SC in multiplayer races (again)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by rigodon, Mar 16, 2018.

1. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Yes, I know I'm an optimist, so I'm testing SC with open pits in F1 multiplayer races. Today we had a test in which the leader entered pits on 2nd SC lap. After exiting pits, he got a Stop & Go. Checking the race log, it says: "received Stop/Go penalty, 10s, 0laps for "Illegally Passed Before Pit Entrance"."

Having a look at the replay, he doesn't pass anyone before entering pits. It looks like another SC bug. Any experiences with that? Do you think this could be avoided with " PassingBeforeLineRoad = 3" in the RFM? Maybe creating a plugin to control it, similar to StockCarRules.dll?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure he didn't pass someone? It doesn't just throw out random penalties.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

As Coutie said be sure he didnt pass anyone, some pit lanes will make a bit difficult to check this
    Passing before the line is for race starts/restarts, when the green flag waves.

A solution I found when I was a league admin (for these stupid penalties and also bugs) was to make laps to serve penalty a huge amount like 200 laps, so if someone get one he can continue the race (just put "No" on the penalty in pit menu when doing a pit stop) and then we edit the final result to put him back in the place he finished, but if the penalty was deserved the driver had to serve it otherwise letting the game add it to the end result is a lot harsher (and result would not changed as the penalty was fair) so it depends on the driver's mind for that, usually if they feel guilty they'll serve it

*Dont know if you can edit results in case you use Live Racers league stuff, if you dont use it just put the guy back in the correct position he finished the race, you can edit results in a super easy way with rF2 Log Analyzer ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  4. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Thanks for your answers. This is a replay video of the test. The car getting the penalty is #77. He's not passing anyone. The only thing I can think he's doing wrong is maybe driving too slow, because he needs half a lap to catch the SC and then sometimes it's a bit far from it. Could it be a "Driving Too Slow" penalty not properly reported?

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You dont get a stop and go for driving too slow AFAIK. This is probably a bug that is also present in AMS where the game gives random stop and go to people for no reason. Wont happen in every race, it's very rare but happens (especially at aborted starts/restarts). Do like I said put laps to serve penalty to 200 and let drivers know what to do if they get a bug penalty, but warn them to serve the penalties if they got a fair one as the final result wont be changed then.
    The SC is leaving the pit lane too early anyway, if driving too slow gave him the penalty this is probably the reason for it

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    rigodon likes this.
  6. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Do you know if that can be adjusted? When the SC leaves the pits?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I gave up trying to predict or avoid these sorts of penalties, so implemented a server-side plugin that reversed any such penalties for league races. Basically any penalty that wasn't speeding in the pitlane that happened during or immediately after a SC period (often get whole-lap penalties for the game deciding people are out of order at the restart, because it gets confused) I'd automatically reverse. Obviously you can do that when you trust the drivers not to take advantage - or, you hit them with post-race penalties if they do :D

Unfortunately the whole thing gets printed on everyone's message center (so and so got a penalty, live steward removed penalty, blah blah) every time, because server-side plugins don't get an opportunity to vet such events. I think I wishlisted that a year or something ago.

Here's hoping the whole thing gets improved soon.

@rigodon If you have DrivingTooSlowPenalty = 0 in the rfm people won't get actual penalties for driving too slow.

rigodon likes this.
  8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe by this line in the aiw file?
    SafetyCarReleaseDist=
    It is explained as follows, but english is not my native language, so i could be wrong.
    Enabled variable-distanced safety car trigger locations to enable smooth safety laps on unconventionally shaped tracks.

rigodon likes this.
  9. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Is that plugin that complex to create? I'm asking because I know Java, but I learnt C++ at University and never used it again. Is there at least some code example of capturing penalties and deciding if you keep them or not?

10. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Thanks for the tip, but does anyone knows what's the meaning of those 2 numbers? I can't find any documentation about it (Good old ISI style...:p)

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The way to test it, would be to put a large number in and see if something ridiculous happens. Then reduce the number by half and test again. repeat til you reach a fairly small number. I would assume the distance is in meters. So if you want the safety car to deploy 100 meters in front of you try 100 or 1000 for that extraordinarily large number.

12. Coutie

13. rigodon

rigodon Registered

14. Coutie

rigodon likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes and no. The way plugins have to work around the game logic and deal with various functions being called in certain order can be a bit of a pain, and the end result isn't pretty because you can't suppress the messages. I'd honestly be hoping for game improvements in the near future to make this sort of thing redundant, it's a better option.

Your last sentence, for example, isn't possible. I wish it was.

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Making use of this thread I'll call @Marcel Offermans with a suggestion:
    Can you please make a server option to turn off stop and go penalties under yellow completely (only keep pit lane speeding penalties) while making the game write them in the log so league admins can check if people are abusing it?
    While you are at it would be usefull to keep track of the orders a server is giving to drivers about who they should follow

Wanderpoole and rigodon like this.
  17. Wanderpoole

Wanderpoole Registered

this is a great thread that just died? is there anymore followup to all this anywhere?

Juergen-BY likes this.
  18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nobody who can tell us, what the numbers are meaning?

19. redapg

redapg Registered

I only know this "Explanation":
    Enabled variable-distanced safety car trigger locations to enable smooth safety laps on unconventionally shaped tracks

But don't ask me what that exactly means and how the Numbers have to be used. :D

Juergen-BY likes this.