Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. blagger

blagger Registered

Really? I just tried it again after a few month and it is still just as horrible. I get sick after a few minutes. So for me still no rF2 in VR unfortunately.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I just upgraded my CPU and thought id give rF2 a shot again , but still a no go for me in VR im afraid .
    Stutters and pauses still happen with certain car / track combos :(
    Even a 1080ti / 7700k @ 4.8GHz cant play here without pretty large compromises .
    The optimizations can't come quick enough because even my short crack with my new CPU showed me just how much i wish i could play rF2 (in VR) because it did feel pretty great but it's just too much trial and error or hit and miss with the content .
    I will be back though ( i still have more hours in rF2 than in all other Sims combined ;)

3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Odd, I’ve had zero problems with my Ryzen 5 1600 / 1080 since I bought it at Christmas. I only bother running with about a dozen AI when racing offline and I’ve turned the graphics options down a bit - while having SS at 1.8.

4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Hold fire for the optimisations.

I have a Ryzen 7 1700 with an RX480 and aways lock ASW on, so 37.5fps for my Dk2 or 45fps for a CV1.

It works really well for me at reasonably high settings.

Chris and Marcel have stated many times that VR will be revised, it is still essentially a first pass.
    I don't use lock to horizon as I find it odd, but I understand why people request it.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Never used lock to horizon myself either

I’m find as long as my view is fixed to the car ( as it would be in real life)

I turn off all the g-effects & cat body vibration effects etc

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You must have an interesting driving style.

CamiloNino and Ernie like this.
  7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Driving with a fixed head and glue in his eyes to keep the pupils at its place must be funny

Ernie likes this.
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I do use motion too though
    So maybe this is why

Not quite sure why my above post seems funny but maybe I don’t understand the problem of this due to using a motion setup

9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Driving without lock to horizon is like what i said in real life. Its like a fixed head with a gaze fixed straight forward without any adjustment into another direction.
    Every bump lets up the horizon and jumps down so that you can't see clearly because of all the shaking.
    In reality, the neck muscles dampen the movements and the eyes fixate the gaze on the horizon, so that a stable view can be captured. But this doesn't work in VR or on the monitor, so lock to horizon is extremely important.

blanes, Lewi6, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes I see

Think because my motion rig moves to those bumps it’s all natural for me

So I would not use lock to horizon

But I see the problem for those who are stationary & it must be annoying

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

So many issues with this !
    45fps for a Sim of this caliber ! The responsiveness is just not quick enough at 45 to do justice to the physics and the lag that comes with it makes it feel more like playing Forza .
    My PC is perfectly optimised and hits all its targets for its spec but not in rF2 :(
    Ryzen 5 or 7 has a single core score a lot slower than even my old 6600k and even the jump to my new 7700k @4.9 made little difference in rF2 .
    Task manager only shows 20 odd % CPU in rF2 .

12. skidsmcgee

skidsmcgee Registered

I initially needed lock to horizon in assetto corsa, but eventually I needed it less and less. Personally I feel it is more immersive without having it on, particularly when you are driving through elevation changes which obviously don't feel right when your rig is still directly in front of you.

At this point I could sit for 4 hours+ in RF2 with no ill effects whatsoever, but that is after nearly 2 years of VR time in simracing. It took at least 6 months before I was able to run AC without lock to horizon and I still occasionally had a queasy moment here or there when looking over my shoulder to rejoin the track or if I spun the car.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

How far away is this lock to horizon fix ? If at all .
    Please let it be high on the to do list !

Lewi6 and Ernie like this.
  14. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I suspect that you have another issue with your system if you still experience stutters and pauses. I am running an i5 OC'd to 4.2GHz with a Strix 980Ti, 16 GB RAM, W10 Home and Oculus Rift. Most settings are on high and I have no stutters etc and a constant 90FPS with 35-45% headroom. I always ensure that when I race, I turn off all apps and I only use the PC for rF2.

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have it somewhat figured out , i can max out all settings with AA x5 ,Steam SS 200% but PP Off and get a very nice 90 fps on most tracks IF i Atl+Tab after every mouse click ?????
    I have no idea why rF2 loses focus every time i click my mouse and no one at S397 has offered any advice as to why ONLY rF2 does this .

Now i have gotten used to Atl Tabbing every click, i have been enjoying rF2 immensely hence my interest in this LTH fix but would just as much like a fix for this loss of focus issue also .

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

What do you do after alt & tab ?

17. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I am still puzzled as to what you guys are experiencing re lock to horizon issues. I'm not the most technical person, especially around recording, but have just recorded this. Do you see something different than me [no critiques of my driving :)]

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Man your driving is ....lol just kidding :p
    Its hard to tell without having the Rift stuck to MY head and with all your own inputs that looks pretty nice (you use motion ?)
    What are you settings for head physics and any file adjustments so i can try your setup here and compare .

19. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Drive a bit offtrack and tell me what you see clearly. I can tell you nearly nothing. And thats the same problem with bumpy tracks or curbs. All you can see is a shaking world,

20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I just tried Formula ISI 2012 around Mills and the world is jumping like crazy no matter how i set rF2 . Mills is bumpy and FISI 2012 amplifies it .
    This can't be what Studio 397 have as a feature surley !
    This is more than a user request but a necessity if VR is to become the way to play in rF2 .

Last edited: May 15, 2018