Crash on Credits exit menu

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tonymq, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

Well, my new installation, crashes when I choose exit from the ( Kartsim pro) race menu and get to the RF2 credits menu and choose exit, the sim freezes. I cannot even access Windows task manager- I have to reboot. I'm running latest version of steam and RF2, windows 10, Logitech G920 wheel and pedals.

I have reinstalled Steam and of course RF2 but same problem happens again. Any insight or help will be much appreciated.

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I have no idea, you probably won't get much help seeing as the last time you asked the very same question and someone answered you called them a twat and the topic got locked...here's a tip...same behaviour in this thread will end up with same result.

3. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

And what a well deserved response that person got. When that person answered, they answered with sarcasm, lack of thought and unhelpfulness. What they did was to troll just as you have just done. If you have nothing to offer, then don't post.

I have checked the installation again, shut down firewall and still RF2 crashes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Point of interest, do you have a link where one can buy KSP from S397 as I haven't been able to find one?

5. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

As far as I am aware, KSP cannot be bought like a retail product- you need to enrol into Super One championship

Goanna likes this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Maybe you should ask there if it only happens when using their content.

7. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

The credits menu is RF2. The issue is not the content. The issue is with RF2/ Studio-397 credits menu. Apparently is is a known issue for the latest RF2 and Windows virtual memory

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Then why do you mention content? Have you checked with official content to discard content as culprit? In the past crashes when exiting rF2 were related to weird names being used for components.
    It is not a known issue since it doesn't happen to everybody.

9. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

It has nothing to to with content. It is known by studio-397. It is a virtual memory issue with the most recent release and has been fixed by adjusting virtual memory to 2500 ( min and max) as advised by Studio-397.

Problem fixed. This thread is ready for locking

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Tonymq what were your virtual memory settings before?

11. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

just under 2GB

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

The standard virtual memory size to set is actually 1.5 times your amount of RAM.

13. Tonymq

Tonymq Registered

The problem raised by this thread has been fixed. Mods, can you please lock the thread?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no 'standard'. Best option these days is let windows manage it; if you need an extra 20GB for a program, windows will do it. (those with less RAM need more virtual memory to run the same app - makes no sense to multiply by physical ram)

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Well, if you look in windows how much your physical ram is when " Automatically paging file size...." is used it is about 1,5 times. One other thing is that you might be wrong "makes no sense to multiply by physical ram" becourse if you are using high in-game settings you can easy use more then 20GB if system has PCIe 2.0 in rFactor 2.
    Pic below is rFactor 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 medium in-game settings and 16 GB of ram
    Paging file.jpg

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Ari Antero If a game/app needs to use 20GB ram at a particular moment, what matters is that your physical + virtual memory at least matches that requirement. If you have 16GB physical ram you'll only need 4 virtual, while if you have 4 physical you'll need 16 virtual.

Many many years ago a 'rule' floating around was that you should set your virtual memory to 4x your physical (bear in mind I'm talking about when 512 or 256MB ram was normal). The misconception is that more physical ram requires more virtual ram - it's actually the opposite. If you have 64GB useable physical RAM you should be able to totally disable virtual memory and perform common tasks with no problem at all.

That's all I'm referring to. I'm not saying rF2 doesn't have high memory requirements.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@Lazza Yes you are right about RAM/Virtual memory.
    Pic from post #15 has 11533 MB from usable 14900 MB physical memory usage and 19439 MB virtual memory usage which is not a problem in rF2 if automatic Windows memory settings are used. However I have also tested rF2 with same PC, 8 GB of ram, same in-game settings and rF2 didn`t work with automatic Windows memory settings becourse the size of the page file. Virtual memory usage is obliviously depending which game settings are used. I used med/high settings in my test and rF2 was running smooth at 60 hz/fps when 8GB of ram and 2,5x physical memory size was used.
    I believe that size of physical ram and virtual memory size is the problem to some who are experiencing freezes and performance issues in rF2 especially if PCIe 2.0 is used and high bus usage it has.

92% bus load o_O
    Load bus.jpg
    :rolleyes:

Tonymq likes this.