OR & GTX1060?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Greg23, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

i7 - 7800x @3.50 GHz
    GTX1060 6Gb
    16 Gb ram 1064 MHz

Doable with Occulus Rift?
    If so, how doable?

I started with papyrus Indy 500 and thought it was GREAT. Finally a racing sim!
    When GP Legends came out I couldn't imagine it getting much better.
    And now, here we are. It took about 25 years and if I have to wait a little longer for the GTX1080i price to come down I can do that - as long as I don't run out of years ;-)

Thanks for any replies,

Greg

2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

3. Skan

Skan Registered

If you put another 16 gigs of ram in there, that thing will do a lot more than you think it will.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Skan Does running VR exceed 16GB ram?

5. Skan

Skan Registered

@Lazza That question has no simplified answer. That answer depends on all of the usual things an answer like that depends on. Having more ram will only help.

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Lot of RAM is never overkill. 32GB ram, 800mb page file = faster PC.

8. patchedupdemon

Educate me then,why do I never see over 6gb used in iracing,with all other games around 3gb Mark,I have 16gb and for gaming I can’t see why I need more

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In general terms it should have a fairly simplified answer; someone with normal stuff running in the background only and using 13GB of ram while playing with VR, would almost certainly indicate other people don't need more than 16GB (as an example). But I wasn't suggesting anything - I was genuinely curious, since it sounded like you knew it would help.

Now, if people like Ari are going to suggest RAM pagefiles, then that *can* help, but I think that's another topic (and in many cases, what's put in the pagefile when you have adequate RAM anyway is so low-usage it probably won't make any difference... but I digress). Some people are led to believe having heaps of RAM sitting there empty is somehow speeding things up, so just going for clarity.

CamiloNino and patchedupdemon like this.
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

What I am saying is that page file is using your HD with win default setup and HD is slower than your RAM. If you have 32gb of RAM you can turn off size of the page file or to 800mb in case your PC crashes and you don`t want to loose non saved info. You don`t have to have lot of RAM but if you have using 0 size of page file or 800mb your PC is loading and working faster.

David Kolody likes this.
  11. Skan

Skan Registered

Lazza, not only have I explained reasons for needing more ram than you think, you have commented in those same threads.

I'll give an analogy or 2 and another partial explanation. Not getting more ram due to finances is understandable, telling others they do not need more ram based on your understanding of ram is not.

Analogy 1... You have gas in a car. Would you only have the exact amount of gas you think you need?

Analogy 2... Do you only have the exact amount of knives and forks you need for the amount of people in your home?

Bonus analogy... Speedlimit in my town is "X" mph, should I buy a car that only does "X" mph?

Partial explanation… Just because you click task manager and see things there dopes not mean that is the only usage of your ram. Windows itself takes ram as does steam. That is before anything is pressed or loaded. Weather you admit it or not, the processes that you think are not taking up resources are. Everything in and on your pc is directly affected by the amount of ram you have and it's speed. Instead of doing it this way, why not study on your own and find out why more is better in that situation?

We have veered far enough off topic now. To the original poster, double your ram and enjoy. Make sure you post some screen shots or videos or something.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

If you give advice such as "double up your RAM", you should be able to back it up with evidence. Saying more RAM is always better does not work as evidence, because based on this logic, how far should we go? 64 GB or even 128 GB RAM? What makes it even worse advice is that RAM is very expensive at the current moment, almost twice as expensive as in 2016. So the sensible choice financially would be to delay any RAM upgrades.

There is great consensus online that the most you would ever need for gaming in 2018 is 16 GB. Even 8 GB is well doable if you close all background tasks. The game itself only consumes around 4 GB of RAM, so 32 GB is overkill most definitely. For tasks like video editing or rendering, the story is different, because the program itself makes use of all the extra RAM. rF2 does not.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Skan I just went through your entire post history (it's obviously easier than backtracking through my own) and I couldn't see any mention of RAM in the preview lines, or threads discussing that sort of thing - except the thread you started (and only you've posted in) with various system tips, in which you say there's no such thing as too much RAM. And that's true, because more RAM won't make anything worse. If I replied to anything you said about RAM I couldn't find it, but if I said that MOAR IS GOOOOD then I must have been having an off day.

