SOLVED Steering not linear

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Arjan Schepers, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Arjan Schepers

Arjan Schepers Registered

Hi,

I recently dipped back into rF2 because of the VR support. I'm having major issues with steering linearity.

I have an AccuForce V2 steering system and am using SimCommander 4. I calibrated my wheel ingame and after some fiddling, I found a good setting for the FR3.5 (540 degrees rotation and such).

However, as soon as I exit the pits and speed up, the steering goes from linear (or very close to) to almost 1080 degrees (or so it feels). Taking high speed corners feels like driving an 18 wheeler, because I have to turn the wheel almost 900 degrees to make the turn while ingame the wheel only turns a few degrees.

I read up on this and it seemed like the Speed Sensitive Steering setting (which is 0.9 by default in my controller JSON file) was to blame. I set it to 0 but that did not help at all.

How do I get linear steering in this sim? As of now, it's undriveable.

Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Make sure Steering Help is set to Off.

Pocisk likes this.
  3. Arjan Schepers

Thanks Lazza, it was off.

Problem was the Speed Sensitive Steering options under Controls. I completely overlooked this, it was set to 91%. I set it to 0 and problem gone.

Thanks!

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

i was under the impression speed sensitivity was for controllers like game pads etc.

Do you have vehicle set enabled in the controls options.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think the Steering Rate is the one for digital controllers eg: keyboards buttons.
    The one below it Speed Sensitivity decreases steering lock at high speeds.

As others have said Arjan, tick Vehicle Set

Edit, Arjan, did you select the Accuforce controller preset?

6. Arjan Schepers

This is what I have now:
    [​IMG]

And yes, I did select the AccuForce preset. I found a thread on the SimX forums with someone having the same problems, they also said it needed to be set to 0.

My error was that I was editing the .JSON files directly because I overlooked the setting in the GUI. Editing the JSON file did nothing for me.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:confused:
    I'm going to assume when the screenshot was taken your steering wheel was centred and no pedals were pressed in.
    If that is correct, in the visual display (bottom left) click the "Center" button for the Steering.
    For all the three pedals, click "Min".
    Hopefully now you should have working wheel and pedals and no colour displayed with steering centred and pedals not pushed.

My tip for the pedals. Put a small deadzone at each end of the pedal travel.
    Simply push a pedal in a very small amount and push the Min button and then push the pedal in all the way and then back a small amount and push Max. In my picture you get an idea of how much deadzone I use.

pedals.JPG

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

another thing I've stressed for users coming from iRacing. the slider in the middle is fully linear. In iRacing you'd move your slider all they way to one side. ISI based sims like rF2 use a different methodology. Moving the slider to the left slows the initial reaction to the wheel's movement. Moving it to the right increases the response as you first turn the wheel.

9. Kevin Brookes

Kevin Brookes Registered

What is the advantage to put in some deadline at beginning and end of pedal travel? And do you do this with all three pedals?
    Thank you

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

For the clutch you can kind of simulate the grab point. I put a little deadzone at the start of my brake pedal because I rest my foot on it and it drags a bit without it. But it's all personal preference.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've seen people who drive like you... sometimes I can smell their brakes too :p

12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Only in the sim! :D