Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Oh Man!...thanks so much, I've been messing with this sooo much and Depco's "right click on the executable and then going to properties, compatibility, and then check "disable full-screen optimizations. I did this to both my steam.exe and rF2.exe." solution worked for me. I did it just to the rFactor2.exe and it worked! buttery smooth now! Now i can spend some time with the kids :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  3. Depco

Depco Registered

Clint, for the overlay I use one of the new UIs off of steam Workshop. Studio 397 is working on a new UI which hopefully will include new overlays and ways to get information.

As far as TeamSpeak, because we have the Oculus Rift you can use the ability to pin windows into your environment. I open the core 2.0 interface by using the Oculus button on my right touch controller. I then bring up the desktop which has the TeamSpeak window open in it. I grab the TeamSpeak window, isolating it out of the desktop and bring it into my environment and place it where I want it. I pin it and when I close Oculus overlay to go back to rfactor 2 the TeamSpeak window is sitting in the cabin with me. It works a treat. I do the same thing with any other windows that I want to have open in my cockpit while I race.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    sherpa25 likes this.
  4. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Great idea re the team speak window. How good is home 2.0, was playing around in it last night

Put this together

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/vr-simhub-dash-oculus-rift.58955/

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If anyone has Discord I found a very popular server for all things VR, various rooms, lots of chat about everything VR, even has a Racing room!
    https://discord.gg/nA5tqV

Magus, fbiehne and SPASKIS like this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I simply wanted to say that I got my DK2 working in my new PC. I only sat in the garage for the moment.

I am loving it.

7. txinas

txinas Registered

Hellow @Marcel Offermans and all estudio . The VR users needs some changes in the lcds of the cars. In another games you have got a diferent type of information in the virtual car and you use a boton to choose the information in diferent situation of the race and change the lcds.

I dont like use extra plugins in the race and if you implement this i dont use the original of the rf2. Is not natural to the driver and in the real live the drivers have all this information in their LCDS of the car.

Thanks!!

2ndLastJedi, vittorio and Mibrandt like this.
  8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Yeah HUDs break immersion, so info from LCD and radio comm is my preference too. I however hope that realism will always stay a priority and only info available in real life/series will be exposed

9. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

:confused:

In stumped

I7 7700k

Can not for the life of me getting stable 90fps

Prepping for VEC at Suzuka this weekend and asw keeps kicking in causing stuttering.

SS in 1.0
    Circuit low
    Cars low with medium texture in player file.
    Medium texture
    X4
    Low special effects
    Everything else off
    Visible cars 10

Aa X2

And still no go, it drops all through sector 1, then the final chicane.

Surprisingly increasing in game settings doesn't seem to impact performance by that much it's shite regardless.

Doing my head in!

Any suggestions at all?

I've tried asw always on but the glassy effect is a massive immersion killer for me.

10. ClintW

ClintW Registered

I had this
    I had a similar issue I think, didn't matter much how I fiddle with graphics settings (minor changes but not significant). I finally figured out for me it was related to how many AI cars I had running. I find I can have many of the settings on medium-high if i don't run any more than 4-5 cars. If I have my graphics setting on low I still get the issues with 10 or more cars and in a pack situation. Not sure if this helps at all. I haven't tried an online race since figuring this out but I'm hoping its just AI related. I'm running a 1080 with a 6700k. If you are not using AI then im sorry my reply probably doesn't help.

11. Edu

Edu Registered

There is a lot of work to be done in vr optimization...
    I have a 7700k 16GB GTX1080 Oculus CV1...

all at medium level
    AA level 3
    AA in game x16
    post effects low
    Pixel density x1.5
    In brianza whith eve f1, five AI cars and rain..
    Unplayable, stuttering all time...

Mibrandt likes this.
  12. RicoF

RicoF Registered

I followed this thread to setup the rift... now that there has been a major update to rFactor2, did something change? I did not see any visible stuttering, but using the Oculus tool, I could notice a drop in FPS from 90 to 60, or lower. This probably was the cause of my motion sickness :(

From the oculus tool I can fix fps to 45... do people here suggest I adopt this measure or I can do any tweaking?

My setup is an i-5 4690, geforce gtx1070ti, 16GB RAM

Thank you

13. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Have you guys ensured that your GPU is selected in the Video settings page and not AUTO? It quite often defaults to the on-board GPU which is usually much lower spec. This needs to be checked each time you start rF2 as it seems to randomly revert back to the Auto setting. Hoping S397 can sort this as I still occasionally forget to do it!

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's all about finding a balance of settings that works for you, RF2 in its current form will struggle to get a constant 90fps even on the best hardware (more optimisation to come), what I suggest is to lower all settings and gradually work your way up. Using a mix of ASW a long the way and eventually you'll find that right balance that works best for you, remember to factor in number of AI opponents if you race online as changing this number will mess with that balance quite a bit. Not to forget that some mods & tracks are more heavy on your system than others, it takes a bit of time but eventually you'll get there, also find a decent SuperSampling rate in SteamVR and stick with that, don't change it too much.

15. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I did try that, but seemed to make my system slightly worse. I am running an i5 4690K with a STRIX GTX 980Ti and 16GB RAM and since the update, runs very smoothly on medium settings. One of the things that I find personally is to turn off all unnecessary applications/processes. I am also running with 40 AI off-line and runs well.

16. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks for the replies all

Yeah it's for online use so needs to handle +30 cars, surprisingly it seems easier to find stability with AI only to get the disappointment of stutters from asw when I jump on the server when there is more then around 25 people on there.

It seems my simhub HUD was definitely one of the causes, it doesn't even have to be placed in the headset just having a window running chews up to much gpu power.

So I've had to abandon that for now and it seems my low settings are holding with just the occasional asw kick in.

Did monitor CPU usage before switching off simhub and it's maxing out at 50% so it may be more of a case of the 1070 holding me back.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

One reason increasing graphical settings doesn't increase FPS is because VR rendering in rF2 is currently CPU bound, as game needs to draw the scene twice. Second reason, is that Oculus renders at either 45 or 90, so if your computer is capable of say pulling off 85FPS it'll still be synchronized to 45, unless you turn ASW off. Because of that, if 45FPS is acceptable, you could crank up settings, it won't hurt anything. You could check GPU utilization in Afterburner, as long as it is below 90% you can still increase graphical settings.

18. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks iron wolf I'll check it out.

Tested this morning with my incredibly low settings and over 40 drivers on the server and all good. I'll leave them as is for now and will play some more after the race. Shame simhub kills fps so much but the new huds that have been released are pretty good.

Next question

Is there anyway to lower the virtual mirrors? (Better to have them on for multiclass racing)

They sit seriously high.

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Do you use vive or oculus?
    If you use vive, this might help.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rformance-improvement-vive.57849/#post-915880

20. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Oculus, but it seems to be stable now at least.

Figured out the mirrors too, setting a lower resolution seems to help, just have to keep it in 16:9 ratio so 720p is the closest together it seems you can get the UI.