Latest Roadmap Update - February 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

6 month late? I've seen games never get out of alpha even after YEARS of taking money from people just to be hyped on private forums.

bwana likes this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Which deadline are you referring to,pls do tell incase I missed it.

How long you been waiting for ntmv7

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

In your local community you should know Roadmaps are not Deadlines.

misi, Travis, Nitrometh and 16 others like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yeah funny s397 nor us consumers have given one deadline for them to miss.
    hhmmm i smell BS..

bwana likes this.
  5. filippu

filippu Registered

When you announce in September 2016 a new UI is coming, when you announce in July that you are "putting the final touches" to the UI, in August it's "pretty close to a first public beta release", and then in March there's nothing, you are telling us that no deadline has been missed ?
    Surely no date has been given publicly, but internally, you must have something, right ? 1 year and a half for a HTML UI. I smell BS too.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Exactly. Deadlines have not been explicit except for Dx11 and GT pack which they missed by a month approximately. As you say the UI seemed imminent many months ago and we still don't have a release date. Marcel explained the delay but didn't provide an estimate release so I guess we will have to wait a few months more.

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

you two clearly don't know the meaning of a "deadline"
    deadline
    ˈdɛdlʌɪn/
    noun
    noun: deadline; plural noun: deadlines
    1. 1.
      the latest time or date by which something should be completed.
      "the deadline for submissions is Friday 5th February"
      synonyms: time limit, limit, finishing date, finishing time, target date, target time, cut-off point
      "they stipulated a deadline for the army's withdrawal"

I suggest you change your tone, as its not helping anyone here really especially the hard working devs, ok?

John, Rui Santos and patchedupdemon like this.
  8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I do know what a deadline is and i also know that rF2 is months behind schedule.
    Dont be such a smart ....

9. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Our intentions with providing a monthly roadmap was to give you some insight into the things we were working on and our current planning thoughts. They were not meant to be a collection of deadlines or commitments that were set in stone. They should definitely not be taken as such. Sometimes our priorities change. I've explained some of those examples in an earlier response to @SPASKIS .

Dookie, pkelly, DaveS78 and 16 others like this.
  10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Roadmaps are indeed very much appreciated. However I have to partially disagree with what you wrote. It was not us who established an estimated release date for DX11+ UI. When DX11 was released it was confirmed that the UI wouldn't make the same release date as expected.

I perfectly understand that it is not easy to determine how much time something will take so some delay is expectable for some things. Especially when you don't have a previous reference of a similar prior job. It is for sure easier to estimate how much will a car/track take to develope than a competition system.

However the UI for existing features should be quite straight forward to provide an estimate. I would understand that the competition icon in a new UI would appear greyed.

For that reason while I agree that the main objective of roadmap was not to establish absolute deadlines, it appeared to be an initial goal to provide an approximate release date prediction: Q1, Q2... I would expect by now this information regarding both UI and hopefully competition system. Will we have new UI before end of Q2?

I will not judge if the the priority change aspect is a good or bad decision since that's clearly your decision as the responsible for the project and it is you and not me who has to report to Luminis.

I can only say as a fellow customer of your product and as a project manager who also has customers within my organization that IMO you should focus on completing deliverables instead on opening new fronts without closing previous ones. Especially when so much hype has been created around an upcoming feature. Revenue comes faster when you address issues in order rather than when you attend all of them at the same time.

Finally, I would like to admit that it is clear that I am always very critic and exigent with ISI before and S397 now. However, IMO the pleasant attitude of many, clapping about everything without providing any inconformity to delays, lack of release prevision... does not represent at all the way of thinking of your potential market out there who is not actually relying on rF2, which is, by far IMO, the most complete and realistic racing platform.

And many thanks for replying to my previous post. I do appreciate the interest shown and the explanations provided. Have a good evening Marcel.

Atsuki, Davvid, Guimengo and 3 others like this.
  11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I want it all,I want it all,and I want it now,
    ten when they tell us that something has cropped up that is delaying all the above,people still piss and moan.

It’s attitudes like this that will eventually lead to the transparency of development being withheld from the member base

I’d rather have bad news than no news at all

Pedro Delgado2 and Korva7 like this.
  12. Comante

Comante Registered

What happened to patience ? How it is possible for people to not be able to wait for some months for a new feature to be implemented? Even considering how often people ask for something and 5 minutes after having obtained it, instead of enjoying it for the time to come, they start to beg for something else. Even if in a roadmap they say that they plan to release a feature sometime in the future, the fact that after few months, they talk of that very same feature, and explain that it will take longer, should be more than enough to understand and have patience, instead each time it look like a trial to intentions.

