Make Historic F3's Great Again!

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Tucker Fleming, Dec 2, 2017.

1. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

So are we still doing "Long" version next week?
    Love to join but 6:30am Monday here and getting ready to go out.

2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Hope so, though this old shorty-backwards gem is good too. We had one race with an intense three way battle (until I goofed and dropped back). Bryan said the rev layout was run "by request."

Good time to get in some laps while it's still up too.

3. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Looks like Longford today...I'll prolly have to drive an *hack, cough, partial vomit* Eve just to be somewhat competitive.

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Yeah, the sparky is struggling to keep up around here....:(

Tucker Fleming likes this.
  5. Tucker Fleming

Places like here, Monza and Spa the Eve is so much faster you pretty much have to drive it to be in the race. You can still drive the Spark, just ask that the Eve guys toss you a beer when they zoom by...
    I have a very niz Billy Blaze Gurney tribute skin I run on the Eve, makes it fun!

6. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I'll just have to wait til they're all stacked up under the bridge, sneak past and make the little ol' Spark as wide as a bus....:p

7. Christopher Snow

Well, if there is a week to run a Gurney skin, this would be it. Look forward to seeing it.

Not sure how slow the Spark is (don't believe I've ever tried it), but the Eve showed me a 133 top @ 2:38.2* the other night.

(* Your results may vary, of course).

8. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

The Eve's were in the low 36's yesterday, best I've managed is 37.7 and that was a wild ride. 38's race pace at best for me.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

It's possible to make the Spark work on these high-speed tracks, but you need a tow. Longford less so, because of the tight quarters and the likelihood of competitors finding obstacles. Having said that, I'll be in an Eve today.

10. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Another fun race in these little beasts. Just wish people would stop throwing hay bales at me in the worst possible places.....:D:p

11. Emery

Emery Registered

I want to hear about @Christopher Snow breaking the brake pedal... morbid curiosity, you know.

12. Tucker Fleming

Yep Yep fun! With 5 min to go I clipped the stick turning right just after the bridge and ended up in a ditch and couldn't get out! I didn't know what side of the road I was on or what direction I was facing. Too bad. I ended up driving the Spark after all, had great racing with Tim (Bullwinkle) and a couple others.

13. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I was watching him and his car looked as if it was jumping back to neutral or something. Happened a heap of times.

14. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Okay, so this week we're off to woochoo's latest project, Le Grand Circuit 1967. Never turned a lap here...hope it suits my little sparky. :)

15. Christopher Snow

I think my Plasma Lite interface board has finally just packed it in. What was happening from my end was the brakes were slamming on full but the engine was screaming at the same time (not IN brake zones, but several times coming out and starting down long straights). Happened a few times in practice, so I disconnected and then reconnected...and it seemed ok...
    ...and then after the bridge the pedal just wouldn't come up right either*.

[* there is no brake spring to break, btw. It's a DIY hydraulic load-cell configuration that been pretty solid for more than ten years, but it seems I bent or broke something]

Odd effects out of the board for the last few days too: The brake bias in AC was resetting itself back one click at a time, and it runs through the same circuit board...which had me wondering if it was "cross-talk" in the wiring or something.

===

Leo Bodnar sells a similar board and he's still in business (unlike Leo LaCava), so it's time to get out the wallet I think.

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

hey folks, it has been fun reading about your Longford experiences :)

If the spark is down on power to the eve you might struggle at Le Grand Circuit

17. Christopher Snow

Followup to previous: I actually found one instance of this happening on replay, coming out of the corner before crossing the railroad tracks--both brake AND clutch instantly go full on (I wasn't pressing the pedals either, and it appears everything was working properly coming down the hill and under the bridge--go figure (I can see the pedal coming on and off as I manipulate it up 'til then, etc). Then--BOOM!--and the engine is still screaming because I'm starting up the long straight with a yellow car still ahead.

All my pedal axis and dashboard buttons run through this same board, so unless there was some similar connection issue affecting other people too--I saw Bryan chatting something about that (?)--I think it's got to be a problem only at my end. 150 MBPS upload (fast cable) so I really doubt it's anything as simple as a bad conn ONLY from here.

That all said, the brake pedal still moves, but it does feels pretty odd. That's going to be hardware...maybe a worn or grooved DIY part. So I think I actually have a couple things to repair and replace.

Just thrilled about it too <mine is not a happy face right now>.

18. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Good luck. Like I said I was watching you after you said WTH and it seemed like you were jumping into neutral at full revs...that explains that....

19. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

And we are F2 Fanatics this week.....:)
    @woochoo. Have always loved Longford in any car, especially sector 1.

20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Cheers mate :)
    Also, the F2 might be a bit more interesting at LGC. Good move!

Tucker Fleming likes this.