[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the lack of round tires and unsmoothed polygons? Yeah, I know, physics first and I agree, but... ugh, at least the tires could be round?

ede78, Daniele Vidimari and toebee like this.
  2. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Thanks for the elaborate answer.
    How many laps do you need to heat the tires up?
    I also tried Portland but I was not really able to manage the fast left-right-combination in the end without incidents. :D Gotta work on a stable setup for these cars and try again. I’m glad that there’s a proper Cart mod available now.

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The tires heat up pretty fast as they are a soft compund. So after one warm up lap you can go on a flying lap allready. In the last section you can easily go with 5th into the first left and shift down into forth in the right hander afterwards and then slowly break and shift down for the last corner until second. It's a quite challenging section as you have to basicly drive it one handed if you are using a sequential shifter. Keep in mind to drive it fast, because the faster you go the better the downforce works and the more stable the car is while breaking for the last turn. When you got a good setup and feel confident you can even work with trail breaking into the last corner. It's crazy how much you can do with these cars, but to get the car into the comfy zone is very difficult. Don't be upset if it takes a bit longer. I easily needed 30 laps to learn the track to be at speed against 90% AI. And I am spinning at times too. ;)

fbiehne likes this.
  4. ppantel

ppantel Registered

Hmm any idea's on a easy way to make the ai more realistic to actual times in 1998? one example i was thinking of was look at average lap times at mid-ohio, and try to adjust the ai to run those laptops at 100% strength?

5. ppantel

ppantel Registered

If your using goodyears, it should warm up pretty quick

6. Emery

Emery Registered

You want an average of three tracks and I'd skip Mid-Ohio as a benchmark track since players can usually go much quicker there than in real life in my experience.

ppantel likes this.
  7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The original mod was designed to require a decent but also careful outlap to warm-up the tires ahead of a hotlap. The mod was revisited ahead of the Automobilista release, I forgot the details and didn't inspect it myself but it's publicly available.

8. ppantel

ppantel Registered

Looking forward to polishing up and fixing those bugs, I have updated the google drive with a list of bugs for the currently released conversion.

DaveS78, ede78, Zeh Drei Peo and 3 others like this.
  9. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

+1000
    AMS version looks better (tires and polygons)

10. ppantel

ppantel Registered

hmm, i'll see how the gmt's look in that version, otherwise i'll definitely be up for re-creating or smoothing out the current rims in 3dsmax

toebee likes this.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I found something out! While yes, the AI is brutal, I have figured out why these beasts are so hard to drive. It's in the setup. Longitudinal weight distribution! Just take some away (hit the minus button). Everything else you can tune out with setup.

Lola needs the most, then
    Reynard
    Swift
    Penske the least.

Not perfect, but really driveable. This is just a tip for those having trouble with it swapping ends (oversteer).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    rubennaatje likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When you say weight distribution, is that lateral or longitudinal?

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Whoops. I fixed it. It's Longitudinal or on the setup sheet it will say "Weight Dist"

14. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

First I want to say that I really appreciate all the work that's been put into this mod and it's release and that I'm aware it's still a WIP but Is there a way to keep the rear suspension (axles+suspension bars) from popping out of view on the cars in front of the car I'm driving when they get a little bit ahead of me? It happens when the cars are about 2 or 3 cars lengths in front of my car, it distracts me at times while racing & looks out of place to see the rear wheels not attached to the rest of the car. Most cars appear this way but there are a couple that are okay such as Andre Ribeiro's #3 Penske and Arnd Meir's #77 Lola. It happens when watching replays too.

I have my opponent and texture detail in game set to full with Auto Detail FPS OFF and in my player.json file graphics options set "Opponent Detail":3, and "Opponent Texture Override":3, This is the only mod i have installed that this happens with and I'm curious to know if perhaps it could be possible to edit a line of text in one of the mod's files to force the suspension from popping out of view.

15. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Sounds like a .gen LOD edit. It should be a pretty simple fix

nextacyn likes this.
  16. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

Sounds good, thanks for your reply. I haven't edited a .gen LOD file yet but if it's fairly simple would you be able to let me know how to find the .gen LOD file and what to edit in it or should I search the forums for info?

17. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

It is something that @ppantel will have to edit before he packages up the mod. You can, in theory, do it, but it requires expanding all the .mas files and rebuilding the mod as your own version.

18. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

I had contacted him a month ago, because I noticed that the cars were using the old engine model, aka no turbos. Also the issue wit the gear box that should be semiauto, but is not. So I offered him my help. No reply.
    So I would not hold up my hopes for this mod too much.

Guimengo likes this.
  19. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

I'm fairly certain I'd be up to the task if I knew where to find the .gen LOD files and what needed to be edited to achieve the fix if that's really all that needs to be done. Anything more than that I'd be at a loss as I have no 3D modeling skills.

20. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

Sorry to hear this, too bad as this mod has so much more potential..