F1 Mods?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by WarPigsC4, Feb 5, 2018.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The field is much closer today than it is now. 20 years ago 3 secs off pole would have been mid -back of the grid at a chassis track. Now you'd be well at the back. Cars don't get lapped four times a race now.

Louis and rubennaatje like this.
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Thatswhy I said that there was much more to the racing than it is today. Eventhough the field is closer today, the racing itself is very predictable. Thatswhy you had Jordan winning races, Stewards or Bennetons being regulars for podium fights or even wins and people like Schumacher succeeding in underwhelming cars. Competition moved alot quicker than it does today and teams who were successful in one year, could be at the end of the pack one or two years later. How often does it happen today, that people who win are not driving the best car or atleast fighting for the lead throughout the race? Fuel strategy played a big part and the tire war served the rest. You will never ever see something as great as Budapest 98' or Magny Course '04 as today it's basicly lets start on softs, pick the little harder tire later on just because we have to and have a few predictable overtakes due to drs. The most exciting part of the race today is the first two laps when people can't rely on gimmicks but their machinery. Does it matter if a car gets lapped 4 times or 1 time when the outcome of the first 3 places are set in stone right from the start basicly? It is the reason why Indycar or MotoGP are alot more exciting for me nowadays. There are alot more people fighting upfront.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The only factor making those shock results was attrition. Monaco 96 only three cars finished, Spa 98 and so on. In the late 90s early 2000s you knew it was going to be either the two McLarens or the two Ferraris on the podium or winning a race and the only thing adding spice was if one of their engines exploded. Today, if Hamilton or Vettels' cars break its a shocker. Then, it was another day.

Problem is, take away DRS and we have precessional races again. Keep it and it's 'fake overtaking'. F1 is broken, but I don't see how 'it was better back then' is true when it mostly the same.

Brack Jabham and Louis like this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The fake overtaking part can be solved with rules especialy with clever aerodynamic designs as seen in Indycar for the upcomming season that are fair for everyone and it is important to note that good racing doesn't equal lots of overtakes but quality driving, atleast for me. For me the quality of an overtake is more important and just shows good racecraft and skill instead of one guy just haveing an advantage due to technical regulations. It is the same nonesnese like penalty weights or stuff like that. Races weren't more precessional as they are today, atleast not from my impression. F1 allways had good and bad races, if it was in the 50's or today, but the quality of racing was certainly at a different level. I can watch a race of two guys fighting for every inch but not overtaking each other for over an hour and it still can be alot more entertaining and actually better racing.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

This is the trap a lot of people complaining on the Facebook pages have fallen in to. They've seen Indy/Nascar drivers being nose to tail and having 6 million overtakes a race and think F1 needs that to be 'good'. Sochi last year was great, even though Vettel never got past Bottas. Then they see two higlight reels from the 80s and think every race back then was a classic.

But if you make the aero fair or force parity on stuff then it's no longer F1, it just becomes a spec series.

6. Louis

Louis Registered

Seasons i would like to see: 1985 (because of Lotus), 1991 (Mclaren i got part of the grid from ASR, downloaded from steam but they are very high res)1993 (because of Willians), 2004 (because Ferrari) and 1998 (because that gorgeous Mclaren)
    Here ASR: www.asrformula.com/rFactor2_free.html

edit: tried to download now but most of links are opening an html with a lot of characters, But sure you will find easy on other sites. Try internationalsimracing

edit2: Here, got ferrari 1990,1995 and 1996

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Marius Nicolae likes this.
  7. Tompa

Tompa Registered

Any server that runs any of these mods/time-period?

rob1178 likes this.
  8. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

At simracingmania we run a historic f1 series every year. We have done 92 and 76 and we are just seeing what our next one will be. We just finished a group c league as well. We also made our own car based on fairly modern chassis but we strapped a huge v12 to the back for our super12 series which was cool and retro-ish

9. Porsche962C

Porsche962C Registered

Hello, is the 1976 f1 version for RF1 or Rf2? is Rf2, where is it available from? Thanks

10. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Rf2 was on steam last I saw

11. Porsche962C

Porsche962C Registered

Ah, 1975. I have the same one.

rob1178 likes this.
  12. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Ah yea my bad 75.

13. Porsche962C

Porsche962C Registered

You had my hopes up! lol! Looks like that version on this forum isn't going to be released anytime soon.... :(

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This vid has been block by F1 ! ****!

15. WarPigsC4

WarPigsC4 Registered

I feel like F1 cars should be like they were 2000-2005. Loud and driven like they was on ice.

F1Aussie likes this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They had traction control

17. WarPigsC4

WarPigsC4 Registered

I was never bothered that the cars had traction control they looked amazing on track.

F1Aussie likes this.
  18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

TC is set as low as you dare go, because then you're fastest as possible... Hence why Trulli drops it, causing the SC - for those who made it, seeing the clip.

19. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Use Google Chrome to access the site and the cars will download fine.

20. Louis

Louis Registered

thanks, i'm microsoft edge regular user but always forget to do this test (but i should since this isnt rare to occur)