details about Real Road

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumin0u, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Lumin0u

Lumin0u Registered

Hi

After some research I have not found some details I'm wondering about the Real Road feature.
    Important note: I don't really know how it "happens" in real life so sorry in advance if my questions are dumb.

Do the amount of rubber and the speed the rubber is put on track depend on the type of car and the type of tyre (which depends on the type of car) that are used?

Does it happens quicker without abs and tc (for example with a gt3 car)?

Thanks and sorry for my broken English

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have no knowledge of the workings of realroad, but real life might help. Track rubber build-up is not so much black streaks laid down by tires that have locked up and are grinding away at a flat spot. Tracks get rubbered in by the repetitive driving around the track by many cars for many laps. The natural contact with the track surface scrubs away small particles of rubber from the tire and some of that is compressed into the crevasses of the asphalt/track material. When the rubber tire makes contact with more of it's own rubber pressed into the road surface, the better the grip. So TC or ABS shouldn't make much difference, the only spot where the extra build up by a locked up tire would only occur where that black strip is. Very difficult to use marks on the track surface to improve one's grip, especially since that strip is most likely the result of a mistake and would not represent the best line around a corner.
    The real key to varying buildup of rubber on a track is two-fold.

1. The track surface. A very smooth surface has less rough edges to scrape the tire's surface and fewer tiny crack to stuff the rubber into.

2. The tire construction has a huge impact upon rubber buildup. Some tires are designed for long life vs performance, the Continental tires previously used by IMSA would probably fall in that category. Other tires, like those built for F1 are designed to fail long before the race is over. So they are giving up tire surface rubber at a much higher rate which, in turn, would contribute to the track rubbering in much faster.

One of the tenants of GT3 racing is lower costs when compared to GT E/GT2/GT LM. So it would make sense the tires, while true competition products, tend to not wear as much as the Michelins used by Corvette, Ferrari etc in GT2.

Lumin0u and Amanda Santini like this.
  3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Answers in bold

Lumin0u likes this.
  4. Lumin0u

Lumin0u Registered

thanks for the answers!

if I test with an AI and time acceleration, wouldn't it be better to enable tire wear? isn't rubber build-up dependent on tire wear?

SPASKIS likes this.
  5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

No. No tyre wear is meant just for the car. I mainly use it for tests. The track gets normally rubbers. You can also modify the speed at which it rubbers but I bet it will be independent regarding compound. I dont know if different cars will show other behaviour between them. You can try it as well but I will not detail how. I let you figure it out yourself.

Lumin0u likes this.
  6. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

I find the 'rubbering' to happen too quickly. If the track is completely green and I'm the only driver, it should take more than 12 hours to fully rubber it in, I think. But if I drive alone and set real-road to 1x, I can do my fastest laps (some faster than the real life ones) after 8 or 10 laps driving around.

And interestingly enough, sometimes the rubber doesn't get put where I drive. If I drive off the racing line, the rubber is still set in the racing line. At least on Spa I was able to observe this.

7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

If you have private practice ON and AI drivers higher than zero, the AI will still lay rubber on the track and set times even tho you can't see them.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That's not my experience. Check what suggested in previous post.

bwana likes this.
  9. Lumin0u

Lumin0u Registered

ok thanks, I'll do some experiments.
    a long time ago, some months after the alpha release, I was curious and did around 50 laps at Sepang with the fr3.5 trying to brake completely off the racing line at the first corner, and the rubber built up right where I was braking (on the inside at the end of the straight line).
    It already worked back then, I hope they haven't changed that.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They haven't, Real Road is dynamic so it follows your driving line.

Lumin0u likes this.
  11. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Oh, you're right. I might have had invisible AI drivers too.

12. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Scary system of this road. I recommend that you change the channel picture at the root.
    I left the car on the road, came back, and I see this picture ...
    [​IMG]

Drawing the channel goes from the center of the car, not from the wheels. Drying the tracer runs along the center line of the body, not from the wheels.
    [​IMG]
    Make an advanced system.
    [​IMG]

example
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The ISI could not do anything with their loud statements.
    And the desire to make a dynamic soil loose surfaces.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Welcome to 2012.

For most practical purposes the current system (which works at the polygon level) does a good enough job. There are more important things to fix than increasing the realroad resolution and realism to that extent (which would increase CPU load and network bandwidth for online racing - something many don't have much spare of, if you look around).

Every game, even if you look at their strengths, is simplifying real life in order to make the game work. If you're trying to be critical you can absolutely be critical of basically everything. For racing the current realroad system is just fine.

TJones and jayarrbee36 like this.
  14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I've learned something today.

But then, it probably explains why some corners where overtaking round the outside is possible (Luffield, Senna S, Curva Grande) has a wider real road line than corners where it's impossible (the cutting at Bathurst, Lowes at Monaco etc)

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's an interesting question I think - how much do you educate people about how a game works in an effort to impress them with how advanced it is, when telling people exactly how a game works can break the illusion of it being better than it really is? I'm sure games used to seem more advanced before the days of wiki guides on exactly how many % a stat upgrade gives you (as an example).

Look at the rF2 tyre model. Hours spent generating lookup tables so that the tyre behaviour can work in a manner that's not possible to calculate in real time (within the constraints of the model), and then some people who prefer other games talk about it being a bad thing (rF2 uses lookup tables, ewwww). Meanwhile their preferred game is using a simpler system all calculated in real time which will almost certainly result in less realistic behaviour in many scenarios.

I hope that as S397 continues to fix and polish rF2 the UI is informative and functional enough to cover many of these gaps, so that the average user doesn't need modder-level knowledge of a feature and has that illusion broken immediately.

16. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Two big flaws IMO:
    -Rain washes the rubber out. It doesn't happen in real life. Only after a entire rain season and few track usage the rubber is partially reduced.
    -Wet grip seems to be inverted. Racing on rubber appears to be fast than off line. It should be the opposite. On slicks, use brakes on the rubber line in wet should provide immediate spun. Driving off rubber line should provide much more grip on wet.

Guimengo and Amanda Santini like this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes it does happen in real life (i've seen it first hand many times), maybe not to the extent of 100% clean but rain does enough in one storm to clean the rubber away to make it a "green track", this blog post goes into rubber on tracks in great detail and is a very good read:
    http://buildingspeed.org/blog/2016/08/05/how-tracks-take-and-lose-rubber/

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  18. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

As I said, water do removes rubber but only after a entire season and with few track usage between the rains, at least as they build tracks in Brazil. Maybe your experience be based on a very smooth tarmac where there's few porosity to be filled by rubber. I assure 100% of the rubber won't go away after a ordinary rain as it happens in rF2, it's physically impossible, at least the "rain" is not Katrina Hurricane-like because it would wipe not only the rubber but the entire circuit infrastructure.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes different tarmac types would behave differently, but in racing you often hear the phrase "green track" after it has rained, that refers to rain washing some/lots of the rubber away. I've seen it myself at Brands Hatch (countless times), Daytona and Spa. It's enough in one nights rain to turn a track "green", having watched motorsport for so many years it often comes up during commentary as well.

jayarrbee36 and McKiernan like this.
  20. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

By "Green" they meant a lower grip track (which helps on the excuses after some off as well - drivers are clever in their statements) , not a bland new pavement as rF2 does. Just look at any real life track after rain, the skid marks and rubber line are still there.

Amanda Santini likes this.