RFactor 2 Advanced Car Set up Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 13, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi Fred,
    Thank you for your support.
    The changes from V1 to V1.1 are summarised in the OP
    copied here for your convenience.
    V1.1 added. Some corrections (such as Degna not Lesmo!), enhanced guidance on camber post "phase one" of the process, more info on differing brake disc sizes in the brake cooling section and grammar and spelling tidy ups. Thanks for the feed back.
    So its 98% the same.

You can order a copy by semding me a PM.

I am happy for you to review it on YT and to discuss the guide in general terms and quoting certain ideas/sections to support the review (like Simpit did I guess) . A full YT version is not permitted as there would be no need then to buy one!!

Sincerely
    David

2. David O'Reilly

Just a quick thanks to the drivers who have purchased the guide.
    Over the nect few weeks we will be adding some new content.

3. David O'Reilly

In answer to frequent enquiries,
    Just to let you know the guide is still available through the same sales process, IE simply send €5 to my paypal and I will forward the guide. Ensure you provide an email.
    Also want to thank the many drivers whom have paid me the compliment of buying the guide.
    The response has far exceeded my modest expectations.
    David

4. Louis

Louis Registered

5. David O'Reilly

Fellow drivers,
    Just to let you know that this guide is nearing the end of a substantial update to give it the benefit of lessons learned # in the intervening 2 years since its launch.
    My team has merged into ACR Zakspeed and we have collaborated on this later version.
    The update includes a freshen up and edit of some sections,
    A brand new section on "Finding Driver Performance"
    We have a new co author on board who is currently reading and working on the guide. I won't reveal who it is at this stage until he is happy to sign off on it. However in my view after the year he has had in 2017 there is nobody better qualified to do it.

The guide will now run to about 70 pages.
    There a lot of video links to help you, (prob 20 hours or so but who's counting) to illustrate points and to take away the boredom of just reading my ramblings. Some are bespoke, some existing ones.
    The forum link below takes you to two of the videos we have created to support the guide.

Pricing; The thorny issue of pricing must be addressed.
    • Firstly the old version is still available for sale and is still €5.
    • The New Guide will be launched @ €10 (or £8).
    • If you bought the old one you can get the updated one by simply paying the difference of €5.
    • If you were one of the amazing people who just out of the kindness of your heart paid me €25 or €30 for your copy of the original guide or paid for multiple copies for your team (instead of pirating) you get yours for free.
    • If you are a modder in this community who has created free of charge assets that we can all enjoy; be they cars, tracks or plugins then you get yours for free as well.
    • For everybody else, the investment in your knowledge and development is €10. (cheaper than 3 issues of motorsport or about the price of 2 coffees).
    Please can we avoid the massive debates about "everything should be free, it's a ripoff" etc. :) (If you want the entertainment it all happened 2 years ago earlier in this thread). If you deserve a free one (see list above) you get a free one. If not then we welcome and appreciate your patronage @€10 or alternately respect your consumer right to walk away.
    We expect to be in (virtual) print next week (week b4 Xmas).
    EDIT: It's looking more like Jan 10 now, my co authors are still studying the draft and I am still making the last couple of bespoke videos to support the guide.
    Sorry for the delay.

To pre order/order you simply send the purchase price to my paypal
    davidporeilly@hotmail.com
    Ensure your email is quoted correctly.
    If you are one of the generous people listed above then just let me know the story or send me a receipt.

Merry Xmas to all sim racers.
    David

# 2 seasons in Formula SimRacing, Multiple endurance races including a win in the 2017 24 Hours of the Nordschliefe and the obtaining of a real world motor racing license.
    Community Videos Thread

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Clemenca, marmagas, MarcG and 4 others like this.
  6. intweb

intweb Registered

Hi David,

Any update on the ETA for the latest version? :)

7. David O'Reilly

(actually 75 pages)
    Hi,
    Yes, was on it today just doing a final polish and edit and incorporating a section from a contributor. At 34,000 words and 84 pages (actually 75 pages :oops:) even spelling and grammar checks take some time :)
    Expect to be done by the weekend.
    I also have two more videos to make which should be on time, but if not I can "go to print" anyway and add them to the channel when finished.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    davehenrie and pkelly like this.
  8. David O'Reilly

SimRacers Guide Cover Flattened.jpg
    Just a note to say that the guide is in print. Thank you very much to those people who have generously ordered the guide.
    Pre orders have been shipped. If you didn't get yours drop me an email (sometimes the email addresses get corrupted by paypal and I have to delete spaces).