Now, if we can get back to the context of someone asking about their Rift with a 1060, can you explain why there would be a benefit to upgrading to 32GB of RAM? Because that's what you've intimated. If you know that 16GB is borderline and more helps, fine. If you want to talk about generalities and potential gains that might be made by doing certain things, I don't think that's really relevant. Until very recently I had a system with 4GB of RAM and I had no ram related issues in rF2 with a single screen, so in the context of gaming I take any ram recommendations with a big grain of salt.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  14. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

There is no use for more then 16GB currently in Sim racing that is. if your talking about other task then perhaps. CAD software, photo editing, etc then yes more then 16GB is required. Actually i Have a game called Final fantasy XV and that apparently uses more then 16GB and i think recommends 32gb but this indeed is rare. so really to recommend more ram is silly. Im sitting in windows now looking at the other 28GB sitting there doing nothing which is typical.Now faster RAM is another story. Newer processors are taking advantage of higher ram speeds in certain games which is nice to see.

In regards to the OP. Id say a 1060 you can do VR with settings turned down for a smooth experience.

hugpp likes this.
  15. Skan

Skan Registered

Stone, I was talking to Lazza.

Lazza, if "the game" only uses 4 gigs of ram and windows itself uses about that much at any given time whether you can see it or not, and steam uses ram... we are already at an amount over the 8 gigs that you think are doable. Take into consideration anything else running (wheel profiler, plugins, other non sim related things that people thing mean nothing) and you will be left with a little amount of actual ram for the pc to play around with.

This is a dead horse. Those that have in their mind that they only need the bare minimum will continue to think that.

David Kolody likes this.
  16. patchedupdemon

Windows uses 4gb ???? How does my son play games on his laptop then given that it only has 4gb,by that statement it couldn’t do anything more than run itself.

It’s quite simple,having more ram just because you think more is better is pointless,buying more ram because you need it,well that’s just common sense.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Pick below is S397 GT3 at Nola, triple screen, weather rain, max settings,capped FPS to 60, 41 AI and as you can see RAM usage is 11533 MB and page file is 19439 MB.
    There seem to be so many wise guys around here that I must ask how much RAM should I use to get no stutters, freezes and capped FPS which never drops below 60, should I use 4, 8, 16 or 32 GB ?

Ran page file.jpg

David Kolody likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Ari Antero You haven't said any actual names, so I'm not sure if you're including me in that. I'll just say that @Skan was the one suggesting specific amounts for VR (the subject of this thread), and the burden of proof should be on him to back it up.

Mind you, he's then talked about me saying 8GB is enough, which I didn't say anywhere. I'm pretty sure just now is the first time I've typed an 8 in this thread.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

No just relax you was not included :) You know there has been lot of discussion about PCIe performance, about 4th and 8th gen CPU`s having same single core performance with equal MHz etc and when you make test and post pick`s as proof there are always somebody who starts to make arguments against better knowledge and it pisses me off and makes me mad from time to time :(
    @Greg23 (OP)is fine with 16 gb (VR) but RAM is depending which hardware, VR, Triples etc. and game settings are used. 8 gb is ok if you are using single screen but I would use 16 gb. Pick in my post 17 is with res. 10320 x 1440. rFactor 2 RAM usage is 11533 MB, page file 19439 MB and rF2 is stuttering, freezes and FPS drops below 60 fps if I am using 16 gb of RAM, With 32 gb of RAM fps don`t never drop below 60 fps game is silky smooth.
    :)

20. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Are you referring to me?
    I have observed high page file usage in rfactor as well but this was simply due to it copying vram into page file from memory. Again I've ran rfactor on 16gb with no issues and the same with 32gb ram. The only time I've seen stutter over ram is running 8gb single channel. I can stay quite comfortable that 16gb is plenty for rfactor in VR. People who experience stuttering either are having a page file destroying the slow HDD or have a computer with multiple garbage software installed in the background. Unfortunately the lack of knowledge these days is high.

When it comes to windows 10. I believe maybe all the way back to 7. Windows uses whatever ram it think it needs of what is available. If you have 4gb it scale accordingly.