New UI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoldenBear, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No Marcel, please, don't rush things just because we're desperate for the new UI, take your time, for sure your initial plans were right!

2. Louis

Louis Registered

Please, merciful master, don´t rush things just because some are waiting for championship mode since 2012. S397 takeover in 2016 and we already have dx11, working wipers and paid dlc. What else could give us more this 2018 feeling?
    Forgive us. This will not happen again

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Let me just wade through this lake of sarcasm...

@Marcel Offermans I think you could get away with saying what you just said, in the roadmap. Of course people will still complain about delays, but at least it's addressed.

lagg, ADSTA and Goanna like this.
  4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Fallout New Vegas has an MMO version in fan development ;)

I race against AI because I'm a crap driver, I can restart if I need to and I just don't have the time to do league racing online. It is a great way to unwind but I hope to make friends in this community and race online in the future. But for now, time is an issue.

And mostly because I'm crap...

All that said, I'd rather have something delayed becuase it's not ready (Resident Evil VII's DLC being an example) rather than have an unfinished product put out filled with bugs that causes EVERYONE not just a few some issues.

pkelly and SlowMike like this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

All of this but on my part even if I wasn't a crap driver (which I am) I just don't have the time for a league. I can not guarantee participation in a competition on a regular basis. I play when I have time and feel like it and most appropriate would be pick-up races but as I read there aren't many of them, or?

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  6. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I'm a 100% offline player in rF2, just never bothered looking for pickup races. I have done some pickup stuff in AC which was ok but as mentioned by others I can't dedicate the time to Leagues, I'm likely not very good (though I concede that can and is most likely to improve with other players) and certainly can't pin down specific times.

So with the UI if there is an improvement that increases pick up racing options and players then that is great and I may well give it a try but I don't see it holding my attention.

For me, at the end of the day, I still prefer playing in my own 'Space Time Continuum'. So I look for good AI and Offline content like Custom Championship. AI is there and If I'm reading the tea leaves right I think CC is coming. You're nearly there S397 ;):)

7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

We live and learn! :)

bluet and SPASKIS like this.
  8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Wise words

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Is it wrong I had forgot the new UI was a thing? XD

10. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

If I'm not mistaken (if I'm not mistaken), absolutely NOONE has really complained ..................

Damn it, I think it takes call back.

There was just a lack of information, legitimate information (sorry, but it is frequent).

Nobody asks for specific details, just to know ABOUT WHEN the UI will come out.

No complaint, just a legitimate question that we would never have had to ask, if we had 1 single sentence/information in the roadmap :

"if all goes well, the UI will be realized within 2 months / 3 months / 4 months / we have experienced blocking problems and delays are not known."

The over-reactions, like allways, give the forum a bad atmosphere.
    Hard to believe sometimes that we are the oldest simracers community.

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

When it's ready...

Just like CDPR 5 years ago posted a trailer for CP2077, at the end of the video there was this message that said:
    [​IMG]
    Same here with the UI. Better not to say anything than say and then get smacked for not delivering.

MarcG likes this.
  12. Pocisk

Pocisk Registered

Oh, so that's why they mentioned of new IU so often in roadmaps and puts a lot's of screens.
    Now i know.

13. filippu

filippu Registered

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sadly, and according to Marcel's post, its release does not seem imminent. Next roadmap will provide information. Let's hope that information relates to release estimate.

15. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, that was a straightforward answer. Sometimes, its just not possible to give an accurate estimate of when something will be done - I mean, you can plan and estimate but when something goes over the level of complexity expected or you need to redesign it, then a replan has to take place. It's not like there is anything business critical of a drop-dead date that we know of for this development, and so therefore, everything quoted will be a speculative 'hope for the best' date. If they've come across some technical issues that need to come up with a new design, or worse some partner to come up with a solution for, then there's no way they can reliably quote a date. Keep on asking "are we there yet" doesn't get you there any faster. I know people don't like "soon" and completely open-ended dates, but S397 aren't running this in the same way as iRacing is with clearly scheduled quarterly updates coordinated with season race schedules. They've already told us that some of the work on the 'baseline UI' (car setups etc.) has had a lot done to it, but they weren't going to release it until the competition infrastructure is also ready and that they were a fair way off completing that, and it had gone through a rethink.

@Marcel Offermans, I do have a couple of UI-related questions that maybe you could address in the next roadmap (or answer here). Mainly it is around what the new structure of the app will be. Right now we have the Launcher - a non-game UI (more standard Windows UI, if you prefer) that is primarily responsible for integration to Steam with the online userid (steam id), workshop/DLC and content installation, and application settings for graphics. The Launcher then runs the main game app, from where you run a session (select car, track), [future state, create offline championships or career modes], watch replays etc. and when in a driving session modify car setups and spectate live action and drive. Is there still planned to be the two apps, or will this all get merged into one? The iRacing beta UI kind of still has two "modes", one where outside a race session where they use the HTML modes, and then within which includes setups, HUDs and black boxes etc. which does not. Is that what we'll also have?

16. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Thank you for your answer Marcel. :)

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If this was an R&D project I would buy your argument. However, we are talking about a UI. I understand that there is part linked to the new competition system which probably needs a higher level coding. However, redesigning an existing and operative UI maintaining the good things of actual UI and applying changes to the not so good aspects shouldn't be so uncertain. It should also be noted that the longest it takes for something to be released, the greater the hype and expectations. I can imagine what would happen if what we get delivered doesn't meet people's expectations...
    5e4f5be9fa64ea2efe0826897049757b.jpg
    I think it would be very important to avoid such situation to provide more detailed information of what we can expect. It would adjust expectations and moderate the hype.

Showing some pictures of screens with some explanations about its options would be helpful as an advance work of the user manual and would help receiving feedback for the proposed functionalities.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  18. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

I just came back to rF2 after 4! years of a break and also wondered why the UI is still so 2012 :D

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

4 years break from rf2 can wreck your soul from absence
    welcome back mate
    ui and laser scan Nurbur-Nords plus enviroment imrovments plus online mode are comming soon

Kevin Karas, Rui Santos and Alex72 like this.
  20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Because UI is a creationist and was created in 2012, doesn't believe in that evolution fairytale. ;)

Kevin Karas and Filip like this.