Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well if you're running Oculus Home as Admin to stop it starting up maybe there's an issue with that somewhere *if* that is the problem, only thinking aloud, maybe UAC stuff or something. I've never had to Alt+Tab for VR, always run in either HMD+Mirrored or HMD Only with Windowed selected in the Settings.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

I've been asking my mates and some of them can run rF2 without running Oculus Home but others can't.
    A few weeks ago all of them (with W10) could launch rF2 without Oculus Home.
    It seems that something has changed

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys, does Vive have anything as annoying and invasive as Oculus Home? Is there some app that starts without you needing it and tries to make you buy stuff? Or is it just SteamVR? Also, are there errors in windows event log on every startup coming from Vive? Is there a service constantly running and showing up in task manager even when HMD is not in use?

Those software problems seriously make me wonder about switching.

4. elcoco

elcoco Registered

I"m a Vive user and i have uninstalled all vive software since september 2017
    I juste need steam open
    So i launch RF2 , i hit the single player and the steamvr start( the vive too,in a same time )

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I understand that Oculus crap is always running but does it impact anything or is it just because we have something running that doesnt need to be ?
    I was starting a non VR game last night and Oculus store opened with that game !
    Why ?and does that really matter?

6. lagg

lagg Registered

Some people says that it has a negative impact on performance.
    I can't check it because it seems that it's impossible to close using W8.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As mentioned a few pages back it eats up a fair bit of RAM, so if you only have 8gig like me it's worth keeping off as I found, can't say it overly impacted performance though.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I don't know if its common knowledge or not but i saw in a SRP YouTube (TY) vid that if we change a line in the Player Controller jsn file for Threading we should get better FPS !
    Why is this something that is only some random on YT tells us and not S397 ?
    I wish i could find a YT vid were someone could help fix my stutter that only Alt+Tab fixes !

9. lagg

lagg Registered

Which one, this?
    "Use thread":false,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with
    some drivers"
    Does it work?

10. stonec

stonec Registered

It works but it's only of use if you have a wheel which returns FFB commands slowly. On Logitech or Thrustmaster I never noticed any practical difference with that setting.

11. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Hi guys,

I need some help with optimizing my settings for VR and it looks like the pics on page 1 of this thread are gone now.

i7-7700k (5Ghz) and 1080GTX
    No supersampling
    Everything on medium/low (special effects off, shadow blur off)
    Aggressive threading off (didn't see a difference)

Using enduracers mode of MidOhio 2.2 and C7R i'm getting a constant hop between 45fps and 90fps. Is this normal performance or should i be expecting a lot more?

Are there any particular settings that consume more resources than others?

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah that's the one , changing false to true apparently. I haven't got my wheel set up atm but will try on the weekend .
    @stonec does a CSWv2 do FFB slowly ?
    Its 500hz i think .

lagg likes this.
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im not sure but with my 1080ti if I Alt +Tab after every mouse click i get a solid 90fps with every setting maxed out AAx4 ,PP Off and SS default Steam number (18xx x 21xx something like this) . During qualifying and practice 90fps but race start drops to 45 until the field spreads .
    I use 19 Ai . If i used less i reckon I could get a solid 90 all the time .
    Ive been testing mods and stock content and lots seem to work well .
    Loving Enduracers P2 with a mixed field at 2017 Le Man's atm .

14. stonec

stonec Registered

You can probably add some degree of supersampling and crank up most graphic settings without losing much FPS. The bottleneck with rF2 in VR is typically the CPU, not GPU, resolution/supersampling is mainly about GPU. Especially VLM tracks like Mid Ohio and Sebring are badly optimized, i.e. they use a lot more CPU than S397 tracks. The most CPU consuming settings are shadows and reflections. But without going into detail, you should probably first compare performance on a recent S397 track like NOLA and see if it's the modded track that is the problem.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

I think it's more about the response rate of the driver+hardware than output rate. 500 Hz is nothing if you compare it with a CPU that runs at 3 GHz, so the driver has to work a lot quicker than that.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Having lots of fun in rF2 VR atm .
    I cant wait for the new UI so that I can read the Ai opponent list when selecting who I'm racing against as it's near impossible to read in VR and id love an option to move the HUD ,like the tyre temp / driver names and positions on the lower right of view .
    Does the new HUD only have the white parts around the mirror and the rev counter or is there other options for it ?

Adrianstealth likes this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Does everyone else using VR get rF2 doing this when using HMD only ?
    Almost enough to give an epileptic fit !

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Never , sometimes it just shows black box or rf2 logo box either way I’m pretty sure the vr is same

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

It does this constantly on my PC and i have a really annoying issue where i need to Alt Tab to get a smooth game . Maybe this is something to do with that !
    I wonder if @Marcel Offermans could comment on this ?

20. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I have these settings recorded from that page:
    Code:
          "# Set graphic options for VR as recommended in": "",
          "# https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rfactor2-the-vr-thread-settings-tips.55249/": "",
          "edits": {
            "Graphic Options": {
              "Car Vibration Mult1": 0,
              "Car Vibration Mult2": 0,
              "Car Vibration Mult1#": "Primary engine vibration multiplier affects position of cameras attached directly to the car",
              "Cockpit Vibration Mult1": 0,
              "Cockpit Vibration Mult2": 0,
              "Cockpit Vibration Mult1#": "Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)",
              "Environment Reflections": 1,
              "Environment Reflections#": "Off\/Low\/HIgh = live cubic mapping is used (if track and car are setup properly)",
              "Exaggerate Yaw": 0,
              "Exaggerate Yaw#": "Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve \"feel\")",
              "Garage Detail": 0.01,
              "Garage Detail#": "LOD multiplier when vehicle is in garage (0.01-1.00)",
              "Head Physics": 0,
              "Head Physics#": "Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)",
              "Look Roll Angle": 0,
              "Look Roll Angle#": "Angle to lean head (roll) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
              "Look Up/Down Angle": 0,
              "Look Up/Down Angle#": "Angle to look up\/down (pitch) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
              "Max Headlights": 20,
              "Max Headlights#": "Max headlights visible relative to your car.",
              "Opponent Detail": 2,
              "Opponent Detail#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full",
              "Player Detail": 1,
              "Player Detail#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full"

"# Set graphic options for VR for my GTX 1080 / Ryzen 5 1600": "",
            "Graphic Options": {
              "Road Reflections": 2,
              "Road Reflections#": "Off\/Low\/High = reflected objects are generated for wet road and heat mirage",
              "Shadow Blur": 0,
              "Shadow Blur#": "0=Off, 1=Fast, 2=Optimal, 3=Quality",
              "Shadows": 1,
              "Shadows#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full",
              "Soft Particles": 1,
              "Soft Particles#": "0=Off, 1=Cheap soft edges, 2=Depth buffered soft edges",
              "Special FX": 2,
              "Special FX#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full",
              "Texture Detail": 1,
              "Texture Detail#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full",
              "Texture Filter": 4,
              "Texture Filter#": "Texture Filtering level: 0 = bilinear, 1 = trilinear, 2 = X2 AF, 3 = X4 AF, 4 = X8 AF, 5 = X16 AF",
              "Track Detail": 1,
              "Track Detail#": "0=Low 1=Medium 2=High 3=Full",
              "Rearview_Back_Clip": 0,
              "Rearview_Back_Clip#": "Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)"

I get a steady 90 FPS but I only usually have a dozen AI.

That's a snippet from one of the data files I wrote for https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/scripted-json-file-editor.58905/

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    philmcqueen and MaD_King like this.