1) Update ALL official cars (ISI+S397) with latest physics (CPM..) 2) Focus on Performance please...

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by dadaboomda, Jan 16, 2018.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello @S397.

1) I've been wondering since the release of the GT3, FE, and now the radical SR3 and the Civic if you really planned to integrate the latest physics S397 / ISI technologies into all (or almost) official cars (ISI and S397), more than 50 cars ? Can we have an answer to this please ?

Indeed, even though I think the DLC car content is really essential, I find it would be a huge mistake not to update the existing car content. Really a big mistake.

I personally did not have any information about it. If I missed something, sorry.

2) Then, it is really urgent to optimize the overall performance (CPU-lags and GPU-fps, not only fps) of the graphics engine, to have for the majority of hardware configurations, a quality / performance ratio really acceptable, which is not the case now (AI, rain and wet roads, hours when the sun is low, lots of clouds, shadows, mirrors, and AI / player headlights and rearlights : these are essential elements to optimize, and the optimization of PCIe please ...).

Thank you.

torig, Korva7, ECAR_Tracks and 2 others like this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

its not like they don't know this already..

AMillward and Prodigy like this.
  3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I can certainly answer these questions, @dadaboomda ...

First your question about cars. Let me split that question into two parts, the cars that are currently still under ISI in the workshop and those under S397.
    In the ISI workshop we have:
    • The Boxmaster, which was a Christmas surprise which we intend to leave there as is.
    • Gasoline Alley, which was a 3PA project that was brought to rFactor 2 by Gilles and Bill. We will leave it to them to either release an updated version or not.
    • The Kodi, which was a straight port from rFactor 1. We have no intention to upgrade this fantasy car any further.
    • The Formula Renault 3.5 2010 edition, which has been replaced by the 2014 edition (see below).
    • The Mercedes SLS pacecar, which cannot be driven by humans (use our Mercedes AMG SLS GT3 car instead).
    • The Formula RC, which was a proof of concept to show that the physics engine could also handle really small cars. We'll leave that as is.
    • The Skip Barber, which we might update further. I am not sure though as they filed for bankruptcy in May last year and in December the racing school was acquired by DeMonte Motorsports which means we might have to relicense the car if we want to update it.
    • Then there are two cars that were more or less 3PA projects converted from rFactor 1, the Corvette C6 and NSX '91 street cars. Our focus going forward is predominantly on race cars, not as much street cars. Plus both cars by now have been replaced by newer versions. Therefore we won't update these anymore.
    In the S397 workshop we have a larger collection of cars, all of which have received multiple updates already in the past year. They have all at least been converted to DX11, as well as adapted to work with our latest rain effects. A lot of them have also received shader upgrades and some physics improvements. I'm not promising that we will upgrade each and every one of these in every aspect, but these are all cars we will try to update as we evolve the simulation. There can be several reasons we won't or can't update some of them and I can't always disclose those reasons.

Finally, your last question about performance. We are aware that some people are struggling to find good settings for the overall performance of rFactor 2 with DX11. Based on our experience it runs well for most people but we are definitely prioritizing some research into the possible causes of these performance issues. We hope to have some news about this soon.

Turbo, Neawoulf, pkelly and 23 others like this.
  4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thank you for the response Marcel. :)

5. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sorry @Marcel Offermans, following your list I will add:
    • The Boxmaster, which was a Christmas surprise which we intend to leave there as is.
    • Gasoline Alley, which was a 3PA project that was brought to rFactor 2 by Gilles and Bill. We will leave it to them to either release an updated version or not.
    • The Kodi, which was a straight port from rFactor 1. We have no intention to upgrade this fantasy car any further.
    • The Formula Renault 3.5 2010 edition
    • The Formula RC, which was a proof of concept to show that the physics engine could also handle really small cars. We'll leave that as is.
    • Quads and canyon track
    • Then there are two cars that were more or less 3PA projects converted from rFactor 1, the Corvette C6 and NSX '91 street cars. Our focus going forward is predominantly on race cars, not as much street cars. Plus both cars by now have been replaced by newer versions. Therefore we won't update these anymore.
    • Marussia F1 (same destiny of SkipBarber?)
    • Ported rFactor 1 tracks (like Montreal...) or ones you have no intention to upgrade
    All this content...can be removed from auto-download at first install?
    If you guys don't plan to upgrade them I would like to avoid them, I would like to choose if I should have obsolete (or useless) content on my install...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Alex72 likes this.
  6. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you for the answer Marcel.

Good luck for the future !

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sorry to bitch on about it, and I know the main focus of rf2 is race cars, but I wish there was at least ONE first party sports car/supercar built from the ground up for rf2. Even something like an Ariel Atom or BAC Mono would be awesome. I will keep wishing!

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Thanks @Marcel Offermans for your answers. In your answers I could not find any info about your plans for physics update for the incredible historic F1,F2 and F3 content. I know these got an update lately for DX11 and rain, but still the physics works on older technology (prior CPM, corrected CPM and chassis flex). What's your upgrade plans for these great cars?

