Set Up a car to be Challenging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Mar 12, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi guys.

What interests me in RF2 is the global realism. Regarding cars, it is about the quality of the physics (criterion normally factual) and the aspect "CHALLENGING" of the cars.

There are a large number of cars that I consider realistic (I do not use others), but they are not "Challenging" in my opinion (understand too easy, and therefore not interesting enough to drive).

I have never been interested in the "SET UP" aspect.

Can you tell me precisely which elements of the setup modify to make the car more "challenging" ?

At the moment, I use the intermediate tires or rain, I over-inflate the tires a little, I also lower the aerodynamic supports, I increase the braking pressure and some other things.

Your advice is really welcome !!! Thank you.

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Do you consider the new gt3 cars to be realistic?
    With those, keeping up a good amount of slip angle as going through corners, feels nicely challenging to me at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Louis

Louis Registered

Since i have no idea how to set up a car, my settings looking for realism are made on ffb multiplier (stronger value possible without loosing sensibility of what is going on with tires/road), fov and camera shaking
    I hate being at 250km/h and braking 1988 f1 car with ffb giving almost nothing and everything stable (graphics). Not feeling tires sliding on turns or bumps of the road, kills immersion to me

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

- FOV ok: 50° at 70 cm / 132 cm-52" screen
    - head physics : 100 % agree. Mine are at 150% (only aero, not engine).
    - FFB multi : ok. to feel the road the ffb min torque is very important.

5. Louis

Louis Registered

Unless you are using 1988 f1. Aero has a silly effect and head physics at 100% will make you look to your pedals when heavy braking and look to the sky when accelerating
    To me, above 15% of headphysics at eau rouge with 1988 mod, is too much

edit: you mean head vibration (aero/engine)
    if 1988 mod headphysics could be showed in replays like happen in cockpitview, you will think the driver is looking or a cell phone on the floor in heavy breakings

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I simply suggest you setup your car to try having an equal rate of wear of tires for front and rear axles (vital for endurance races), you'll see that cars become far more touchy this way (mainly reducing under steer bias).

How to do it?

Search for David O' Reilly setup guide on this forum for clues, or whatever guide for setting up RF2 cars.

Cheers.

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Have you tried getting under two minutes around Silverstone in a GT3?!! ...I think the cars are plenty challenging when you are right on/close to the limit.

But... if you want to make a car harder to drive, IMO try to make it more edgy and over-steery. I'm no expert, but lower the diff coast (eg 10% diff coast) to get more oversteer on corner entry, and stiffen rear springs/shocks, soften front springs/shocks. Basically more grip at the front and less at the rear, making the car want to rotate more.

Really though, unless you are already super quick, I would focus on getting on pace/close to pace first. That is where the real challenge comes into it imo. Check out worlds fastest gamer hot laps on Youtube.

emha76 likes this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm not sure I understand the issue, every car, with every setup should be challenging when pushed to the limit, otherwise it would not be called "limit". Artificially inflating the difficulty does not equate to being faster around the track.

Daniele Vidimari and McKiernan like this.
  9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Looking for a balanced wear of tires is not in my books "Artificially inflating the difficulty".

Cheers.

P.S.
    If you want a challenging car, avoid cars with significant aero down force meant to be driven with traction control and ABS on smooth like a mirror tracks. Why not have fun with a Spark F1 or a BT20 at Toban or historic Spa?
    Challenging.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    David Kolody likes this.
  10. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

if you find a car too easy it's not going fast enough !!

lagg likes this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To be clear I do not speak of realism. All the mods that I selected, I consider them as realistic.

I am very surprised that you consider that, at the limit, there are no cars MORE difficult than another (I prefer to use the word "challenging" because it depends directly on the level of the driver).

For me, many cars seem easy to drive, and some are more or less challenging.

Example:

F3.5 Renault 2014 (with low aerodynamic package)
    VS
    All GT (gt1 / gte / gt4 / gt3 / gt500 / gt300 / dtm etc etc ... supercars / sports cars ... and a whole bunch of Others are, from MY point of view, probably according to my level, easy to control while doing at the same time fast laptimes.

This implies few errors, very rare accidents, a confidence in driving that allows to push back the limits without having to invest a lot.

Acchanting that for cars that I find too "easy", no help obviously (ABS / TC off), the hardest tires (in some cases the rain tires), aerodynamic support reduced (at least for GT) etc.

In short the F3.5 with the low aerodynamic package is still significantly more difficult than many other cars.

Other different example

The skipbarber, a car that has very good physics, is really very easy to drive (very small circuit or nordschleife.) Even with the skipbarber regionale which ad e less good tires.
    I changed the gearbox and the engine (I can adjust it in different ways, but I chose 170% torque/power):

The car is like miraculously very interesting to drive, even on the nordschleife!
    Same for many cars that I modified. Unfortunately I can not edit encrypted cars.

But this subject is indeed about set up!

Thank you for your answers.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would suggest to make it very oversteering by lowering rear wing and increasing negative convergence in front wheels.

13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

You are on another level to me if you think the skippy is easy lol.

14. lagg

lagg Registered

A challenging car could be the DallaraDW12 2014 with the oval upgrade in a road circuit.

15. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Once you understand how it behaves IMO is the best/funniest/most rewarding car in all the sims. I can drive it for hours, every lap learning something new, every lap is faster than the previous.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

I agree, but "really very easy to drive"...

17. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

It isn't indeed, it's easier if you drive alone because you have all the space/time to react, it's harder in race, when you have to take care of the opponets, brake later, take different lines, it's more easy to do a mistake in race.
    I'm sure it can be more easy with a vr headset, with the proper sense of speed.

A very challenging cars, at least for me, are the CART and the McLaren M4B (h shifter & manual clutch).
    Oh, and don't forget the AC 427SC (Cobra)!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    lagg and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I have noted all your suggestions of set up. I will test.

Thank you.

AC cobra is a good example that's true.

19. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

I suggest you remove the abs the stability and traction control !!
    the skipy slides in all directions is not controllable limit it's icefactor2!!
    or alots you have not passed the 2nd gear :D

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Knock a wheel off.