9. Celebdactyl

Celebdactyl Registered

I ordered myself a copy, too. I am sure that guide will help me iron out the last confusions with setup :)

David O'Reilly likes this.
  10. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Hi David. Great effort and guide. About that future video on how to use Motec mentioned in the pdf. It would be nice if you also send your telemetry for the guides Spa example for the buyers.

And a suggestion for the next guide you write. I think it would be better to use an official car like the FISI 2012 and an official track too.

Congratulations again for the guide.

11. caravan_driver

Some questions I had after reading the guide that perhaps the community can answer.

What is the right light to shift on the FISI 2012?
    In real life they get a blip on the earpiece. Carstats show max power on 17250RPM.

In 2012 Vettel was hitting the rev limiter pretty early on the straights in Bahrain. Whats the reason for that setup? DRS allowed everywhere in the track?

In real life they change the brake balance from 54 to 60 for ex from one corner to the next by choosing a preset. In the game that is not possible. Only tiny steps. How to manage that?

In real life F1 the drivers downshift apparently without any problems related to brake map like the rear stepping out immediately with a downshift. Is there something missing in the game? Maybe “engine braking” is a little bit different in modern F1. And in that case, what can we use to counter that? Holding a little throttle? Blipping during that downshift?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure how those specific lights are configured, but there's not unlimited precision when setting those materials up. The step size is maxRPM / 32 (each value is half a step above that) if I recall correctly, so if the rev limit is 18000 then the last light could light up at 17156 or 17718, but nowhere in between. (or lower, of course, but still the same step size)

I made a beep plugin for league use that gives shift indicator beeps and does DRS status beeps as well, I was considering releasing it more widely but I want to try and limit it to cars it makes sense in. Haven't really thought of a good way to do that yet.

Yes, at that time you could use it anywhere in practice and qualifying. I think that changed in 2013.

caravan_driver likes this.
  13. caravan_driver

As I moved on to tracks with long straights like Montreal I noticed that I can be as fast as in real life F1 but then I'm murdered on the straights in a race.
    Also I cant use DSR on any corner while IRL they would just let it open. Even in Silverstone first corners they dont even blink.
    Ive checked FSR from that time and they were really slow too doing 1:17. IRL is 1:13!
    In Monza the same thing.
    Is something missing in the game when it comes to low drag? IRL I see they use totally different wings like spoon wings.

14. Kevin Brookes

Kevin Brookes Registered

hi @davidporeilly is the latest guide ready for purchase? What does one receive? An email or a book delivered to my door or some sort of PDF document?
    Best regards

15. caravan_driver

Guys, how to ride kerbs on exit on a very fast car like the FISI 2012?

In addition to fast dampers rear, are there any tips on how to take this kind of kerbs better?

Think about Suzuka 18, Montreal 9, Silverstone 17.

16. David O'Reilly

Hi Kevin,
    Sorry for delay in reply I am working away.
    Yes its ready.
    It ships as a pdf file by email.
    Cheers

17. David O'Reilly

Hi
    I don't have specs on how engine braking works in current F1 cars. What I think is that there is a lot of electronic wizardry used to manage the transitions from internal combustion power to ICE plus battery.
    Likewise the deployment of rear axle harvesting and it's integration with braking.
    In the RF2 engine if you get rear lock ups on down-shifts you have the option to look at;
    Less engine braking (higher number). Softening engine braking is done by injecting fuel.
    Higher gearing ratios in the lower gears.
    Watching your shift points to avoid over rev on downshift.
    Brake bias fwds (The great FSR driver Morgan Morand used this and engine braking to great effect)
    This last option might be interesting if the lockups occur in big stops. Weight shift fwds is greater in such stops leaving the rear end a little light.
    Cheers

caravan_driver likes this.
  18. he02

he02 Registered

hi, david. I‘ve just purchased a new guide by paypal. If you can check that you receive the charge and send the guide to me. My email is hejiannan2002@163.com

19. Runibl

Runibl Registered

Just purchased it myself, looking forward to using this guide :)

20. David O'Reilly

I said 3 years ago that once my rig was up to date I would invest any surplus cash into real world racing.
    I guess you could say I have put my money where my mouth is, and yes the chassis adjustment chapter came in very handy when I needed to move the car from excessive oversteer. I softened rear dampers and stiffened front dampers and bingo, job done.
    First ever race weekend in an MSA/FIA sanctioned event.
    MX5 Super Series at Donington.
    Modest beginnings but substantial improvements over the weekend. 3.0 sec a lap found for 45 sec over race distance.
    Delta to race winner down from 7 sec in race 1 to 4.2 sec in race 2 with 14 laps of 15 within 1 sec delta.
    Just in case any sim racers want to see a fellow sim racer have a go for real, here is race 2.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018