BTW: I (and i know many others) think this historic content is the most outstanding content rF2 has to offer and it deserves an update to new rf2 physics technologies.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Marcel Offermans

I did not go into specifics because we have not made a final decision, but there is one thing I can say. We are certainly aware of the fact that the historic cars (and tracks) have an enthusiastic following within the rFactor 2 community and we definitely intend to give historic cars (and I am deliberately vague here) some attention this year.

Turbo, Neawoulf, pkelly and 13 others like this.
  10. Marcel Offermans

We already made this change. If you do a fresh install of rFactor 2, upon first start the Launcher will only subscribe you to content in the S397 workshop. The ISI content is still available for those who enjoy it, but you have to explicitly subscribe to it.

DustySticks, Turbo, Alex72 and 3 others like this.
  11. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I
    I did it but I found all the content there again...:confused:
    I will retry just to see if it was a problem on my side...

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ah marrs thats good to hear about that content. Shame about the possibility that the skip might not be updated. There is some great older cars in RF2 which would be a total shame if left unloved. But it is what it is i suppose. :)

Would be nice to have a formula ver/trainer/ford, like race car with rf2 physics etc. if the skip cant do an update.?

13. Marcel Offermans

If we can't update the Skippy we will definitely take a good look at something to replace it with. For now I would probably recommend the USF 2000 as the closest matching car.

14. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

What about ISI/3PA tracks?

- Matsusaka 2015
    - Longford 1967
    - Bathurst 2014
    - TigerMoth 2014
    - LochDrummond 2013
    - Belgium 1966
    - Montreal 2000
    - Oval tracks

Thanks and regards.

Louis and jayarrbee36 like this.
  15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Haven't the 'classic' Formula Fords all migrated over to what we see in British F4 now?

For crying out loud! They know it, they're working on it. Be patient!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  16. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I'm going to start a petition to get the NSX updated! :cool:

Thanks for the answers though @Marcel Offermans. It's good to see this transparency and information directly from the devs.

rFactor 2 is really gathering some good pace now and it seems to be showing with event grid sizes.

Yeah, but it's not much of a genuine entry series anymore unless you've got a ton of cash and rich, generous sponsors. There's still a big following of traditional Formula Fords globally thankfully. Personally I think they are better to watch and look much more fun than the mini F1 cars with wings. Plus cars in rF2 without downforce are a hoot to drive! :D

Godwind Racing and bohemis09 like this.
  17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

After proofreading, I'm afraid my title is misleading :

Instead of saying ISI+S397 content, I should have said "do you intend to update, on a specific plan, the PHYSICS for very large part of the official content.

It is obvious that it is not useful to put the latest CPM-QSA tires on the quad, the van or the Kodi fancy car or the RC car !

In addition, as far as I'm concerned, the update graphic/visual/rain is for me largely secondary to the update of the physics, even if we all wish a global improvement.

I am not completely sure to have formulated well my wish/question, and of course, the use of English does not help.

It's good to add content of an impressive quality (for your latest DLC, well done !), but knowing that the ISI/S397 car content is a 95 % excellent (ISI too...), it would be a shame not to make a physics update for your more than ~50 official cars.

I have the impression that what can be seen as "mainstream"/waited by the gamers coming from all horizons (ergonomics / visual-graphics etc.) is privileged since 1 year on the aspects of the realism (example: graphic effects of rain without first seeing the physics of the rain and managing the aquaplanning, I think this example illustrates the problem well.) For me it's a problem, but of course, for many players it's a great thing.

There are as many types of players as players, yes ... but since 1 year S397 seeks above all to satisfy the players wanting beautiful graphics etc .... at the expense of others which are without a doubt a minority.

@S397:
    I hope that this year you will reinvent yourself in all aspects of realism, and don't focalize on ergornomics/visuals-graphics......

18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

If you've never watched British Formula 4, it's some of the best racing I've ever watched; it's actually better than the BTCC it supports!

They've been making it look more contemporary. It's using more updated graphics drivers now and the immersion aspect has gone up, it's arriving into 2018 rather than looking 2008 and they will get to the physics/CPU/laser scanning when they get to it.

19. stonec

stonec Registered

I assume it's up to the mod team to update those, at least I got the impression from Marcel in his post regarding 3PA cars. I would like to see an updated Matsusaka, Montreal not so much, but I guess it's up to S397 if they want to continue supporting the 3PA program that ISI created. 3PA is a bit problematic from licensing point of view, so I can understand if they are not comfortable with continuing it. Matsusaka was made by @woochoo I think, so you can probably ask him directly. Even if S397 chooses to no longer include 3PA items in their workshop, nothing stops modders from releasing them in the workshop under their own name.

20. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Thanks @stonec. Regarding the 3PA content, you're probably right. But what will happen to the ISI content? Some of the tracks that I've named aren't 3PA.