it out to be,for that the ratings and penalty system need to be a whole lot harsher

15. Tompa

Tompa Registered

maybe true although I have never seen any real troll in iRacing so far wrecking my race, compared to other sims and that is what counts for me anyway. Yes there are accidents in almost every race but there is in real racing too.(Verstappen style)

However, speaking of, does every server in rFactor2 needs to be locked?
    Is there so many trolls and grievers that we need servers to be locked with 2 guys racing on them(gotta be fun eh?!), I dont know, is there? Come on guys, unlock them! Atleast admins can kick? Unlike raceroom..lol

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well admins are not online all the time, dealing with the league itself is already a pain no reason to spend more time in a open server where someone can just change his name and go back to troll. And if there are only 2 guys they are probably practicing, not racing.

I think the biggest problem is that some people want a race to happen with 0 accidents, that's just as fantasy as the red stuff out there :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    ebeninca likes this.
  17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i want a race that drivers knows well where the brake pedal is located

ebeninca likes this.
  18. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

You are right because as it is now in iRacing its so easy to up your Safety Rating again even after a lot of crashes.
    But the problem for iRacing is (probably) that they in reality dont want to punish paying customers with penalities that would really downrate (and annoy) them.
    I have.
    I once reported a Brasilian guy who often in practice sessions just parked his car on the trackside and then when he could hear people approaching started the car and ramped into the side or front of as many cars he could hit.
    As I could follow after the report he was banned by iRacing from online races for about 2 weeks.

Conserning a possible competition for iRacings 24/7 service then my guess is that as long as iRacing offer so lousy (and unrealistic) a tire model as they are still doing it would be possible to establish an economical sound competition - but if iRacings announced v7 TM is on the level of rF2 and Racerooms TM then no competing sim will economical come near iRacings very complete service in any forseable future.
    So if Im right then the window is open now - but if iRacing after these about 10 years can manage to create a useable TM then the windows will be closed for good :)

Hehe and I will be ready again to pay the membership fee :)

ebeninca, mesfigas and patchedupdemon like this.
  19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The window has been open for a decade and nobody did anything, funny thing is that rF2 could kick iRacing's butt if proper choices were made (since it already had 24h cycle that works, weather, no 5 car limit, great netcode since release etc). Starting doing that at release would have led to a better product by now as bugs and other issues would have to be fixed rather than ignored. But they chose to do the weirdest multiplayer choice ever with a pay wall that offered nothing in return :confused:
    At the same time iRacing itself does not seem to be interested in evolving as it should, maybe because of lack of competition. Or their base game is just too bad to add some things and needs more time, what gave other devs time to compete but they didnt :confused:
    Sim racing is a really really really weird area.

mesfigas likes this.
  20. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Eventhough I agree fully with you about as example that rF2 i a lot of areas could potientially establish a similiar 24/7 platform then at the same time my assessment of iRacing (exept their catastrophic laughtable TM) is that iRacings "RL-ish environment" is much more convincing than rF2´s.
    Take as example the way you in a race does check your relative position (the time gap between you and the nearest cars).
    In rF2 a completely arcadish track "map" with some colored "blops" is ment to show the cars next to your car.
    Come on? :)
    Does this childish Mario Bros gamey display toy raise your realism feeling?

Check the same in iRacing where the driver can check his relative position just like in real professional racing and in TV.
    And I could go on and on with as example the goofy name labels hovering above the rF2 cars in MP.
    Funny - but again - come on rF2?
    These 2 areas are examples where 397 without much effort could up the rF2 graphically from game to a more realistic sim.
    In allmost all such tiny (but important) areas iRacing is much more completed and realistic than any other racing sims (I know of).
    Hehe another racing "sim" that completely have lost the punch in this "small things realism" area is Raceroom - which TM I otherwise consider like one of the best existing.
    For those of you who have installed Raceroom check as example out what the driver have to do before and while pitting in a MP race. :)

mesfigas likes this.