Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1110 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

3D Studio Max 2010, 2011 and 2012 have been abandoned by Autodesk for quite some time now. Within Studio 397 we currently use 2012 so for the short term we decided to upgrade the exporter plugins for that version and add 64 bit support as that was becoming necessary to build bigger and better looking models. Not spending more money to also maintain 2010 and 2011 exporters at this point was a short term business decision.

The situation with gJED is somewhat similar. It was released very early in its development, and is far from finished (or stable). On top of that, after discussions with our art team, we decided that this is not the workflow we want to support or promote going forward, so it was better to be clear to the community that we won't be finishing gJED either.

So does that mean we will stop supporting modders altogether? Not at all. We are working on new tooling, but (beyond this simple statement) we are not ready to share the details about that just yet. My advice to modders now is to keep working with the tools you've used all along (whatever works for you) until we release a better solution.

gagipro, Dookie, gabrielof and 11 others like this.
  2. filippu

filippu Registered

So you're telling us that, for example if I have to adjust hundreds of my textures to a new brightness (that your team changes twice a year), it's a better workflow to have to load the viewer (well over 30 seconds each time) and move to that point of the track every time I change a texture, instead of hitting the refresh button on gJed ? Really ? No wonder why we have a track a year.

gJed wasn't stable. But if you exported from 3dsmax, it was damn good enough as a viewer to adjust the textures, or material settings.

I said earlier that S397 doesn't care about modders, and there's another proof of it.

ECAR_Tracks and yoss like this.
  3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You are making a lot of assumptions and claims that are not true.

First of all, S397 never changed any rules around texture brightness. Ever since the DX9 engine in rFactor 2 started rendering in HDR (which is a very long time ago) we have consistently communicated that artists need to use albedo mapping for their textures. Our DX11 engine did nothing but improve the way they were rendered (especially emissive colors). So your statement that we change them "twice a year" is simply false.

Your other assumptions, on how we intend to support modders going forward, are based on your own thoughts, and your statement that we don't care about modders is nothing more than your own opinion and there is no "proof" in my statements to back you up. Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

gagipro, Dookie, gabrielof and 12 others like this.
  4. KittX

KittX Registered

If you're having "hundreds" of textures on a track, you're doing something wrong btw. Unless it's Monaco/Long Beach etc.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Would it be to hard to implement a reload track/car textures option within dev mode as it is in the spinner view?

If it would reload full materials without having to exit the game it would help a lot for visual adjustments.

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

VEC intends to make their Le Mans public but they don't want to release a half arsed version of it.

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i played mils metro park today with clio in rain in the afternoon......
    RF 2 graphics are very attractive ....
    i dont miss pcars 2 at all

8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

The performance improvements from this new build are just incredible.
    Changed post processing effects from None to Low (what a difference did that make), bumped the display details to Full and have a smooth running game even with the GT3's.
    It has improved my experience 100%, and with the upcoming official content, new URD stuff, Mast3rmini, etc...it will get only better.

Thanks to all the good people who have been updating and releasing new content in DX11 over the past few months.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don’t use post processing I noticed it makes night lights flicker

Looking forward to next build ally now after this one was so good

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I haven't tested PPE at night since I just changed it yesterday, but at least during day time it made a great difference visually to me. Before, the game was playable but it didn't look right, now I'm really happy with it.
    I think the higher PPE effects, the less flickering, but not sure if my hardware will be able to handle it....Need to test that as well.

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi.

Can you take the time to give :

- Your exact harware
    - Your exact settings when you use rain (driver control panel, AA/PP etc, ingame setting, mirrors/AI visible/number of AI etc)

The performance/quality ratio I get, especially in the rain or/and at sunrise, is catastrophic (GTX 780 / i5 2500K / PCIe X16 2.0 / SSD / 16GB RAM 1333Mhz).

In order to change the hardware, I am curious to know what hardware allows to obtain quality graphics (PC2) with really acceptable performance in the rain (about 50 minimum FPS should be acceptable).

Thank you.

mesfigas likes this.
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Thought only the physics and realism mattered to you and you didn't care for graphics!

I'm joking, of course.

Filip likes this.
  13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

hi there
    Cpu Ryzen 5 1600
    Gpu XFX RX 580 4 giga
    Memory 8 Giga DDR4 @2666 corsair
    Mobo Asus B350 prime plus
    Psu corsair 750 watt M
    Hdd WD 1 terra blue

My settings before i enter the game ar
    5 AA
    Ultra PP
    resolution 1980x1080
    thats all i dont have vsyng enable

Ingame settings
    everything max except shadows that are on high
    anisotroping X8
    Rain setting high or medium
    rest on Full and ultra
    AI 24 or 16 (depends)
    Ai visible 12 (havent tried more yet)
    my monitor run 75 hz freesyng and also the Ati control panel is enable freesyng

NOW my fps
    always depends what track car combination i play and if i play with rain or without
    i have 40 fps with all these settings in Nola with GT3 pack DLC with rain
    EVERYTHING IS SMOOTH
    if i disable rain i go to100 fps
    if i start lowering AI from 24 to 16 and lower some PP and AA settings by one degree lower i got from 100 to 150 fps
    i super enjoy RF 2 after optimization and i suggest my computer specs to everyone :)

DrivingFast likes this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

ultra PP is waste of fps anyway, S397 themselves said high and ultra are settings to make screen shots or video.

AMillward likes this.
  15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

gonna switch to medium

16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I deleted my player.json file, so I need to optimise my rig for the new build. Might try turning a couple of settings up but it all depends on the car/track combo

17. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that ATI users enjoyed the performances boost more than Nvidia ones. What do you think?
    I have a r9-280-x toxic, and got a good improvement, I raised details and still increased FPS (I capped them via .json at 89 fps) no vsinc.

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Older Nvidia cars like Kepler cards has huge performance boost.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I had a significant boost in flat screen on my nVidia GTX 970.

20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Graphics are clearly secondary for me yes.

But the graphics that I have at home are ugly :

Just imagine that apart from the AA, the textures, the details of the circuit, and the cockpit ABSOLUTELY ALL IS DISABLED, REALLY EVERYTHING.
    And with that Ihave frequently 22-38 FPS in rain (the same in the early morning).

I forbid the "Time scale", the hours outside of 10 am and 16 pm, the maximum visible AI to 6, the mirrors on OFF, I avoid the rain, etc etc.
    I have done many AA tests, and from level 5 to level 3 there are no FPS differences. In level 2 the gain of FPS is relatively low, but at 65 cm of a screen of 52 ", it is really too ugly.
    At this distance of the screen, it is hardly if I have the impression to play a simulation on playstation 2...............

But my message for @mesfigas was mainly about PERFORMANCE, or if you prefer the ratio quality/performance.

And I confirm dear Adrian, the two main things that interest me in RF2 are :
    - The global realism (so not only physics)
    - The performance

If the VIDEO GAMES ASPECTS interested me, I would have gone to the concurence (they are only BONUS).

Nevertheless, I am actually dissatisfied to have almost playstation 2 graphics with an old PC OK (gtx 780) but which makes turn of other simulations in high/ultra (AC almost in ultra and smooth).
    I do not necessarily ask so much RF2, but actually the account is not there.

As the performance update did not have the effects I hoped for my PC, I will have make a big hardware purchase.