paid mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kolysion, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Woooooooow, that looks insane man. I love the graphics :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Getting back to pay mods, I wonder if Studio-397 could hire some extra help and put out more top quality mods like the GT3's, maybe some laser scanned tracks after a while? I noticed the GT3's really had everyone talking in all the forums I was in. That would give them some extra cash flow, unless the time far out weighs the return money?
    Did they make any money on the GT3's?
    I hope they did!

3. Louis

Louis Registered

i would guess that track mods (laser scanned) would bring more money than vehicles mods. Community is small and not focused on specific vehicle series (despite i do believe gt3 has more appeal to the average simracer, laser scanned circuits can please almost everyone). Imagine Nordscheileife as DLC. Even who didn't play much there in the available nord for rf2 (also laser scanned, but illegal) would buy

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

Not me, sorry. There are a lot of different types of simracers.
    I know a lot of them who don't like these type of tracks.

5. Louis

Louis Registered

i dont like much also. Hardly play there but i would buy for support the platform. That track is classic. I think it is a "must have" on any sim

vegaguy5555 and qusimano like this.
  6. McNolo

McNolo Registered

I don't understand this "fever" by the laserscanned tracks. A good track is a good track. Would not you pay for Toban, for example, or Bahrain (when it's full updated)? There are "freehand" and not real tracks that have very good quality, even if they are not totally accurate. I would pay for a good job, even if it is not millimetrically accurate.

I'm making a track from scratch myself. I have spent time looking for elevation data, but I have not been able to find it, so it is "freehand", but I think it will be a good track anyway (when I have time to finish it :rolleyes:) and I'm sure many people will like it.

The issue is there may be tracks created from a laser scan that are not well made and others freehand made that are very good. The laser scanning is a very good basis to make it more similar to reality, but does not imply that it is a good track, it's more an advertising claim.

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Until some time ago, it was all by show of hands and nobody complained, good job
    McNolo +1

bwana and McNolo like this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Agree, RaceRoom tracks are amazing and only the Nords is laser scanned.
    To me if licensing costs too much I'd love to see S397 pushing for a 3PA program to get all the tracks used by the main series around the world, wouldnt care if it is laser scanned or not as long as they are well done and have same performance

McNolo likes this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

- The only way to have a really realistic track = Scan Laser.
    - A fictitious track or real track non Scan Laser but well done can be : immersive, interesting to drive, challenging, providing thrills, and allow a relatively high global realism but still far reality (especially the road surface).
    - People who are not passionate about the circuit and/or will never ride it in real life will appreciate this type of circuit if they are well done.
    - The Scan Laser is the only way to get an ultra realistic track (we use the most realistic simulation of the market, so that makes sense.). There are other methods of quality, but none reach "this level of ultra-high realism" (after, everyone has his requirement of realism).
    - Scan Laser datas must be well exploited of course.

CONCLUSION :

1. You are passionate about a circuit and drive in real life/The circuit is an emblematic circuit and/or is ultra challenging-ultra interesting to drive. = Laser scanning is really essential (or ultra desirable).

2. The circuit is ultra challenging/ultra interesting to drive and/or circuit emblematic = Laser Scan desirable for the most realistic simulation of the market, but not a priority for the user concerned, which is understandable.

3.Circuit not emblematic + not ultra challenging/not ultra interesting OR simracer not at all interested = in this case, the interest of the Laser Scan for this specific user would be low. On the other hand if the circuit is interesting for any reason, reason justified, and that not only 10% of the users of RF2/future interested customers, it is perhaps necessary to consider planned this circuit in Laser Scan.

It's just my vision, everyone thinks what he wants.

Louis likes this.
  10. Louis

Louis Registered

Also, fever for laser scanned tracks are not new.
    Unless is fictional or old layout, nothing can beat a good modder with this kind of data in his hands.
    Btw, I would never trade a track made by Mcnolo or Woochoo for any laser scanned oval track

bwana and McNolo like this.
  11. lagg

lagg Registered

I understand that people want laser scanned tracks, because they want realism. And i understand the point of view of McNolo, because the fact that you have real data doesn't mean that the result is good. In an ideal world people with talent and a big capacity work (as McNolo) would have real data to make artwork, but we have the data that we have.
    One funny thing that i think about the laser scanned tracks is that if the track is re-asphalted, the laser scanned track is no longer accurate. And is like a hand made track. In this case, the track loses it's value?

12. Louis

Louis Registered

Better once completely accurate than never

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

People like realism they say, but why is it that a lot of guys that shout out loudest for that; drive t-cam view and have a driving line on, a little track in the corner to see what corner comes next and so on?

Maybe a bit more “pure” driving first and then “better” tracks?
    All this kind of “real drivers”, saying they so good, they feel if the surface is off; try sitting IN the cockpit for a change first.

Daniele Vidimari and juanchioooo like this.
  14. Louis

Louis Registered

I drive using track side cameras. Just like i watch f1 on tv

bwana, The Iron Wolf and David Kolody like this.
  15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Indeed; you never make fun of me.

16. Louis

Louis Registered

ahahahah i knew it
    you take things too seriously. Still like you, although

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For that reason I think laser scanning - though not ruling out other methods - is most valuable in terms of layout, camber, undulations. The finer surface details (which people seem worried about losing in rF2 with a shared graphical-physical surface) can change even one year to the next due to weather extremes, and are less useful anyway. Whether that 'noise' on top of the noticeable and identifiable bumps is real or just random makes very little difference to anyone, I think (some people think it does, but I doubt even real race teams care that much about it).

But this is where people arguing for laser scanning because some non-LS track they've tried has the layout wrong, are missing the point. Excuse the pun. Still, laser scanning should ensure pretty good accuracy on this front, so it's not a bad thing by any stretch.

lagg likes this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Much freaky and then they drive sitting on the hood of the car:):):):);):D:D:D:D:D;);):)

19. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

i don't see the need for laser scan unless you have a motion rig or butt kicker etc and even then.A good track with GPS can get camber, elevation change fine. You got tracks in AC that are laser scanned an then what? the sim doesn't run at a high enough physics rate for it to even matter?yet alone having a decent suspension model. This whole laser scan is blown out of proportion, as stated above a good quality track done right is all that is needed to get immersion right.. race room tracks are great. look at GP4 from 2001, those tracks were fantastic for the time and still are (bar graphic quality)

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Steering help on
    Braking help on
    Autoshift on
    Tyre wear off
    Driving with keyboard
    “But I need the realism of a laser scanned track!!”

vegaguy5555, pkelly and juanchioooo like this.