Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

What did you actually settle on? 720 x ?? Also, try out the SHQM-HUD as option C fits around the central mirror and gives a lot of info.

Edit: Tested 1280x720 and seems to be OK. Virtual mirror easier to view now.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Just quit the idea when I read the OT have a 1080ti and can only play against 8 AIs not to mention the very low in-game settings being used.

This technology is years from be minimally decent.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I wouldn't read too much into the OP,,I run a 970 and race against 29 AI with ease.

4. Magus

Magus Registered

I have a 3930k with 980Ti and on well optmised content I can run a race with 20AI (once pack spreads) at 90fps with mostly Medium settings (but no shadows).

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

yep went 720, it definitely seemed better. not sure if it messed up text or if it was just my eyes though

6. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

here's a new one, could not run crew chief today, when having it switched on it annihilated my fps and made it all a stuttering mess, arguably worse then simhub, so it looks like you also can't use crew chief in vr? (when online with 30+ drivers)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've used it online just fine albeit not with that many people on the server (max 15 I think), maybe it bogs down a bit with a big load. If it happens again please report in the crew chief thread so they're aware of it.

8. Magus

Magus Registered

I use Crew Chief without fail in VR with 20AI. No such dismal performace occurrences you mention for me.

9. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks MarcG and Magus.

Something definitely isn't right, went from 30-50 overhead to running in the minuses with crew chief on and 30ai (comparative test to online after I had to leave the server to test)

10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

@Shawn Jacobs : I recently did a performance pass on rF2 shared memory plugin and found no evidence it has any performance impact at all. Crew Chief itself, however, does a bit more work than SM plugin, and I am planning to do a performance pass on it at some point.

Couple of questions:
    * do you notice performance drop when SM plugin is on, but CC is not running?
    * what processor do you have?
    * do you use nAudio or default Audio?

I do not race online in rF2 and rF2 is different online from offline in terms of internals. If you would like to help us, I'll send you instructions on how to capture trace for us to investigate. If you provide such trace, I could use it to see if there are perf differences for online.

11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

One more thing: in some configurations this CC ability might be helpful, but do it at your own risk:

Running on a single CPU
    -----------------------
    You can set the processor affinity for Crew Chief in TaskManager, but this will have to be done each time you start the app. Alternatively, you can start the app with an addition argument "cpu1", "cpu2", ... "cpu8", like this:
    [full path]\CrewChiefV4.exe cpu4
    this will set the processor affinity to the 4th CPU in your system (usually referred to as CPU3 - they're zero-indexed).

12. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I haven't tested with the plug in disabled.

The result was very similar to when I had a simhub dash running, just amplified which I'm guessing may relate to cc pulling a lot more data then the dash and they both use the same plugin.

Definitely happy to help out, I'm doing an online race next weekend expecting 50 cars so it's highly likely I'll have to revert to triples, but I should at least be able to run some tests for you during the week if the practice server is busy.

I'm running a 7700k whuch shows a max of around 50% usage.

On default audio.

Cheers.

13. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Awesome I was wondering if that may be a possibility! Guessing rf2 is mainly using the first couple of cores? Wonder if simhub could do something similar....

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

The interesting case is if you leave plugin enabled, but do not run CC.

Capture of 50 cars online would be awesome. Please, capture as much time as you can, but keep in mind trace would be big prior to compression, so you need several gigs of free space on drive where Documents are: http://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?142-How-to-collect-Crew-Chief-repro-traces
    Send it to me privately via PM.

This trace would be super useful in planned performance pass on CC, it might reveal something we're not aware of.

15. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@The Iron Wolf - Is this in the 'target' line [Properties of the app]? If so, I keep getting a not valid entry. I note that the line has a set of " at the beginning and end of [full path]\CrewChiefV4.exe. Where does cpu4 fit in relation to that? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Has anyone else noticed the ugly wet ground reflections in VR? If I run the game on my monitor the reflections look great – there's clearly a huge improvement over the old build . Yet VR reflections look poor – they flicker and only reflect a narrow FOV (around 45degrees) and look nothing like a puddle (like we've seen in the demo vids for the Bentley). Are some of the new graphical features not yet implemented in VR? Or is something not working correctly? Rift gtx970

17. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I think you mean rFactor 2 is years from being minimally decent in VR. Nothing wrong with the technology

DaveS78, elcoco and The Iron Wolf like this.
  18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I am not 100% sure we talk about the same things, but I noticed weird reflections in rain, Nola track. I also don't think I see the rain drops in puddles in VR, only seen them in 2D when I work on Crew Chief and I use monitor for that. I am not 100% sure though, because of low VR resolution, those drops are quite subtle.

19. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

People struggling to keep smooth game play in PC2 as well even using a 1080ti and jagged lines everywhere. Way below to my standards, maybe I'm the wrong here.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some cars & tracks are fine, others are a nightmare , there needs to be more consistency accross the official isi/397 content imo

elbo likes this.