Linking Thrustmaster t 300 s to game controls

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ermenasce, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ermenasce

ermenasce Registered

Just downloaded the game rfactor 2.
    I think I will love the game.
    However I cannot calibrate the steering wheel, accelerator, brake, gear up, gear down,etc.
    I went to the control page, and when I click gear up, they give me a message that I do not understand.
    The same thing with gear down, accelartor, etc.
    I just do not understand why they make this thing so complicated, as opposed to be intuitive.
    I need help in order to play the game.
    I am probably more an analog person than digital.
    Thanks in advance.
    PS I use iracing, which seems to me easier to play and I like that simulation.
    rfactor2 has some cars that I cannot find in iracing.
    One of them is a car similar to the Lola T70, and I have a real LolaT70 which is a handful
    600 HP and 885 kg, and I would love to be able to use rfactor2 to get used to that car.

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can you please post a screenshot of the message you are getting?

3. qusimano

qusimano Registered

I dont know if this is the same problem that occurred to me, but when my t300 was not recognized by rf2, it's because i messed up with steam big picture and it's controller configuration..just a hint:cool:

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

PLenty of users have Thrustmaster equipment and play without issue, so I'm inclined to think it is just his unfamiliarity with ISI/S397 menus that is causing the problem. Hopefully he can get that screenshot so his problem can get figured otu.

5. ermenasce

ermenasce Registered

Christopher,

Here is the situation.
    I went to the screen that says Controls
    I went down the list of items that I wanted to calibrate, such as brakes, throttle, shift up, shift down, etc.
    For example if you look at the list to the right of Shift Up there is a word: JOY 1Y-
    I click on that, and then I am moved to another screen which reads:
    Controller Assignments
    Press key or controller(ESC to skip) Shift Up.
    I know that I am more analog than digital, but what I am supposed to do.
    So I described the screens to you.
    Can you please describe the procedure that has to be followed, once I purchased the game, downloaded all the tracks and
    cars, so what is the step by step actions to be followed after you do that.
    By the way after I attempted to calibrate the controls I went to Race, but I could not shift up or down, or anything else.
    The car was stuck in the garage, and I had zero control over it.
    Thanks a lot,

Eduardo Menasce

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Sounds silly but do you press enter after having that message display,it only saves the key binding if you press enter after

7. ermenasce

ermenasce Registered

If this is what you said, it is silly, I will try it and let you know

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Joy1 Y- = Joystick #1 and the Y axis.(which is where your TS-300 should be assigned in windows) What the menu is asking is your choice for that assignment. If you have paddle shifters, you would then click the the paddle you wish to use for upshifts and repeat the procedure for downshifts. However IF you are using a gated shifter like the Lola's have, then you ignore these choices and scroll further down the menu to find the individual listings for 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc. Then you choose 1st gear, and the same dialog will appear which is asking you to place the shifter into the first gear slot You will repeat that process for each gear your shifter supports.(don't forget reverse!)
    good luck. I'm an old Papyrus/Sierra users, but never had the funds for iRacing. I think you will find several areas in the menus that seem counter-intuitive compared to iRacing.
    Calibrating the wheel and pedals is a little tricky because they have buttons under each option, but they do not click or give visual feedback. So you center your wheel and click on the center tag below. Then rotate the wheel full left and click , followed by full right and another click. Then check the wheel to insure the colored bar graph rises and falls to match your wheel's rotation. Same for the pedals. Take your feet off the throttle, and click minimum. Then fully depress the throttle pedal and hold it until you click on the MAX button. Repeat for the other pedals and press them all to double check they are set. Each should show a rising graph as you move the pedals forward and a falling graph as you release pressure on the pedals.
    The final item that might cause you confusion is the Sensitivity slider for the wheel and pedals. This = Linearity in iRacing but is displayed differently. 100% Linearity from the old GPL days meant the slider was moved to the far right. In rF2, that same setting is dead center on the slider. To your iRacing eyes, this might appear as only 50% and you would be expecting a rather dead wheel for much of the early movement. DO NOT mess with sensitivity until you become comfortable in the rF2 enviroment and then make little changes. To slow down the steering, move just a little to the left. If you want more steering sooner, then move the wheel just a-bit to the right.
    Another item that contributes to steering is the steering lock setting. You can choose 900 degrees or any value less. The higher the number the more you have to turn the wheel to reach the end of its turning radius. Good luck.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Click 'Shift Up' . Then press your upshift paddle.
    Click 'Throttle' . Then press the throttle.

You're saying, 'Hey! I want to assign this control!' And the game says, 'OK, what do you want to assign it to?' You then have to say, 'THIS!' by pressing the control.

10. patchedupdemon

How do you check if your wheel is assigned as joy 1 in windows,never seen anything for it,would appreciate some more info if you have time

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The thrustmaster app has an advanced button, it will show you a box listing all your input devices and you can choose there to assign the wheel as #1. That is the default setting if you only have one device. Some folks with joypads, flightsticks, or 3rd party shifters may also be displayed. Alternatively, you can reach the settings via the Windows Control Panel. This varies slightly between different versions of windows. So you may want to look this up. But here goes: From the start menu on the lower left corner of windows, type control panel, click on what comes up, then choose a hardware or a device option. Your wheel should be displayed somewhere in that section, you can right click on the icon and choose properties which should show the same dropdown box to choose your wheel's controller assignment.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

Thanks for the reply,I will check this out next time I’m on later today,thanks again

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

As far as I can tell (because I just checked), they are numbered according to how they are listed in the Windows Game Controllers screen.
    First in the list is Joy1, second in the list is Joy2..........

14. patchedupdemon

Just checked in windows 10 I don’t see any numbering system for joy in the devices section properties etc,even the advanced option in the Thrustmaster just asks which id prefer,between pedals and wheel.

Anyway when I calibrate the steering in rf2 it shows joy1 so I guess it’s set.

But if I load t300 profile in rf2 or press detect,then non of the wheel controls are correct and says steering axis is joy 5.

I don’t see the point in those profiles is non of the buttons are mapped correctly and you have to remap them all,or am I missing the point

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The detect wheel button loads a generic default group of assignments. However hardly anyone set's all their buttons up the same way. All you have to do is set things up once, starting with the detect wheel and then choosing all your preferences. Then save that with a name that makes sense. I used to have two profiles for my Logitech, one for the paddle shifters and one for cars that use the Gated H shifter.
    And you are correct about Win10. They just seem to give the choice of being the default device. I only have a Wheel/pedal combo without any extra addon input devices so I wasn't sure how Win10 would handle more than one input.

patchedupdemon likes this.