Wheel with strong soft wheel and no deadzone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. momoracer

momoracer Registered

The 2 things I hate about my g27:

1) the dreaded deadzone: going in a straight line feels like you are detached from the car, there's no input of the road texture it feels as if you are floating
    2) the soft lock is so weak: if im driving an f1 car and the soft lock is at 270º, i can easily get past 270º while quickly oversteering and it confuses my senses because I turn more than the virtual wheel

So what is a good replacement for the g27 that will solve both issues?

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Many people in our league have moved to DD drives and provide excellent feedback. OSW is one of the most affordable among those.

3. momoracer

momoracer Registered

I have heard people claiming how OSW broke their wrist during a crash because the wheel spin with too much force... this scares me.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You can adjust maximum force I guess. I am not an expert, but OSW has medium torque compared to other DD wheels.

As you say you have to be careful. I haven't heard about these type of injuries in our league but better be careful.

5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Moving to thrustmaster tx or t300 is enough to cure those problems, i think. For me the jump from g27 to tx felt quite substantial. I got clearly better feel with tx.

With t300 the heavier rim might dampen the feel little bit compared to tx. Atleast to me it felt like changing the tx's original light plastic rim to heavier ferrari gte rim did that.

Problem for me was that the tx felt still too weak force vise. Maybe that TS-PC racer is better option, if it's not too expensive.
    If you don't want to spend on new pedals, you can use g27 pedals with usb adapter, or use them through the g27 base.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Agree, both of your issues will be solved with a moderately cheap wheel like T300. T300 provides approximately 70% more peak torque than a G27, which will also help to make the soft lock stronger. Deadzone is nonexistent on my T300 even after several years of use.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Then just let go :)

McKiernan likes this.
  8. momoracer

momoracer Registered

thanks for input. how strong is the lock? can you get past 270 degrees on a f1 car?

how does it compare to the t500 or the fanatec?

9. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

If you can afford the T500 or Fanatec and don't want a DD wheel then that's how I'd go. Upgraded to the T500 from a G27 and it is a whole new world. It'll sort out both your probs with the G27 and you'll pick up heaps of time. At least I did. The Fanatec wheel I haven't tried but you only need to read users reviews to know how good it is.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@momoracer There's another side to your problem, and that's that F1 cars don't have 270° lock. 360 would be a more realistic starting point, up to 450 or even 480 at places like Monaco.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I went from a G25 to a Thustmaster T300rs with the
    [​IMG]
    T300 Racing Wheel Servo Base
    [​IMG]
    T3PA-PRO
    [​IMG]
    599XX EVO 30mm Wheel

But you can get the
    [​IMG]
    Ferrari F1 Wheel

The pedals have a mod you can use or not that give you the feel off a brake pedal but let's be honest, you can't go past a load cell brake pedal for a more realistic feel.

Although the T3PA-PRO is using Potentiometer (analog voltage proportional to a displacement) it uses 10-bit (1,024 values) compared to Potentiometer 8-bit for the G-27. Doesn't sound much but is a exponential value so it's greater then it looks.
    The best option for this I think would be the Fanatec pedals witch uses the load cell brakes but it's twice the price
    [​IMG]using 12 bit Potentiometer and a 90kg load cell for the brake.
    Can this be modified and mounted upside down?
    upload_2018-1-22_14-27-45.png
    ?????? Would be better! Yes?
    Like the T3PA-PRO can and how I have mine set up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mounted into a GT Exteme driving cockpit so the pedal or floor angle is great then pictured here. It's very comfortable to drive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  12. stonec

stonec Registered

T500 has a litte more peak torque than T300, perhaps 25% more, but it also uses older tech brushed FFB engines and is a bit less smooth. And as @Lazza mentioned, you should probably test with 360 degrees or more to avoid running into the soft lock. You can see how much lock real F1 cars have for example in this video.

13. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Well the problem is not the rotation, Im using whatever the car is configured to use, I said 270 but it's whatever its using on the config.

the problem is that the g27 is shit when it comes to locking the wheel at the desired degrees so no matter the angles I always end up getting past it. It happens on rally cars too when you have to violently correct the wheel.

14. momoracer

momoracer Registered

DD would be cool, but like I said before, i dont want to break my wrists while playing, and when you use Oculus you dont really see what your arms are doing so its a bit scary.

15. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

you wont there are modded controller files with reduced collision settings just gone from T500 to OSW no issues at all.
    as we like to have a crash fest when over the finish line on a race for fun with full speed crashes no jols on wheel
    and compared to my T500 the OSW feels amazing.
    mine is 20nm kit and i run max force settings are 55% with .54multi so 25% isg of max force plenty for me :)
    you wont regret buying one i promise you that :)
    just like anything it needs to be setup right
    my kit i brought
    http://www.simtechracing.co.uk/products/osw-simforce-steering-system?id=654479
    http://www.simtechracing.co.uk/products/steering-wheels?id=739833

16. Tompa

Tompa Registered

You could save the g27 pedals and mod them easily with new springs really cheap and go for the T300 with F1 rim. But if you have money I would go for something better.(I havent yet myself, waiting for Feel VR DD)

17. momoracer

momoracer Registered

interesting. what's the "VR" about?

sounds like a scam tho

18. lagg

lagg Registered

I've a commercial OSW (Augury) for two years and i have never had any problem. There are DIY OSW which have had this type of problems but i don't know any problem with commercial DD wheels (OSW or other).
    If you can buy a DD wheel, go tor it without any doubt.

Has someone tested the Feel VR? This could be a good option.

19. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Im just worried at the insane torque. I don't want to to break my wrist. I could do with less torque so hopefully Feel VR is not a scam and it has a detailed FFB.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

As @SimonJ said above, you set it up and it won't break your wrists.
    I did the same as SimonJ, T500 to OSW Small Mige 20nm SimuCUBE, set the controller files up so when I hit a wall or something I shouldn't be hitting there is little to no violent forces. I don't want to break my wrists either.
    Saying that though, always have the kill switch in reach.
    It is worlds apart from the T500 but granted it is a fair bit dearer but you won't be buying another wheel, ever!

SimonJ likes this.