Moving From VR (Rift) Back to Triples. Need Help with Monitor Choice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClintW, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Hi All

I've Been using the Rift for well over a year now and have decided to go back to triples. I sold my old ones which were just crappy 22inch 60hz jobs I bought second hand. I would love some help and advise. Given I have been using the rift, immersion and 1:1 ratio is a priority for my new setup. My budget is $1500 aud. I'm using a gtx1080.

These are the ones I am thinking of;
    AOC AGON AG272FCX (Curved 4ms)
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/70527-AG272FCX

AOC AGON AG322FCX 31.5inch (Curved 4ms)
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/65274-AG322FCX

Acer GN276HL 27inch (Flat 1ms)
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/67986-GN276HL

AOC G2770PF 27inch (Flat 1ms)
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/61110-G2770PF

My questions are;
    • should I go 27 or 32 1080p (keeping in mind 1:1 as close as possible is my preference)?
    • are curved monitors ok to use in RF2 and other sim (i don't want any sense of warping)?
    • does anyone have any experinece with any of these?
    My gut feel is to go the first one on the list, from what I have read 27 inches is the sweet spot, I'm just worried about the curved monitor.

Any pictures people have got of their setups would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for all you help in advance.

2. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Go an Ultra wide 34" New Acer predator you wont be disappointed....

3. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Hi wrxxy, thanks for the advice. This is the second time you've helped me out...I was the guy a few Friday nights ago you helped with my in-game settings and G27 (Much appreciated!). Looking forward to the GT3 league starting!

My only nervousness around a single monitor is less peripheral vision? given I'm used to the Rift. Decisions decisions!

Cheers

4. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

I had triples once, will never go back now. I just luv it now............ I thought the same as you...but each to there own.

5. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Yep, I'm torn!

6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

With a GTX 1080 card I would go for:
    1. 24" or 27" monitors if you can position them right behind your steering wheel (60-70cm from your eyes) to get the 1:1 FOV.
    2. 1080p resolution, as for the next step (1440p) I would recommend the GTX 1080Ti.
    3. monitors with GSync so you don't have to resort to another vsync solution (GSync allows the monitors to adapt to the fps of your GPU so the result is very smooth graphics with no tearing and no display latency)
    4. flat screens as all video cards assume that screens are flat and do not in any way compensate for curved ones (so those will in theory always look distorted which is probably a reason why they don't curve a lot).

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I suspect 144Hz is optimistic for triples too. Gsync with a lower rate is probably a better option.

*Hmm... g-sync with only FHD in 27" might be a challenge, from that range at least.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  9. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Thanks Marcel and Lazza

Verry helpful advice.

I'm finding it impossible to find a g-sync, 1080, 27inch, flat monitor. They all seem to be going to 1440 and those are pretty expensive (over my budget anyway and potentially have to turn graphics down a bit). I could go this one but its only 24 inch, and i was hoping for 27.
    Acer Predator XB1 XB241H 24inch 144Hz G-Sync

I have also been hearing that gsync is not necessary if I can get fairly consistent framerates but not sure how well that will work in RF2 (i guess that would be resorting to using vsync?).

I was considering buying some cheap second hand 24inch 60hz monitors just to test the sizing etc before investing in gsync ones (if i was going to go 24inch). i can always sell the second-hand ones and not loose out.

thanks so far

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

People usually seem to suggest > 120 fps you can get away with tearing, so a 144Hz screen and generally hitting that FPS might be fine. But I don't know what sort of framerates you'll get pushing 3xFHD with a 1080.

11. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Hi ClintW

I've recently upgraded and went for the Acer Predator XB271H monitors onto a 1080Ti GPU

You definately want 144hz and you definately want Gsync as you've already got the Nvidia card. Mine looks awesome now, the graphics are stunning.

If I Had a little more cash I would have gone for the slim bezel models but they were an extra 50GBP each......

