[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Hi Whitmore,
    A techie question, which anti virus are you using ?

2. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Windows defender

3. Oumdaz Melo

Oumdaz Melo Registered

what is the difference between tire temp and rubber temp ? my english is not perfect sry

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Oumdaz Melo Tyre temp is at the very surface of the tyre. It's the part you can touch with your hand. It will heat up quickly when you slide or spin up the tyres, and cool down quickly when you drive at speed.

Rubber temp is below the surface. If you took a needle and jabbed it into the tyre the tip of the needle might end up where the 'rubber temp' is measured.

The lower/deeper rubber isn't touching the track or the air directly, so the temperature there moves around less. When the surface temperature is hotter it will begin to get hotter as well, and when the surface temperature is colder it will begin to lose temperature. So it's more a measure of tyre temperature over time (up to a few laps) rather than what's only just happened.

Rubber temp may be the better setup tuning tool in a traditional sense, and it better represents what teams have used historically (tyre temperature probes pushed into the tyre after the car returns to the garage). The depth of the 'temperature sensors' is determined by the tyre in rF2, so can vary from mod to mod.

5. cbunsold

cbunsold Registered

Lazza
    Just wanted to say thank you for the great plugin. Your plugin is just a great way to make RF2 that much more fun to play.

Steve

6. Oumdaz Melo

Oumdaz Melo Registered

Thank you !!

7. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

I have a question about suspension position: how do I know if the car is sitting on a packer?
    And a request, too: would it be possible to save every log inside car -> track folder, instead of only car folder?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

could someone point me in the right direction to create four ride height channels pls,i did learn how to do this a few years ago for iracing,but my brain has forgot how to

9. TJones

TJones Registered

In rF2 it should be very much straight forward, because the suspension values in the setup menu, are all measured at the tyre and not the damper.
    So assuming you have ride height at 20mm and packers at 6mm, there's 14mm travel left. All static at the box of course. Don't know if tyre compression is also taken into account here. Also be aware that packers, just like in reality have their own spring/damper values in rF2. It might also be possible, if a mod is not properly done and the values of normal springs and packers are to similar, it's difficult to recognize something at Motec.

d0nd33 likes this.
  10. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

Really? I thought it was linked to suspension position.

11. TJones

TJones Registered

Im not sure what "suspension position" show's exactly if it's the position of spring/damper unit, going through all the suspension kinematics, or simply the tyre position (vertically). But i think it's the latter.
    Also be aware that positive direction is compression, quiet the opposite of rideheight.
    I also find it difficult to see influence of packers in suspension pos value. Normally you dont want sit much on the packers anyway. :)
    You may do a test with high packer value and one with low packers and compare the laps.

d0nd33 likes this.
  12. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

Looking at the graphs in MoTeC, suspension position looks like distance from position 0 of the spring (lifted car without wheels touching ground) because it's always positive and becomes bigger with more force.
    So I'd guess that the higher values of suspension position (mostly reached on kerbs but not only then) should correspond to packer "zone".

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    TJones likes this.
  13. Oumdaz Melo

Oumdaz Melo Registered

Hello, I have a problem with setting up the toe, I have -,300° of toe on the front but on motec it is -0.11 (of course the car is static position)

can you help me ?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon Ride height channels aren't logged by default, you can enable the channel group that contains them. Sorry, don't have details right now, you should find the answer either in an earlier post or check the channel group info I linked to in the first post, that will tell you which group to enable in the DAMPlugin.ini.

@Oumdaz Melo The toe is shown in Radians by default, but likely that's not the main issue there. The toe at any given time is obviously dependent on setup, steering wheel position, and suspension movement, so you might want to check those. If your setup is symmetrical you can probably start by checking that left and right toe are similar in magnitude, or your steering wheel position :)

@d0nd33 Sorry, I missed that question earlie, but I never got the hang of how rFactor does suspension positions and all that. The other issue is that cars have a defined amount of travel to the bump stops at 0 ride height (however you interpret that) so telemetry (and setup) alone won't tell you. I never found a good solution for that, I was planning to get some/all setup values into i2Pro in one way or another with the hope of simplifying that sort of thing but with other vehicle parameters affecting things I don't know if it would have worked out anyway.

15. Oumdaz Melo

Oumdaz Melo Registered

following what you said the steering wheel is correctly aligned and I changed the toe into degrees on motec. but when i check the value of toe when Iam inside the garage (static) i d'ont have the same values

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Oumdaz Melo Which car are you in? I can't test this right now as I'm between PCs, but it could potentially be mod related. It's definitely normal that the setup values don't translate exactly into the telemetry values, but yours appear to be off by large amount so not sure what's going on there.

17. gaguilar

gaguilar Registered

Hi @Lazza - can you elaborate a little bit about if and how GPS/location data is provided by RFactor and you use to draw the actual driven line?

Related - is the data provided by RFactor already broken up into or tagged with laps and lap times?

We're looking to compare simulator data and corresponding similar vehicle, real world data but struggling because we don't see any 'GPS data' in the RFactor generated .id files.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@gaguilar There's no actual GPS data, despite tracks generally specifying the GPS coordinates for their own 0,0 the game doesn't provide that information to plugins, so all I've done is picked a neutral location and then used the current reported offset from 0,0 to generate GPS coordinates. So that means you can compare laps driven on a particular track and logged with this plugin, but it won't relate to any real life data. (and technically the exact shape of the drawn GPS data won't quite be right, since the earth isn't a perfect sphere, but again for comparison on race tracks which aren't huge it will suffice)

The game doesn't really announce laps and splits, or divide the data into chunks, it's up to plugins (or data analysers) to check for changes to the relevant data and provide some indication in the output.

Off the top of my head the .idx files will have some basic data in them once the log has been opened in i2Pro (laptimes) but the rest is buried in the log file. Depending on exactly what you're doing it may help to have a simpler plugin that generates text files with the info you need.

19. gaguilar

gaguilar Registered

Got it, super useful. We have a cloud based motorsport data analysis software and service - www.trackattack.io.

We essentially take in data from all major data logging systems, normalize them and cloud store them, so in the end, they are all comparable for overlaying graphs and track maps across drivers and systems.

We are working with a team that is trying to overlay their simulator data from RFactor, through MoTec and your plugin, with their real world data.

Most of our functionality hinges on being able to identify the data points that correspond with the start/finish line we have in our data base for tracks - of which is start/finish GPS coordinates.

My take away is that we'd have to use the existing channel data and the offset from 0,0 data you have to approximate when the driver/car crossed our start finish point from the real world data.

Do you make the offset from 0,0 values available as a channel? Any other ideas? Happy to chat offline too.

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I think I'm getting some screen freezing issues from the plugin. Has anyone else got this?