F1 1996 Mod by SliDe

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by intweb, Jan 16, 2018.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I don't think anti-stall was a thing back then, as davehenrie said.

1988 Spa has some pretty high kerbs, back in those days they kept off the kerbs. Kerbs were actual kerbs. So, I don't suggest riding them at all. Would be nice if someone could bring in a more recent version of Spa with the old bus stop, with lower kerbs like from GPTeam 1998 or something.

Is your aggressiveness exclusively with the McLaren? Because I'm pretty sure all the set ups should be the same? Though I actually haven't checked... lol

The Iron Wolf and Guimengo like this.
  2. RoWo

RoWo Member

I noticed, that this cars often abruptly get stuck in the gravel, sometimes they end in a somersault. (Sorry, if not the right word, google tanslator helped me.) Maybe the ride height is too low?

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

No anti stall in the 90s. Brundle stalled turn 3 at Melbourne (after his first wreck) Katayama stalled on the warmup lap at Nurburgring, several cars stalled in the pits, Coulthard stalled at Suzuka and Schumacher stalled at Suzuka 98.
    Think it was 2005 anti stall became a standardised thing. When Richard Hammond drove Alonso's R25 the anti stall kicked in about eight times.

4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks for your responses guys. I am all for realism, and if it wasn't possible to restart 90s F1 after stalling, this detail is a huge plus in my book. In fact engine stall is one of the reasons (many) I prefer rF2 to other games. It is super immersive to have to think about clutch to avoid stall.

I think I'll have to raise ride height a bit, it indeed feels car is really low, end gets stuck easily on uneven surfaces, as RoWo said.

Yeah, 96 Spa would be nice, but it is what it is, and for now most era accurate is 1988 track pack, we're lucky to have it, considering there's no scratch made modern Spa in rF2 yet.

@SL1DE, if you could give your vehicles a unique class assigned, say F1_1996_SL1DE, I could include built in class mapping in the Crew Chief. See here on easy way to do it: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/aussie-legends.57700/page-7#post-927909

Meanwhile, if anyone of you folks uses CC, here's my private mapping of this mod to a single class. You could save this as carClassData.json in [My Documents]\CrewChiefV4\ folder

Code:
    {
        "CarClasses": [
            {
                "carClassEnum": "F1_1996",
               "rf2ClassNames": ["01-Ferrari", "07-Sauber-Ford Zetec", "09-Tyrrell-Yamaha", "11-Forti-Ford Ed", "08-Footwork-Hart","02-Benetton-Renault", "05-Ligier-Mugen Honda", "10-Minardi-Ford Ed", "03-Williams-Renault", "06-Jordan-Peugeot", "04-McLaren-Mercedes" ],
                "brakeType": "Carbon",
                "maxSafeWaterTemp": 105,
                "maxSafeOilTemp": 140,
                "timesInHundredths": true,
                "enabledMessageTypes": "ALL",
                "pitCrewPreparationTime": 17
            }
        ]
    }

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

One more suggestion: would be great if cars lose front wing easier, currently they're not as fragile as they should be imho :) Or, has anyone tried bumping damage to 200%?

6. Filip

Filip Registered

Thanks to everyone involved in this great mod

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I always HATED the cars in GTR2 that had Magic engines. They set the torque at zero rpm high enough that the engine would automatically restart. I am pretty sure the same could be achieved in rF2 so I'm happy to see modders NOT doing that.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  8. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yeah, I agree - But I'm not very experienced with track conversions. I'd prefer if somebody else could do it properly, because if I done it it'd like be lazy and low quality probably.

I'll take a look at the class thing. So I just need to add the line DisplayClassOverride="F1_1996_SL1DE" in the top of upgrades.ini?

If I have some free time later tonight, I'll do it. I hate packaging everything, such a drainer. xD

9. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I think Assetto Corsa is guilty of this too. You can be sitting on 0 rpm with the clutch out, and you just need to accelerate to get it started again.

10. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Sure, I should just need to lower a simple number in the damage.ini

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Awesome, could you make front wing fall off?

I'm not sure about ini for settng unique car class string changes but I will gladly test private package. Cheers:)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

If only that was all AC is guilty of :)

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

BTW, class string can be tested in garage by expanding driver list monitor. Sorry for the spam, but it would be great if more series use class string for what it says - car class (which groups similarly performing cars) instead of ream names, engine makes etc etc :)

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I still enjoy it though. It has stuff rf2 is lacking and vice versa.

Would love to see the Barcelona Forti Shannon livery in this.

Filip likes this.
  15. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yeah, I should be able to easily. There's a big update coming, that's where I'll add it in.

The second Forti car with the liveries should all be fixed soon. It will be included in the big update that's coming.

EMY, the person who started the conversion is going to help out with some things also.

Bjørn, Sherwin92, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I know you've hands full of work already, but I'll allow myself one more suggestion for the longer future: would be nice to get Visor in this series.

Looking forward to the update, thanks :)

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

If you need a tester, I'd like to help. 1996 is my thing :p

18. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

This mod's coming along nicely. Would you be implementing the car body shader with rain drops? pretty simple to implement.

keep up the good work.

AMillward and F1Aussie like this.
  19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Just as a note about the anti stall- I was doing some research on the 1996 Monaco GP as part of my "story time" series on YouTube (which is coming NEXT Wednesday and will use the Ligier from this mod- shameless plug!) and Eddie Irvine managed to bump start his Ferrari after Panis had punted him out the way at the Lowes Hairpin. Dropped the clutch, let it roll down the hill and brought it back in. The bods at Ferrari didn't know it could be done!

Edited to say next Wednesday. I just wrote a piece on the 1997 European GP at Jerez and that's more interesting to people :p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    intweb and The Iron Wolf like this.
  20. intweb

intweb Registered

.....get in line