Note you only get 144hz through the display port....make sure your card has three display ports

jr

vegaguy5555 and Marcel Offermans like this.
  12. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

I run 35" monitors overclockable to 200Mhz at 7680 * 1080 with a GTX-1080Ti and i7-8700K and a second sim rig with 27" monitors at 60Mhz at 5760 * 1080.

If you primarily play games like iRacing and Automobilista you can get away with triple screen @ 1440p. If you play rFactor 2, Project Cars 2 on my PC spec, I have to tone down the graphics of my ultra-wides to high not Maximum to get a steady 90fps on 1080p monitors. I also play other games like X Plane 11 where I can only get 30fps to 40 fps on medium settings.

Therefore with your GTX-1080 I would recommend sticking to triple 1920*1080.

Other recommendation based on experience:
    - Get at least 100Mhz monitors as a minimum. My eye strain noticeably improves once frame rate get above say 80fps. 90fps - 100fps is really smooth and I struggle to notice much improvement over 120Mhz.[​IMG]
    - Get G-Sync as you have a nVidia card. I was skeptical at first but when rf2 drops to lower FPS I think it really helps. None of your monitor selection has G-Sync and Freesync doesn't do anything on nVidia cards. I know it costs more money but i highly recommend G-Sync
    - Curved screens are no better than flat screens. I don't prefer one or the other but I wouldn't pay extra for curved over flat.
    - 35" Ultra-wides is overkill in terms of peripheral vision as I cannot see the far edges of my side monitors and hence that is just wasted pixels. With 1080p I think 27" monitors are wide enough to get great peripheral view, however a 35" centre screen is a LOT better than 27".

Below is 35" curved screens. The physical wing span is 203cm.
    [​IMG]

Louis and DaveS78 like this.
  13. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Have you considered a projector? It costs less than three good monitors and can produce a 120" image or larger.

14. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Beef36, that rig is absolutely stunning (I know...normally a description of a sexy woman)!

G-Sync is a difficult one for me. I would love to get it but not sure if I can justify the $$$. Having a look I can't find anything for much under double a non G-Sync Monitor. I did find a lenovo y27g re 27 curved but they are still almost $200each above say the AOC Non G-Sync equivalent. The Lenovo has very mixed reviews and I can only get them on eBay, so I'm hesitant to head down that path.

I'll definitely be sticking to the 1920x1080 to try and keep my framerates up. Been spending most of my time in Fractor2 lately.

15. Marcel Offermans

With monitor sizes it's all about how close you can get them to your head, as size is relative. So if you're on a budget, get smaller monitors and place them closer. You should be able in general to place them right behind the steering wheel (often on top of or above the base of that wheel).

16. ClintW

ClintW Registered

That's definitely an option. If I went 24inch I could get good g-sync monitors for around my budget. I guess the choice would come down to flat G-sync 24s (with normal border) or curved non g-sync 27s (with slim border)... both would be 1920x1080144hz. The G-Sync are still more expensive but not significantly.

This decision is starting to do my head in :)

17. Comante

Comante Registered

If you find 144hz monitors, I would not care about G-sync, especially because RF2 in DX11 look smoother than DX9 at equal FPS.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the g-sync is more useful at times when your framerates drop. If frames are going to stay fast then no worries. (what will a 1080 do at 5760x1080? Or, what's the worst it will do?)

I wouldn't consider curved screens even if they're the same price as flat. If you're going to go 1:1 you don't want curves stuffing that up, out of principle even if you wouldn't really notice (and on the odd occasion you do, it might annoy you).

19. Marcel Offermans

I beg to disagree. Unless you setup rFactor 2 (and any other games you play) to consistently hit 144 fps or better, gsync is going to look a lot smoother. I have tried both in triple screen setups and I would not want to go back.

Hparadine likes this.
  20. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

I agree. I originally thought G-Sync was just marketing gibberish. But it really works. With your GTX-1080 card, I wouldn't consider a new monitor without it.