G29 possible or not?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by peterchen, May 31, 2018.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi there,

read much about problems with Logitech G29 in rF2 in this forum.
    Now a mate of mine wanted to buy a wheel in the near future.
    Definit question: Does the G29 now work with rF2 or not?

Thanks in advance,
    greets
    Pete

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Simple answer is yes it works, and is a decent budget/starter wheel.
    I have one and would recommend it for all current sims including Rfactor 2.

Slightly longer answer is there is a problem somewhere, and its not clear if its on the Logitech driver / LGS gaming software, or rFactor 2 side that is unable to auto detect/select the rotation per car.
    In effect, what this means is you have to load the game and check what rotation the car you are using has, and then alt tab out of the game and fire up the LGS and set the rotation in the driver to match. You can then tab back into rFactor 2 and drive without issues.

However, if you want to try out different cars, then you need to do this every time you switch so that you have the correct rotation.
    On screens, this isn't too much of a issue, but becomes a bloody pita with VR.
    Its not a deal breaker, but one of those really annoying things that grates after a while.

Its a known issue, has been on the bug tracker for ages, and hopefully one day will be sorted.
    There are many threads about it.

Lazza and peterchen like this.
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thank you very much for this detailed answer!
    Very helpful!

TheMattyOnline likes this.
  4. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I agree with the previous comment.
    I own a G29 and the FFB is superb.
    The tweak is to eliminate the rattling by increasing the smoothing and tweak the DOR each time you swap car from Logitech profile.

5. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

Is this the same for the G920? I have one of those, and I don't do this and I never realised I had a problem....(i play in VR so I only see onscreen wheel)

6. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

I don't know but I would imagine is the same hardware

7. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Yes it is (for me). I have the G920. rF2 does really well getting its FFB to this entry level wheel. Best FFB of the Sims I play. But I do have to change the rotation in the profiler first if I change car.

8. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Are you all saying that the in game steering rotation setting doesn't work? For example, for the USF2000, the ingame setting is something like 480 degrees.

9. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Yes exactly this.

So if you want 450 degrees, you will need to open the LGS and alter the degrees of rotation to suit that car.
    If you change to a car with different rotation then you will have to again alter it in the LGS.
    The G29 and the G920 are almost identical, just minor difference to buttons etc being aimed at PS4 and Xbox One respectively.

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

In the uk you can get the t300rs for only £50 more than that Logitech,I can assure you that will be the best £50 extra you’d ever spend,going from gear driven to belt drive is night and day

David Kolody and Emery like this.
  11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm with patchedupdemon, regardless of the steering rotation issues, getting rid of the rattling without filtering is well worth a few extra bucks/lbs. I was soooo happy when I swapped my G27 for a Thrustmaster TX! Going down the straight leading to Masta without the wheel feeling like it was coming apart is a joy. I'm not specifically recommending the TX (though I'm very happy with mine) or any other brand/model but I wouldn't recommend to your friend any Gxx model of gear driven wheels.

David Kolody and patchedupdemon like this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Just to confirm I’ve never owned a new g series wheel but I still own a Logitech dfgt,and I will never sell it because it’s a damn good backup wheel,but being gear driven it’s very rough compared to my t300 regardless of having lower power output.
    I’ve tried almost every direct drive wheels along with fanatecs offerings and for now,the cost of any of those wheels isn’t justified for the performance increase over my t300,to me the t300 is the price/performance sweetspot

Lazza and David Kolody like this.
  13. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

Is this a problem with just the on screen wheel not matching how much you turn your real wheel?

I was using AMGT3 and noticed that as I was turning my wheel into corners the onscreen wheel was going round almost 180 degrees.
    my actual steering input seemed to match what the car was doing though so I just had to ignore the onscreen wheel.

14. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Nevertheless it's a shame that turning problem is still not resolved :mad:

Hans Tesmo and Steve Olden like this.
  15. AlexNordic

AlexNordic Registered

I have a G29 and play without the steering wheel being visible, and to be honest I rather prefer it this way. Not 100% convinced about the FFB though but I prefer it from PCars or Assetto Corsa. It's just annoying that these things require fine tuning, you would image that nailing how common wheels work should be a must on any sim!

16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think the devs know how ffb on common wheels work because, umm how do I word this, the bloody ffb works. Of coarse the ffb needs to be fine tuned to suit different cars with their different tyre and suspension qualities.
    Would you prefer to have only one fixed non adjustable ffb so an Indycar that has no power steering feels the same as a Renault Clio?
    I will give you points for turning off the in-game steering wheel. ;)

17. AlexNordic

AlexNordic Registered

I mean that the same GT3 car feels completely different on 3 different sims. In PCars 1 the wheel is heavy, on rF2 very light but communicates quite well the grip, AC very wobbly and unpredictable. I'm sure that it could be fine tuned but as I've never drove a race car I don't really know which one is more accurate. Not that matters much but surprising nonetheless the different feeling.

18. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

I used to do this and thought no more about it. Now I play in VR and have to have the on screen wheel turned on (it's just wierd otherwise). Although now I cannot see my "real" wheel I can tell it's not matching up to the onscreen one and sometimes this looks/feels awkward.

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Haven't tried VR but I would imagine that without in-game wheel and arms it would feel very detached.
    I have triple screens with a 8020 cockpit. With my wheel basically lining up with the in-game wheel I don't want to see two wheels and 4 arms.
    I believe that if your wheel and the car's wheel are able to both be seen, turn the car's wheel off.

Concerning rotation of the two wheels matching , I have a OSW SimuCUBE and have to manually change it for different cars.
    At least we can make profiles for different degrees of rotation and can alt tab to quickly load a different profile if needed. Driving such a great wheel far outweighs the tiny task of manually loading a suitable profile.