Heavy rattling on rumble strips

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Gevatter, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

I posted this question over at RaceDepartment some time ago, and people helped me out but my problem still remains, so maybe somebody around here can shed some light on my issue.

I gave rFactor 2 a go again some time ago after I received my new Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 wheel. Compared to the G25 the cars feel quite good now, apart from a little fiddling with the settings for each car and the general getting used to the car feel. The only problem I have is very strong forces when going over rumble strips. It feels and sounds like my wheel goes full force and wants to come off it's screws. I had a similar problem when going offroad, but I could tune that out by setting the "off-road" parameter in the controller.json file to 0.1, but the parameters for the rumble strips don't seem to do anything. Normal flat kerbs feel alright.

I tested and have the same problem with three cars: Skip Barber, Formula 2, ASR Ferrari 412T2 (mod), running on Silverstone and Interlagos (eg. rumblestrips between bends 7 and 8 on the left hand side of the track). I'm on the DX11 beta should that influence anything. In-game settings are the stock CSL Elite PS4 profile with changed button binding, so Filtering 4, FFB multiplier set between 65-85 depending on the car and min-force at 0.5%. I also tried setting min force and Filtering to zero, with no changes. Setting filter higher, around 15-20, helps minimally, but also silences all road feel.

Wheel settings: FFB:80, FOR:100, SHO:100, Everything else OFF (as are the settings for my other sims). I got the tip at RaceDepartment to set SHO lower, but even at SHO 10 it would still rattle wildly. I also uninstalled rF2 and deleted the subfolder in the Steam directory. I'm in the process of re-installing rF2 right now.

I have this issue in none of the other sims I play (Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, Power & Glory), so I guess it's not my wheel per se, but rather a setting in rF2 that I don't find or a setting in my wheel that rF2 uses differently to other games. I would be thankful for tips regarding settings for the game or the wheel.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    marvelharvey likes this.
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

So, following a very good tip over on RaceDepartment I updated my wheel driver and now use the FEI setting to tune out the rattling. It makes the rest of the FFB feel a bit awkward, I I'd still like to know if there is a way to reduce the intensity of the rumble strips, like one can do with the offroad effects.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Me again, sorry to be a nuisance.

I did some more driving, testing out a few settings on my wheel. I have to set FEI really high (to 07/10) to drown out the rattling I descibed above, which in turn dampens the road feel somewhat and also slows the wheel down a bit, so that's not something I'd want to use indefinitely.

From what I've read in the past couple of weeks I understand there is currently no way to reduce the intensity of the rumble strips. So my question to the devs is if there is a plan to (re)introduce the multiplier to the .json file like there currently is a multiplier for off-road effects? I'd really like to enjoy this sim without dumbing down my wheel, and from what there is to come in the future there really is a lot to look forward to.

4. Uff

Uff Registered

Having the chance to tune down kerb effects is something I'd really appreciate too: they are very different depending on the steering wheels. With the CSL PS4 I used for a while they were extreme, with Thrustmaster TS-XW I've been testing recently they're barely noticeable instead.

5. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Sorry to bump this thread, but has 397 commented on this? I'm having to avoid kerbs like the plague. Gently grazing one while using my CSW v2.5 wakes up my kids. Is there really no way to switch off the rumble?

6. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

No they haven't. I found that a heavy amount of filtering in-game or on the wheel (the CSL has the FEI setting that lets you lower the effects intensity) helps with the rumbling, but either way you lose some FFB detail, so for me that's more a workaround than a solution.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

There is nothing to switch off as it's not an "effect" in rF2 unlike in other games, the rattling what you feel comes straight from the physical modelling of the curb. If you drive over flat curbs as in Toban you will notice there is no rattle on those. Real life drivers have described how curbs shake the teeth fillings out of them, so there is nothing unrealistic with this. The way to reduce the perceived rattling is to increase filtering from in-game controller settings.

8. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

It doesn't have to be an effect for that. rF2 is capably of scaling FFB forces independently for different surfaces, like the Off-Road modifier in the .json that lets you reduce the strength of the off-road effects, aka for surfaces marked as "off road". As curbs should be a seperate surface from the road, an option in the .json that allowed people to reduce the FFB on that surface type if needed would be welcome. In the end it's not real life but something people play on their PCs with different hardware, so options to accommodate those different types of hardware (without compromising the FFB as a whole) would help keep a larger playerbase happy imo. And the effects seem to be different for different wheels going by what @Uff said above.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

UserData\player folder there is the Controller.json with these lines:

"Rumble strip magnitude":0,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":1.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",

Have you tried adjusting any of those?

10. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that these parameters only work with the rumbles that are not 3D modeled.

11. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

As mentioned in my OP, yes, but they seem to be inactive or at least not meant for the 3d modelled kerbs.

12. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

About the filter. Does it really increase latency? The reason I ask is because RF2 refers to it as "effective latency" while some other games say "'latency'" between quotes.

Edit: I found the quote and also this interesting bit about FFB filter:
    "Here too, ideally the tyre model should do this, but track modeling and/or physics engine frequency might generate peaks that some find disturbing."

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:oops:
    Don't know how I missed that bit of info.

14. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I've no problem with the force of the FFB, it can shake me about and sprain my wrists as much as it wants. What I do have an issue with is the ungodly noise that is generated by my CSW. Twice now it's woken my kids up (both times on the exit of Copse) and I've had to quit certain car/track combos.

I'll try increasing the filter tonight, fingers crossed nobody is disturbed.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Filtering always increases latency in real-time applications, that's how a filter works. The latest FFB impulse does get transmitted, but earlier impulses are used to compute the "average" signal, so on average what you feel is more delayed. But then again, rF2 FFB is 400 Hz. iRacing and some other sims use 60 Hz, so there is some room to add filtering to rF2 without FFB becoming much worse.

caravan_driver likes this.
  16. fasttuning

fasttuning Registered

Seriously??? No solution? Wow and this is Rfactor 2 nowadays?? Incredible. I'm quit, sorry guys, this is not seriously, who will played in your sim, if you can't solve this problem Lol. I just bought my Simucube 2 and you suggest to broke my hands racing your sim? Are you normal there?

17. stonec

stonec Registered

If you want to use real-life strength in your wheel then you can't expect curbs to not also be real-life like. Anyway, as mentioned the solution is to add more filtering. rF2 FFB is directly derived from the physics model, so there are no "hacks" to disable it under certain conditions.

18. fasttuning

fasttuning Registered

Okay! So, okay man, say all other 99% of simracers buy DD wheel and drive with this force feedback to be all in the same situations. Anyway, this is not realistic

19. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Likewise :) Try those settings below, I really like them so far. The curbs don't break your wrists anymore and you can tune the car specific FFB multiplier to your liking without loosing any detail. I use 40-45 for the GT cars.

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/rfactor-2-and-simucube-2/2975/117
    Scroll through the thread if you haven't yet, lots of good suggestions. Oh and of course use the Simucube profiles that are linked in the TrueDrive rF2 profile. They're in this thread as well, rev 3 is the latest.

20. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

Thing is, ffb output when going over the kerbs is ridicilous. I was testing it on Portland with Dallara DW12, smoothing set to 0 and car specific multiplier set to 50%. Steering shaft tourque is really up to the roof in T12 and very strong in T5 and T6, but it rattles on most of the kerbs on the track, and wheel forces are barely felt, as the graph shows really well. So question is how can this be correct? I'm curious to see ffb output on some non-fanatec wheel base.

I'm playing on Fanatec CSW v2.5 wheel base with latest driver (429) with formula wheel 2.5 F1 2021 edition.

Attached Files:

Iketani likes this.