Fremen78, pkelly, DaveS78 and 5 others like this.
  13. Louis

Louis Registered

14. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I'd like to ask if is proper gearbox modelling and sparks when car is bottoming is under the radar for next priorities.

Kelju_K and Guimengo like this.
  15. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

May 2017-February2018. 9 month. NO UI, NO PLUGIN etc... DX11 ok.

SPASKIS likes this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

O
    Do you think pointing out the obvious that S397 will say heck yes this guy said he wants something now so they dump it out there as is ? Then have to put up with complaints about releasing unfinished product ? Damned if they do damned if they don’t , soooo while you wait, enjoy what you have , tons of stuff out there

17. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not just the HTML part. Anyone can write code in HTML these days, the challenge is to get it connected with the main game that runs a completely different engine. ISI back many years ago worked quite long on some new UI tech and then decided to cancel the project, probably because of the aforementioned issue.

18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Instead of focusing on what they didn't give us, in just over a year, I'd rather focus on what they were able to achieve and what progress they are making.

I'm sure I'm like many here that rF2 was taking up space on my hard drive, but was hardly used. It looked old and dated for graphics, and most of the cars looked old and not up to 'modern standards' of modeling either. A whole bunch of free cars, but aside from the FR 3.5, I wasn't that motivated to drive any of them. I'd not done an online race in many years either.

Fast forward one year, and we've got a DX11 graphics engine with much improved lighting, and VR as well. If that were not enough, we've had a GT3 pack with five really top-notch graphical model cars, and good physics/tires as well. A joy to drive them, and I have. We've had a couple of competitions (WFG) and an FE release, admittedly at early days. They also finished off the GT500 and USF2000, both of which are also good cars. And they've given us a good start on a better rain implementation. So I'm now regularly jumping in an using the title. The only remaining step, is to get back racing online again. I've had a flutter with PC2 and pretty much parked that again, like I did with PC1.

From where I was, I'd say its a major success. I'm back in the fold, and looking forward to what comes next, and I see rapid progress especially on quality content. Laser scanned tracks are coming! More to do? Absolutely.

I'll also say this. Simracing is an important hobby in my life. I've spent a lot of money on equipment and software, to make it feel as much as I can like 'real' racing, which is something that as a younger man I'd never got a chance to do, and being an old git now, will never happen. But there is no end to what can be done, and its improved so much over the 10-20 years I've done it. I contributed as an 'investor' to PC1 because I wanted to watch what it would take to develop a completely new title from the ground up. Basically iRacing has also been a 10 year investment as well, to help them refine their technology and get high quality online racing. It hasn't always panned out like we all hoped; iRacing have pissed me off a bit by taking my 'investment' and not putting it to the direction I wanted them to take (two years of dirt, almost no road content/tire model improvements). But what you want to see, are developers who are energized to create what we want, have a passion to build and the necessary talent to achieve it. I see that from S397. They aren't mailing it in for effort, nor sitting back on a cash cow and milking it. It's been a year, where iRacing have had 10 and SMS about 5, and they've never run a game development company before. They are learning as they go, and getting smarter about stuff every day, but there are inevitably going to be setbacks and dead-ends and things that didn't pan out. Lots of it has, though. The roadmap is a guide. Ideas develop and change (Crew Chief being a great example).

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Think the new UI was going to be released but the it was decided to develope it much deeper

Eg more features & better for user

Win - Win I’d rather wait

Rfactor2 was going pretty much no where for quite a while until studio 397 started working on it
    Everyone should be very very happy

RaceNut, F1 2004, mesfigas and 5 others like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Slighty off-topic - and not picking on you Adrian, you're just the latest example - I've recently been seeing a lot of "win-win" when it's really just a "win" if not a "lose-win". Above 'more features' and 'better for user' are really the same thing; it's not two separate things that would constitute a win-win situation.

It's taking longer: Lose. It'll be better: Win. So Lose-Win. Maybe Lose-Win-Win at a push, but I think that's taking things to extremes for the sake of getting a win-win in there.

Pointless? Yes... :D

Emery and SPASKIS like this.