cars fall trought racesurface

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by qusimano, May 5, 2018.

1. qusimano

qusimano Registered

After i attached all the race surfaces i have in my track in a single racesurface.gmt, some part of the track became not collidable. the material is displayed but the car fall off.
    i have something like 25 different material in a single racesurface.gmt, can this be the problem?
    the not working materials are named like OASP_3_WET OASP_4_WET OASP_5 ecc. this was working until i attached all the parts in 3ds and exported as fbx, then imported in 3dsimed and saved as gmt.
    i do this beacause after i tried the packaged track in single player one piece of track doesnt get wet, so i thought that 1 single racesurface was a better idea, but now i have this problem...
    I also tried to create the string for this material2 in the tdf file with no luck
    after i noticed this i also attached the curbs on the racesurface and they work, i have 2 different materials for the curbs and they work, so im not sure it's a material thing...

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Just to start somewhere.
    In your SCN File, are all gmt, that are racesurface, tagged with CollTarget=True HATTarget=True?

3. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Yes
    }
    Instance=RaceSurfaces
    {
    MeshFile=RaceSurfaces.gmt Deformable=True CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe the problem are the materialnames, that all start with OASP_.
    If you have spread these materials into different tdf file sections, for example OASP_3 as gras, OASP_4 as garage road, OASP_5 as what ever, you could get a conflict, because they all use the same prefix OASP_.
    Rename the materials that they have a unique name when they appear in another tdf file section.
    Maybe that helps.

5. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Tried to change some of the material name with others the i have in tdf but i was not using: Same result.
    What i dont understand it's why the material name was collidable before attaching all the racesurface
    another thing is that now some of the material feel different when i let the ai drive( more bumpier ), like if when the piece was detached, the tdf dont work

6. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I have that problem in a track that im converting,solution:split the road mesh in 3 sections,RaceSurface_1,RaceSurface_2 etc :)

qusimano likes this.
  7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It needs collide and hat, if you are going through it, that would be the first thing to look at. You say you have it already, so are your faces backwards? If your car just slides around, that means you have no material with the name you picked in the tdf.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

A last try from my side, without having the track, it's just shooting into the darkness.
    Rename the racesurface gmt to racesurface_all.gmt and name the instance racesurface_all.
    rfactor is very sensitive with names, so maybe it works with that.
    If you want serious help, upload the track and send me the link.

9. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Thx to all guys for the input
    they seem to not be flipped, if i flip the poligon of the uncollidable parts, it get dark and wrong, in fact i never flippes nothing,
    tried to rename the gmt and scn instance racesurface_all but same result,
    tried changing name to material with the same of the working parts and nothing, the car continue to fall
    Looking at Quebec it is a single racesurface, even the curbs are included, then if you look at Mores it has many piece and single curbs

10. Coutie

Do you fall through when you spawn? If so, you're garage point is under the track.

qusimano likes this.
  11. qusimano

qusimano Registered

one thing i cant understand about tdf:
    i have an oasp material commented in the tdf, ok, i assign oasp_WET to the road and it work. But if i need the same material on a different surface, but with a different texture and different mapping, is right to name this material oasp_2_WET? i have some of this material working and some other not, thats the thing i cant understand in first placeo_O
    PS: they all work as long as all pieces are single racesurface

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  12. qusimano

qusimano Registered

yes and no! the first time i noticed the problem was when i attached also that piece of mesh where the pit spot sits, so i reset the pit spot to 0,0,0, but when i drive the car there, the car continue to fall, then i realized that alsoother parts of the track previuosly attached has the same problem, but they are piece of old tarmac from the old track, so you do not drive over this part so often

13. Coutie

So you have some object that you can drive on?

14. qusimano

qusimano Registered

15. Coutie

Maybe try resetting xform and centre pivot point. There's no reason you should fall through if it's there.

16. qusimano

qusimano Registered

i tried to reset the center pivot from 3d simed, reset x form it's something i have to do from 3ds?
    One strange thing that i noticed now: when i go from the external camera( the one wich you can control with numpad, is it called swingman?) the camera start to rotate until the car is displayed with wheels in the air:D:D:D:D:D:D:D maybe it get really flipped? like kimi say: BUAHHH

17. Coutie

Sounds like you might not be on the ground, or half way inside of it. Yes, the reseting needs to be done in 3ds max.

18. qusimano

qusimano Registered

I want to update you guys on what i have discovered, also with the help of Bernd(thanks again)
    The problem seems to be related to the number of materials a gmt file can contains. Looking at portugal, i can see the track splitted in something like 9 racesurface.gmt, each with no more than 5 materials.
    So i have done some experiment, with the limit of 5 material. Luckily all the main road has a total number of 5 materials, so i tried to make a single gmt of the road, while all other racersuface elements (curbs, patch of old asphalt near the track) are single object.
    With this i dont have any problem regarding the cars that falls. All racesurfaces it's solid i can drive on it, BUT, the realrooad shader it's working only on the first racesurface mesh (the main course), while all other racesurfaces dont get reflection, dont get wet, etc.
    Note that i spotted this "bug" only when i had the track packaged and installed in single player, all it's working well in devmode!
    I tried also to package the track with all the racesurface gmt detached (I obviously adjust the scn accordingly) and again all work well in devmode, but when i install the rfcmp in single player, some curbs does not get wet and dont get dirt, while some other with the same material work good.

19. qusimano

qusimano Registered

The latest patch solve the problem :eek::rolleyes: