Mental challenges of (sim)racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Comante, May 15, 2018.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I always thought that racing was a matter of reflexes, courage, and will. Then in the last few months I found myself more and more unable to use RF2. I'got frustrated after few minutes, unable to do more than just few laps. Try a race, even of just 20 laps was out of question, for sure I would have crashed. Then it happened that I'm in the process of changing job and my mental stress/depression levels dropped considerably, so yesterday even if it was a bit late I gave RF2 another chance to entertain me. It was a completely different experience! Between practice, qualy and race I've been on the track for almost 1 hour, very little mistakes compared to another day, much more consistent, much more focused.. and faster. I was in awe! In the race I've made some errors, some due to setting the race time a little late in the afternoon and at Mills, this mean that some turns were in the shadows now, and one had the sun glaring just where the apex should have been. In the end I even made the fastest lap of the race almost at the end of the session, then the joy overwhelmed me and I lost 5 positions at 1 lap before the chequered flag. This opened my eyes on all the things that should be just in the right place to be able to perform at the levels required by racing a sportcar, even if just on the simulator, reflexes, courage, techique, are just part of the equation.

JimmyT, Jason Mullin, Rastas and 7 others like this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Yup,I don’t race or even practice if I’m stressed,my concentration levels just aren’t where they need to be.

When I’m like that I just jump on and do some drifting

JimmyT and bwana like this.
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

You're right, Mechwarrior online is a good stress reliever (stomp stomp, pew pew! kaboom!) :D

JimmyT likes this.
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

That’s when you need to take a quite cruise in the country side . The panoz at nords on a sunny afternoon in autumn is good for the mind

JimmyT and whitmore like this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

Dang, I thought I was the only one who did that!

JimmyT and bwana like this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I only ever drive when it's a sunny afternoon!

JimmyT, bwana and Filip like this.
  7. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Not to forget the Cobra for a nice Sunday afternoon drive admiring the art work done with the cars interiors. Some light reflections on the chrome dash gauges is simply stunning. Some of these early cars are sadly overlooked for the amount of work that went into them.

bwana likes this.
  8. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree Wayne ! I do like the cob as it’s the closest dash to my little ride . Couple of Targa Tas stages and l probably would be happy with that for years . ‘99 turns of Queenstown ‘ now that’s a good outing !!

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

V8 Supercars at Queensland in the late afternoon is some of the most enjoyment I've ever had.

whitmore likes this.